Joe Lunardi now has us as one of the last four in | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Joe Lunardi now has us as one of the last four in

Reaction Score
BE is obviously a huge inprovement over AAC but it is not P5 (and most of these pundits seem to think this has been a down year for the conference - - I think 8th in conference RPI currently) and the whole system favors the P5 schools unsurprisingly.

Look at Maryland’s resume. They are currently 8th in the conference at 14-10 (8-9) yet I think Lunardi has them as an 8 seed. Their quality wins are all in the B10 and they are 4-5 on the road. But, when you start the season with 6 or 7 teams from your conference ranked and you beat them that is automatically a quality win and when they beat each other none of them really fall in the NET rankings. I am not saying that a sweep of Iowa isn’t impressive or that Maryland isn’t one of the best 30+ at large teams out there but they have an advantage with the preseason rankings.

it really comes down to how many bids you think our conference gets? I worry that we lost the 5th bid to an 8th bid to a P5 conference. At 4 NBE teams, we are right there but we could miss out.
Bingo. You understand it exactly. It is what I’ve been saying about the NBE and the various ranking systems that are self reinforcing. I think the NBE will probably get 4 bids. Villanova will get a 2 or at worst a 3. Creighton probably 4. The other 2 will be filler bids. 8-12 range. If we get an 11 play-in ugh. THAT is the ultimate humiliation for a program that considers itself a major. Almost worse than getting an NIT bid.

Reaction Score
The exact Webster's dictionary definition and how the word is used colloquially are two different things.
I think here he's right about drowning. "I was drowning" means something more like "I was in the process of dying by suffocation by water, but then I was saved."

But I never like dictionary definitions as means to settle arguments because they are by nature descriptive and not prescriptive and therefore can never quite capture usage as it updates in real time.

But...yeah, I think even in common parlance people have to die to have actually drowned.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I'd rather be projected onto the 8 line with 2 games and the BET to go than the 11.

On Selection Sunday? That's a different story.
Agreed, at this point I think we should be shooting for the 6 seed. Gets us on the "soft" side of the region (away from the 1's) and is a spot that traditionally competes well against the 3's when they matchup.

I don't think its unreasonable to land there if we win the BET. The bad part about the 6 spot is that it may draw an 11 who played in the first 4. Ever since they started that at least one of those teams who gets the jitters out first makes a S16 run.

Reaction Score
I'd rather be projected onto the 8 line with 2 games and the BET to go than the 11.

I'm talking end result, not some this is where we are today so where will we be on selection sunday prediction. Obviously we'd like to get a higher seed than 8 but if it's between 8 and 11, I like 11, this year.

Reaction Score
I'm talking end result, not some this is where we are today so where will we be on selection sunday prediction. Obviously we'd like to get a higher seed than 8 but if it's between 8 and 11, I like 11, this year.
I mean, we fundamentally agree that you'd rather be an 11 than an 8. It's just that these projections are all "if the season ended today." They aren't imagining future results. So if I'm lookin at a Palm or a Lunardi projection, I know the team has the opportunity to improve by winning, and "season ends now and you're an 8" is better than "season ends now and you're an 11."

But end result, we agree here.

Reaction Score
I think here he's right about drowning. "I was drowning" means something more like "I was in the process of dying by suffocation by water, but then I was saved."

But I never like dictionary definitions as means to settle arguments because they are by nature descriptive and not prescriptive and therefore can never quite capture usage as it updates in real time.

But...yeah, I think even in common parlance people have to die to have actually drowned.
This is silly, but as some may have noticed, I love these stupid arguments.

1614614047156.png

Let's be specific about the argument. @Greathusky said he would drown himself in hot sauce and then do something that one would need to be alive to do. @businesslawyer pointed out that if one drowns, he or she is dead.

Sure, the original use of the word was figurative, and the discussion branched off in a few different directions. My only point is that the word "drown" necessarily involves dying. It can mean figurative death, like drowning one's sorrows in alcohol, to "kill" the sorrows. It can also mean potential death, like when a person who ends up surviving is described as drowning. The person who uses that word in that situation is doing so to indicate that the victim is at risk of dying.

Reaction Score
drown - be overwhelmed by a large amount of something.
"both business and household sectors are drowning in debt"

See Get a
This is silly, but as some may have noticed, I love these stupid arguments.

View attachment 65125

Let's be specific about the argument. @Greathusky said he would drown himself in hot sauce and then do something that one would need to be alive to do. @businesslawyer pointed out that if one drowns, he or she is dead.

Sure, the original use of the word was figurative, and the discussion branched off in a few different directions. My only point is that the word "drown" necessarily involves dying. It can mean figurative death, like drowning one's sorrows in alcohol, to "kill" the sorrows. It can also mean potential death, like when a person who ends up surviving is described as drowning. The person who uses that word in that situation is doing so to indicate that the victim is at risk of dying.
TZZAndrew, who I think is a great poster, actually said he doesn't like using dictionary definitions to settle arguments. As if the alternative to using dictionary definitions isn't just to fight about what individuals think the word should mean.

Reaction Score
The truth is no one knows how the committee is going to select teams this year, since the NET (and even the old RPI) is useless this year.
UConn is definitely in as of now, and would have to play their way out. When it comes to seeding, the committee will take Bouknight's absence intro account. I'd bet they'd be in the 7-9 range right now, with several more opportunities to improve their standing.

Reaction Score
The truth is no one knows how the committee is going to select teams this year, since the NET (and even the old RPI) is useless this year.
UConn is definitely in as of now, and would have to play their way out. When it comes to seeding, the committee will take Bouknight's absence intro account. I'd bet they'd be in the 7-9 range right now, with several more opportunities to improve their standing.
You know, I always said you PC fans were alright!

Reaction Score
4-1 the rest of the way should be the goal. That would land us as a solid 6 seed.
I know what you mean, but I think everyone on this board and on the team would agree there is only one goal. 5-0 up to Selection Sunday.

(Someone will disagree and say, "No, the only goal is win the next game." To him or her I say that's the same thing I am saying.)

Reaction Score

Top priorities:
1) Get in
2) Avoid a play-in game
3) Avoid the #1 seed

If we end up with a 6, 7, 10, or 11 (assuming not among the Last Four In), that will be a good outcome.

I think getting to a 7 or higher requires going 3-1 or better the stretch (i.e. win at least 3 in a row).

I think going 2-2 is probably OK to get in, likely 9 or 10 seed.

Going 1-2 is going to have us right on the edge.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom