Joe Moorhead rumors (and others) | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Joe Moorhead rumors (and others)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I'm predicting now that Moorhead eventually replaces Holgerson at WVU.
Didn't someone say that Moorhead had an interest in the BC position? maybe he was waiting for the Addazio years to end?

Reaction Score
Minnesota = Purdue = Wake Forest = Iowa St
Disagree, Minnesota is a step above all of those programs. They have a brand new stadium, large and dedicated fan base, no local or other in-state competition, and are situated in an attractive major city. They'll never be Ohio State or Michigan but are solidly in the middle and that program can be built to regularly compete in the league in the same mold as Iowa.

Reaction Score
Disagree, Minnesota is a step above all of those programs. They have a brand new stadium, large and dedicated fan base, no local or other in-state competition, and are situated in an attractive major city. They'll never be Ohio State or Michigan but are solidly in the middle and that program can be built to regularly compete in the league in the same mold as Iowa.
People forget how dreadful Wisconsin was before Barry Alvarez. I don't. That is your model program for any University of, that sucks at the moment.

Reaction Score
People forget how dreadful Wisconsin was before Barry Alvarez. I don't. That is your model program for any University of, that sucks at the moment.
Yep, another one with a setup similar to Minnesota, though a smaller city and older facility. Moorhead turning down MN is a bit puzzling, unless there's some serious toxicity with the administration up there. If he's holding out from mid-level but solid B1G jobs that can be built into contenders, what job is he holding out for? The next step is a upper level program - is he waiting to see if Kelly gets fired from ND next year or something similar? Those upper tier schools are going to be poaching head coaches from other schools, not coordinators. Outside of toxicity, it really doesn't make sense to turn down a HC job at a B1G flagship school with a lot of $ and brand new facilities, much less without even going to interview.

Reaction Score

Has anybody ever brought Minnesota to the top echelon of the B1G? Why not wait, while you have a solid offense for 2017, and pick a school that can reach higher than Iowa?

Reaction Score
Sweet new stadium though. better job than purdue or iowa state. theyre a middle of the road B1G team

I'm thinking, with another good year, he will have a choice that has a higher ceiling than a middle of the road B1G team.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking, with another good year, he will have a choice that has a higher ceiling than a middle of the road B1G team.
Name such a school?

Look at Wisconsin pre Alvarez. The right Coach elevates the program. Brian Kelley won at D2, Central Michigan, Cincinnati, and Notre Dame.

Joe Moorhead may prefer an East coast P5 school like an NC State tha5 may come open next year but is that more attractive than Minnesota?

Reaction Score
Has anybody ever brought Minnesota to the top echelon of the B1G? Why not wait, while you have a solid offense for 2017, and pick a school that can reach higher than Iowa?
But who higher than Minnesota will hire him? Yes, he'd have had two solid years as the OC at Penn State, but big-time coordinators often don't immediately step into top-tier P5 jobs. If he takes a HC job at a place like MN where he can have success, that positions him well in a few years to be a candidate for a ND/OSU/Michigan level job. Not that those specific ones would be open, but something on that level. Those programs don't hire coordinators. Plus, he'd be stepping into a team that just won nine games and last missed a bowl game in 2011, so no "rebuilding" is necessary. It's a good situation for someone with his coaching experience to move into.

Reaction Score
But who higher than Minnesota will hire him? Yes, he'd have had two solid years as the OC at Penn State, but big-time coordinators often don't immediately step into top-tier P5 jobs. If he takes a HC job at a place like MN where he can have success, that positions him well in a few years to be a candidate for a ND/OSU/Michigan level job. Not that those specific ones would be open, but something on that level. Those programs don't hire coordinators. Plus, he'd be stepping into a team that just won nine games and last missed a bowl game in 2011, so no "rebuilding" is necessary. It's a good situation for someone with his coaching experience to move into.

Valid points, but on the rebuilding? The players are supposedly jumping ship and it's pretty much a sheet storm going on, especially with Kill's comments. If all the drama was not there, then yes, but too much rebuilding to do.

Reaction Score
Valid points, but on the rebuilding? The players are supposedly jumping ship and it's pretty much a sheet storm going on, especially with Kill's comments. If all the drama was not there, then yes, but too much rebuilding to do.
Well yes, I agree the toxicity is the only logical reason to turn down that job. But even still, wouldn't it be worth it to interview for the gig and then remove your name from consideration if you find out for yourself that it's as bad as it sounds? To outright deny it without talking to them seems a bit puzzling.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Didn't someone say that Moorhead had an interest in the BC position? maybe he was waiting for the Addazio years to end?

I've only seen Moorhead to BC mentioned once in a PennLive article. Moorhead is a Pittsburgh guy and knows the recruiting turf around here very well. That would be very valuable at WVU. And Holgerson is on the hot seat.

Reaction Score
Minnesota has national championships. Before the Vikings existed. So do the Illini.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'd like a hot seat that just came with a 5 year contract extension?

Wouldn't we all. But doesn't change my opinion that if DH stinks it up in 2017 WVU will consider the buyout, even at $11 mill. That's how things work there.

Reaction Score

This is absolutely correct. The Minnesota job will likely be a death trap for the next coach that takes it. The players are pissed at the administration there and are talking about bulk transfers. It might be a multi year rebuild...and most fantasies aren't patient enough for that reality.

Joe is too smart for that. The next Minnesota coach will either be too desperate, or too confident for his own good....is my guess. I'm betting whoever is coaching there next season will not be there 3 seasons later.

Reaction Score
MN has 6 or 7 NC's if I'm not mistaken. Granted, it's been a bit.
They claim 7 national championships and 18 conference championships.

But none since 1967 I think.

However, it's not a terrible job with the right coach. Tough to compete with Nebraska, Michigan, Wisconsin, PSU, and OSU. I can understand why one might pass.

Reaction Score
MN has 6 or 7 NC's if I'm not mistaken. Granted, it's been a bit.

Minnesota is a very tough job. Last Rose Bowl was 1961. Been ranked 2x since 1968 (#17 both times). Poor local recruiting. Throw in the current mess and I don't know why a good up and coming coach would take the job.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
And so, if this is what reality is for Minnesota, bet it wasn't all peaches and cream for DB either.

Reaction Score
Well yes, I agree the toxicity is the only logical reason to turn down that job. But even still, wouldn't it be worth it to interview for the gig and then remove your name from consideration if you find out for yourself that it's as bad as it sounds? To outright deny it without talking to them seems a bit puzzling.

Maybe he knows the job is going to PJ Fleck anyway, kind of a done deal, so rejecting it rather than being shunned, is better for his mojo/image. Moorhead's stock is high right now and with another year like this season, he should have some pretty good choices. Jerry Kill said he would never step foot on the MN campus after what they did to Tracy Claeys. So for sure toxicity exists in Gopher land.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom