• 4yrs $11.5mm

Votes: 13 12.1%
  • 5yrs $15mm

Votes: 48 44.9%
  • 6yrs $19.5mm

Votes: 19 17.8%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Lol. The next head coach will get $1.5 —- max. Assistant pool will probably be around $2M.
If they could go $3m for a coach, and say $3-4m for coaches. That would be a pretty good haul.

think about this. The men’s and women’s top basketball assistant coaches all make more than any other coach besides head coach on the UConn FB staff.
They have to go a little more than $3M, for the next coach, and 4 for the assistant pool. That is if they aren’t going for a Chesney, Kelley, or Diaco’s brother.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Lol. The next head coach will get $1.5 —- max. Assistant pool will probably be around $2M.
If they could go $3m for a coach, and say $3-4m for coaches. That would be a pretty good haul.

think about this. The men’s and women’s top basketball assistant coaches all make more than any other coach besides head coach on the UConn FB staff.
John is that supposition or do you have insider info? My hunch, and it’s only that, is that both the head coach will be higher. I think the assistant pool is about right though.

Reaction Score
John is that supposition or do you have insider info? My hunch, and it’s only that, is that both the head coach will be higher. I think the assistant pool is about right though.

Hunch. I just don’t see with their budget how they can go into the $2m range. It will be a fiasco.

Interim president, Board an issue, gadflys who don’t like football, basketball people in administration and university who are bent out of shape that basketball isn’t the no. 1 priority of the school.

things like that. There is a passive hate of the football program IMO, that i observed over the last decade plus that has hurt the team.

I can tell some stories about behind the scenes rivalries, but that does no good.

it is never spoken about, but Dom Amore talked a bit about it in his column. Always an unspoken passive dislike of the resources used. Losing only enhanced the rage.

Think of it as not aligned and passive aggressive actions. And, I will flat out tell you, Diaco’s tenure inflamed this because he was massively a poor partner to work with internally.

Benedict has done a better job of aligning the programs, and a lot of the people involved have moved on, so it might not be as noticeable. So it is probably a lot better now. But always felt like UConn athletics was three distinct programs and ways of doing things. And they were always competing for resources.

Wild stuff.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

I think if we are going to be a serious program that 3/3.4M number sounds about right. Financially covering that nut is another matter.

I noticed in the Purdue game program, their list of coaches/staff was twice the size of UConn's. There is more to running a top level program than just the HC.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Hunch. I just don’t see with their budget how they can go into the $2m range. It will be a fiasco.

Interim president, Board an issue, gadflys who don’t like football, basketball people in administration and university who are bent out of shape that basketball isn’t the no. 1 priority of the school.

things like that. There is a passive hate of the football program IMO, that i observed over the last decade plus that has hurt the team.

I can tell some stories about behind the scenes rivalries, but that does no good.

it is never spoken about, but Dom Amore talked a bit about it in his column. Always an unspoken passive dislike of the resources used. Losing only enhanced the rage.

Think of it as not aligned and passive aggressive actions. And, I will flat out tell you, Diaco’s tenure inflamed this because he was massively a poor partner to work with internally.

I can totally see this. You have an elite group of two dozen M/W BB players sharing facilities/resources with 85-100 beer league guys. Fights over the buffet / gym would seem inevitable. And that's just people sharing space.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Can you share more on this? We knew Diaco was a horrible recruiter...a bad X's and O's guy...and somewhat crazy...but what did he do internally that was so bad?

Reaction Score

Benedict has done a better job of aligning the programs, and a lot of the people involved have moved on, so it might not be as noticeable. So it is probably a lot better now. But always felt like UConn athletics was three distinct programs and ways of doing things. And they were always competing for resources.

Wild stuff.
They get much much more than $2m if the Burton and Shenkman families want to help out. Especially Burton Sr and his two sons.

Reaction Score
If Moorehead is such a great coach then please explain why he failed in his one and only FBS head coaching job where he registered a pitiful losing conference record of just 3 wins in 12 games and registered a lackluster overall record of just 14 wins and 12 losses which caused Mississippi State to can him.

Note that no FBS team offered Moorhead a head coaching position after being canned by Mississippi State.

Come on, UConn should aim higher than someone that wins just 3 out of 12 conference games over a 2 year period.

Really? The guy just hung 35 points on the 3rd ranked team in the country. Nah, we don't need that kind of coach...

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Can you share more on this? We knew Diaco was a horrible recruiter...a bad X's and O's guy...and somewhat crazy...but what did he do internally that was so bad?
My disdain for Disco stemmed as an alumni association volunteer who had to work with him and it was untenable for me. Those around him were subjected to his lack of basic management skills and denigrating the people, history and resources around him.

Reaction Score
It says a lot that we don't think the school would come up with the money for a home run hire. 3 mil over 5/7 years I'd think would do it. Guess we'll settle for some unproven FCS rando instead.
First of all, there is no guarantee that anyone, no matter who he is, will be the right hire so the numbers and contract buy out provision required being discussed here should never be considered. What did we give Calhoun or Geno when they were hired? Without them we would still be playing in the old field house! Be happy for the opportunity change will bring. I’m still in the camp if Warde gave T.J. Weist a shot we would have been better off than the
Diaco years. I still think the RE2 hire was forced on DB it was announced 2 days after Diaco was let go.

Reaction Score
I think DB is going to have to make some hard life decisions. His career has no mobility unless he gets FB working well. He has to lay it on the line. Either he gets budget or walks. The only cynical move I wouldn’t put past political slime that is the BoT is buying DB off with a nice fat raise to keep towing the line of going through the motions and letting it die, which is undoubtedly what they want.

Reaction Score
I think DB is going to have to make some hard life decisions. His career has no mobility unless he gets FB working well. He has to lay it on the line. Either he gets budget or walks. The only cynical move I wouldn’t put past political slime that is the BoT is buying DB off with a nice fat raise to keep towing the line of going through the motions and letting it die, which is undoubtedly what they want.
No guarantees when you hire a new coach not matter what you spend. Texas hired a slam dunk with Tom Herman. Tom was paid over 5 million a year with the best assistant and facilities money could buy. He got fired after a few years. Nebraska got a slam dunk hire for around 5 million. Scott Frost is close to being fired. No such thing as a slam dunk.

Reaction Score
After Oregon beating OSU handedly, Moorhead probably isn't coming her for less than 5 mil with another 5 or 6 million for assistants. No way the political hacks known as the BoT will spend 10 million per year on football unless a deep pocketed donor ponies up 10's of millions of dollars. Maybe we can get one of them oil tycoons to rename Gampel after for like 50 million.

Reaction Score
I had a post. I don’t want to stir up old wounds. But he wasn’t nice to people and other employees of the university.
Welp, looks like I have 746 posts to read.

Reaction Score
Its going to take 3+ million minimum IMO, but I don't see him going outside of the P5 for his next job. Uconn should be looking at up and coming head coaches at the FCS and G5 Level for which 1.5-2 mil is life changing money. The fixation on coaches with some tie to Uconn like Lashlee or Joemo should end.

Reaction Score
We’re not getting JM, we’re not pursuing him. We’re looking for a youthful HC who can relentlessly recruit, energize the fan base, encourage donations and win. He can hire the OC DC that helps with the winning part. The HC must be the standout personality. Offer him and his key assistants substantial raises over their current situations, then factor in the right cultural fit, and you’ll have your man. He’s out there.

Reaction Score
We’re not getting JM, we’re not pursuing him. We’re looking for a youthful HC who can relentlessly recruit, energize the fan base, encourage donations and win. He can hire the OC DC that helps with the winning part. The HC must be the standout personality. Offer him and his key assistants substantial raises over their current situations, then factor in the right cultural fit, and you’ll have your man. He’s out there.

Do you have facts to back up your claims on Dave not pursuing Moorhead? Or is that just your own opinion? Honest question.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure people would play for morehead that normally wouldn’t ever consider UCONN. I don’t think he’s that old.
Don't let his snowy beard tell you otherwise. He's 47. That's not old.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom