Joe D leaving WTIC | The Boneyard

Joe D leaving WTIC

Reaction Score

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Hadn’t seen this posted yet but according to the Courant he announced he is done with WTIC. What’s that mean for us Husky listeners?

Sucks but I'll live unless they hire Suzy Waldman to do the games in which case I might boycott.

Reaction Score
Why he would want to do anything else but sports broadcasting is mind boggling to me. Maybe UConn and IHeart looks to hire him back?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why he would want to do anything else but sports broadcasting is mind boggling to me. Maybe UConn and IHeart looks to hire him back?
Maybe. I know he was pretty pissed at TIC for not letting him out of his contract when they lost the UConn contract.

Reaction Score
Sucks but I'll live unless they hire Suzy Waldman to do the games in which case I might boycott.

what if Craig Carton did the games using Susan’s voice. Would you listen lol

Reaction Score
If those are his views then I'm very happy that he is gone. Don't let the door hit'ya on the way out!

Reaction Score

We like him, but apparently ESPN and other sports networks/stations do not like him well enough to hire him, so why not take a job at home with an easy guy to work with?
Joe Tessitore, who is as generic as Brent Mussberger was for decades, sure landed in a good spot so it makes you wonder why D'Ambrosio hasn't found greener pastures.
Maybe it's as simple as they don't want anyone who could in any way be considered controversial in our PC world.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It appears his attitude towards a dissenting view - he can't handle it - so good riddance
I liked him calling the UConn games but people who really know the guy (many of my customers and some mutual friends) say he is really into himself and is overtly opinionated and biased
I don't know him but have met him many times at UConn athletic functions and he does emit a personality not like that when broadcasting games. I have never listened to his show.
WTIC is not what it once was...………………...

Reaction Score
It appears his attitude towards a dissenting view - he can't handle it - so good riddance
I liked him calling the UConn games but people who really know the guy (many of my customers and some mutual friends) say he is really into himself and is overtly opinionated and biased
I don't know him but have met him many times at UConn athletic functions and he does emit a personality not like that when broadcasting games. I have never listened to his show.
The like for WTIC is not what it once was...………………...

Reaction Score
Oh 100%. He’s an A hole but he’s our A hole

Reaction Score
I've listened to this guy longer than most on these boards and he is one of the most pompous radio personalities. But what annoyed me the most was him mimicking Geno A by beginning his on-air conversations with either "uhhh" or "ummmm" - everytime. This only started after he did many-a-interview with our women's bball coach. Didn't mind it from Geno however, because it was his shtick. This dude won't be missed. Rant over............

Reaction Score
I heard Joe do a couple of UConn hockey games last year, not sure what station, I think NESN, but he was really good. Knew the game, understood tactics, didn’t get into all the silliness he did with Wayne Norman, got the teams nicknames right, just a high caliber job. I was pretty surprised since I hated him as a football and basketball guy.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Great voice for UConn radio. Stick to that. Much better than the current guy. Joe D makes things exciting on the air. Bring him back please Let’s get back to our roots across the board

In my opinion at best Joe was workman like average. His voice is rather annoying and when he gets off of game calling, his ummms, ahhs, and general difficulty speaking without a game in front of him is painful.

He was in the right place at the right time for his carer with UConn sports.

I believe what he needs to realize he is an average announce with the ability to annoy people. He is in a small market doing a minor job. There isn't much else out there for him or he would have been gone a long long time ago.

Reaction Score
Joe D will always The Voice of Uconn Basketball, IMO. I remember when he was with WPOP, then came to WTIC. He arrived pretty much simultaneously with Jim Calhoun, or at least it seemed that way. And his call of Tate George's game winner vs. Clemson is perhaps the most memorable in UConn history. Say what you want about Joe D, but he'll always be a special part of UConn basketball for me.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Joe D will always The Voice of Uconn Basketball, IMO. I remember when he was with WPOP, then came to WTIC. He arrived pretty much simultaneously with Jim Calhoun, or at least it seemed that way. And his call of Tate George's game winner vs. Clemson is perhaps the most memorable in UConn history. Say what you want about Joe D, but he'll always be a special part of UConn basketball for me.

I agree. As I said he was in the right place at the right time. He became synonymous with the greatness of UConn basketball. His Tate George call will live on.In a game situation he was at his best. His best was very good but not great. As I said, I believe as a radio announcer he is an average voice working in a small market and his future choices are not overwhelming. I think in the end he will stay with WTIC or retire.

Reaction Score

Now that’s funny!!

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

*Casual Fan alert* sigh.

Reaction Score

Except he wasn’t on the call for The Shot. That was Bob Heussler’s magical call. And to this day, I wish he and John Stashower were still the UConn radio team (with all due respect to Wayne Norman).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom