Joe D leaving WTIC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Joe D leaving WTIC

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Except he wasn’t on the call for The Shot. That was Bob Heussler’s magical call. And to this day, I wish he and John Stashower were still the UConn radio team (with all due respect to Wayne Norman).

And that's why we can't have nice things around here. Sometimes you just have to leave the statement alone.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
People still listen to WTIC, huh? Who knew?
I remember calling Arnold Dean about how great and unheralded I thought Dave Tippett was. He agreed but made me carry the call. Unlike today's talk show guys who take your comment and run with it.

Reaction Score
Joe Tessitore is worse than the pandemic.
In the 90s I had first row seats behind the the press at Gampel. Forget who we beat but Tesitore was sitting in front of me. I happened to cross paths with him and said what an f.....great game!!!! He looked at me and said " no big deal, just another game man". Guys a .

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Except he wasn’t on the call for The Shot. That was Bob Heussler’s magical call. And to this day, I wish he and John Stashower were still the UConn radio team (with all due respect to Wayne Norman).
That call was so good it was used on all the replays instead of the TV guy. And Heussler was rewarded with the sack at season's end.

Reaction Score
If u guys really want to get deep about the tate shot, I remember being like 13 yrs old and dick Stockton had the call on cbs. Elden Campbell’s face is priceless. Then they went back to jim Nantz and Francesa in the studio Francesca looks hilarious. I think u can see it on you tube. Great times. The late game after that was Danny Hurley , grant bill and laettner vs UCLA and then we played them in elite 8 and you guys all kno what happened in that game

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
IIRC Kenny Anderson had a buzzer beater with a trey that for a bit was questioned if he beat the clock. I can't remember if that happened within minutes of the Tate shot.

Reaction Score
Joe D will always The Voice of Uconn Basketball, IMO. I remember when he was with WPOP, then came to WTIC. He arrived pretty much simultaneously with Jim Calhoun, or at least it seemed that way. And his call of Tate George's game winner vs. Clemson is perhaps the most memorable in UConn history. Say what you want about Joe D, but he'll always be a special part of UConn basketball for me.

SMH

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Man you guys are brutal lol. I don’t know him personally, but I imagine he reads this.
Would y’all say any of this to his face?

Reaction Score
Can't speak his mind? Like when he didn't know mic was on and he said, "That's what she said...." on air? Maybe it's best he isn't allowed to speak his mind.....

Reaction Score
Man you guys are brutal lol. I don’t know him personally, but I imagine he reads this.
Would y’all say any of this to his face?
Do you think Josh Carlton reads the boneyard? People here have been rough on him.

Reaction Score
people who really know the guy (many of my customers and some mutual friends) say he is really into himself
I don't even know the guy, but I was going to post that he likes himself a little too much for my tastes.

Reaction Score
In the 90s I had first row seats behind the the press at Gampel. Forget who we beat but Tesitore was sitting in front of me. I happened to cross paths with him and said what an f.....great game!!!! He looked at me and said " no big deal, just another game man". Guys a .
Fans are more invested in games than people who work in the space. For them it’s a job. Listen to any pro athlete after a bad loss. And in normal times out partying after a game win or lose

Reaction Score

Ruh-ro

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I asked Joe D to come on our family podcast a few months back. Wanted to a have an audio record, for my son, on our Four UConn Championships. He called the games. Joe D was generous with his time. Kind. Genuine. A really good sport. We enjoyed hosting him. Voice of our Huskies for so many moments. Great memories.

Reaction Score
Joe can be cocky sometimes, he apparently was very attentive to a Boneyarder's wife one time and he isn't the best play by play guy in the world, but he is very good at all levels. He's solid at color and play by play, he knows the state, the program and the coaches and he is "The Voice of UConn Athletics". I highly recommend bringing him back for another 5-10 years.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
A liberal in Connecticut, where could he find a job?

I just could never forgive him for calling Iowa State - the Hawkeyes. And he did it over and over.
One of my best friends thinks Michigan and Michigan State and Florida and Florida State are the same thing and uses them interchangeable. Even casually referred to USF as Florida once by asking me “what time are we tailgating for Florida?” This guy is a huge UConn/sports fan. It’s like he is missing a piece of his brain when it comes to this stuff and drives me crazy.

Reaction Score
Did we ever find out what happened regarding the change? Any particular reason they moved on to Joe D?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Did we ever find out what happened regarding the change? Any particular reason they moved on to Joe D?
WTIC gave up on UConn sometime during the Perno era. Once JC got the team good again, they regained the radio deal starting with the first post-dream team season. It was just a simple matter of Arnold Dean picking Joe D. over the guy who just delivered the greatest call in team history. Bob worked for the FAN and Joe was local so I'm sure there was a bunch of lobbing on his behalf. Mostly from Joe, I bet.

Reaction Score
I go back to Joe D. calling Shoreline Conference HS games on WLIS in the early 80's. Was just a kid, but loved the guy then and through all the UConn years. Was really disappointed when Crispino got the gig. A little bit of justice that the team slumped. Bring back Joe for another run...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom