Joe D and gresh cancelled | The Boneyard

Joe D and gresh cancelled

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I was not a huge Gresh fan and Joe D began to get very tiring, BUT that said, this area really needs a good drive home sports talk show that hits both local and national issues. I understand the darn pesky traffic and news updates but if done correctly, they can be handled in a very non intrusive manner. Really have no idea of who can or is available to host but you definitely need 2 so it doesn't become a one man/woman circus like that dolt Mike F on WABC.

Reaction Score
I thought they had phenomenal coverage of the potential Mayweather/McGregor fight, on several occasions.

Several occasions...

Reaction Score
Jacobs wrote an article about this that included some Joe D quotes and hit a lot of obvious points. In this state/market, its hard to do a Monday-Friday afternoon sports talk program when you are up against WFAN and the sports talk station in Boston which Joe D said. Also, you cant talk UConn all the time, there just isnt enough there especially in the off season like we are now. Im sure the ratings would spike during football/basketball season, but during the spring/summer, its hard to talk baseball on a CT station when you are between New York and Boston. Joe D mentioned Rob Dibbles show on the local ESPN station how they have the luxury of having the ESPN people as guests which can help, but I have never listened to one second of that show so I dont have an opinion either way.

Reaction Score
Joe D is angry and Gresh is an idiot

I would turn them on for a few when it was a UConn topic

Gresh was brutal when he'd fill in at times on WFAN

My favorite memory was when Gresh adamantly proclaimed that Florida St. to the Big 12 was a real possibility.

Reaction Score
Jacobs wrote an article about this that included some Joe D quotes and hit a lot of obvious points. In this state/market, its hard to do a Monday-Friday afternoon sports talk program when you are up against WFAN and the sports talk station in Boston which Joe D said. Also, you cant talk UConn all the time, there just isnt enough there especially in the off season like we are now. Im sure the ratings would spike during football/basketball season, but during the spring/summer, its hard to talk baseball on a CT station when you are between New York and Boston. Joe D mentioned Rob Dibbles show on the local ESPN station how they have the luxury of having the ESPN people as guests which can help, but I have never listened to one second of that show so I dont have an opinion either way.

Francesa is basically a parody at this point, and in Boston you have Felder & Mazz who are legit trolls and Dale & Holley who are completely forgettable (at least they don't have that homer townie guy Jerry Thornton anymore). Doesn't seem like such stiff competition.

Reaction Score
How does 1080 exist with the total crap that they have on? It's a waste of a powerful signal. Maybe the "guv" will return........ when he returns of course. Ha.

Reaction Score
Tough to find a tolerable sports talk radio program these days. Most are insufferable - filled with meatheads, idiots and hot takes. Too many shows, too many stations, too many hosts and too much time to fill. Over-saturation to the max.

Only time I ever turned on Joe D & Gresh was when there was big news coming out of Storrs and even then their stuff was less informative than Twitterverse.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
How does 1080 exist with the total crap that they have on? It's a waste of a powerful signal. Maybe the "guv" will return... when he returns of course. Ha.
1080 is a local FoxNews of radio of sorts with Jim Vicevich, Rush Limbaugh, and the former Church and State shows. They are able to exist because their audience is one that needs weather and traffic every 10 minutes on the eights. The Joe D and Gresh show could have been so much better, but it was clear from day 1 that Gresh was angling for a spot further up I-95, whether it be Providence or Boston. He never learned anything about his audience or the local market to the point of routine antagonization.

Speaking of the aforementioned T&WOT8's, it allowed for no more than 24 minutes of actual content in a given hour. Every 10 minutes was comprised of two minutes for Traffic and Weather, four minutes of commercials, and four of original content, where most of the time they took the first two minutes of the four to recap what they talked about in the previous segment. If there was a guest they would routinely have to abide a 6 minutes break, because the T&W OT8's were so sacrosanct.

Reaction Score
It was okay but it felt more like the News/Traffic/Weather & Commercial Show with some sports talk in between. There have definitely been worse local sports talk shows. Anyone remember The Backpage with Jason Page? Or the Paul Nanos Show?

Reaction Score
How does 1080 exist with the total crap that they have on? It's a waste of a powerful signal. Maybe the "guv" will return... when he returns of course. Ha.
50,000 watts. Huge reach against mostly 5,000 watt stations.

Reaction Score
It was okay but it felt more like the News/Traffic/Weather & Commercial Show with some sports talk in between. There have definitely been worse local sports talk shows. Anyone remember The Backpage with Jason Page? Or the Paul Nanos Show?

Jason Page was god AWFUL. Hard to believe, but he was worse than Gresh. I wish you never brought up that name again.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Dibble has a decent show. He's a radio personality who actually... has personality. Who would have thought?!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

The Backpage was the worst show I've heard. I had a coworker that would listen during the day and just taunt him with emails about the nonsense he came up with.

And there had to be no one listening because he'd always go back and forth with him on email.

Reaction Score
Jason Page was god AWFUL. Hard to believe, but he was worse than Gresh. I wish you never brought up that name again.

The Backpage was the worst show I've heard. I had a coworker that would listen during the day and just taunt him with emails about the nonsense he came up with.

His screech/sound of voice was the worse.

Reaction Score
They had their flaws,and the format was tough, but it certainly was nice to have a local sports talk show when local issues came up. It was a good listen during football season and lots of the hoops season. They also covered the Yard Goat stadium saga very well. It would be a shame to lose that local voice. Hope TIC keeps it local.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Dibble is awful aswell and boring.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
WTIC is going to talk radio and more than likely will bring in nationally syndicated show

My guess is Sean Hannity, though I wish it would stay a sports show till 7pm .

I am a conservative but I prefer sports talk in all honesty

Reaction Score
WTIC is going to talk radio and more than likely will bring in nationally syndicated show

My guess is Sean Hannity, though I wish it would stay a sports show till 7pm .

I am a conservative but I prefer sports talk in all honesty

I don't see how they could pull off a syndicated show during rush hour with all the breaks WTIC requires. Maybe I'm wrong but seems like the only two times you can't do syndication are the AM and PM commutes.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I don't see how they could pull off a syndicated show during rush hour with all the breaks WTIC requires. Maybe I'm wrong but seems like the only two times you can't do syndication are the AM and PM commutes.

WABC in NYC does it with Hannity, so can Hartford. I don't like it, but I think it is where they will end up come next week.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Tough to find a tolerable sports talk radio program these days. Most are insufferable - filled with meatheads, idiots and hot takes. Too many shows, too many stations, too many hosts and too much time to fill. Over-saturation to the max.

Only time I ever turned on Joe D & Gresh was when there was big news coming out of Storrs and even then their stuff was less informative than Twitterverse.

That's just it. All these guys are inferior as news 'sources'. Twitter crushes anything like this with it's immediacy, succinctness, and delivering multiple sources/views instantaneously.

The only thing these shows have to offer are hot takes and interviews. People seem to like the former. I think it's boring but what do I know.

Reaction Score
Joe D is angry and Gresh is an idiot

I would turn them on for a few when it was a UConn topic

Gresh was brutal when he'd fill in at times on WFAN

It was quite the misfit with him on the FAN. A Brady/Belechick a**sucking Pats fan talking to Giants and Jets fans?

Reaction Score
That's just it. All these guys are inferior as news 'sources'. Twitter crushes anything like this with it's immediacy, succinctness, and delivering multiple sources/views instantaneously.

The only thing these shows have to offer are hot takes and interviews. People seem to like the former. I think it's boring but what do I know.

This. ^^^

Lots of fluff and commercials with attempts to get a hot take that gets some reaction. In this day and age, I just like my info when I want my info. It's the same with music. Why listen to an FM station, suffer through the DJ's jokes and the commercials hoping you might like the next song when so many other (better) sources are available for better content?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom