Jim Mora Expected to be Named HC | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Jim Mora Expected to be Named HC

Reaction Score
I like the hire for all the reasons previously stated. Again, I would have preferred a coach with a recent track record of running great offenses but let's be real - none of them were coming here for various reasons. If Mora picks Mazzone or someone who is not the next GDL/Verducci at OC we should be OK.

Reaction Score
Thought this was good.

It makes for a nice tweet. But while it's obviously incredibly prestigious to be a head coach in the NFL, I'm not at all sure that NFL coaching is nearly as good a preparation for college coaching as college coaching is.

Again, not saying anything good or bad about the hire yet.

Reaction Score
I think Edsall brought in some good young talent and I don't think this is a major rebuild. I think offensive coaching has really held the team back and UConn did not have an experienced OC this year and it showed.

This year, UConn should have won 4 to 6 games given the schedule: Holy Cross, Wyoming, Vanderbilt, UMass, Yale, Middle Tennessee.

I think Benedict is thinking this way as well and he doesn't want to see the program torn down and rebuilt over 3 to 4 years. It may take a few years to get to a 7 or 8 win season, but it shouldn't take long to get to being consistently competitive. Bring in some key talent from the portal and hire a competent offensive coaching staff and I think the program is stabilized. And, I think bringing in Mora now will help prevent players from leaving as Mora is a well respected coach with an NFL pedigree.

I think you will see some of the coaches stay, but just because they are staying doesn't mean they won't be evaluated next year. Some of the assistants that could stay: Spanos, Dottin-Carter, and maybe Corey Edsall (recruiting) as well as some of the off the field staff that are involved in recruiting.

Reaction Score
They have lost to holy cross and umass. Nearly lost to Yale. Yes coaching sucked. But not a talent problem? Insanity.
I don't think it's a talent problem as much as a depth problem. Which I guess goes hand in hand, but we have the playmakers on the offense to be pretty good. Look how well the team played with Tyler and Mazzone's offense. There are pieces there for success, but the problem lied in terrible coaching, play calling Stevie Wonder could see coming and lack of depth. I fully believe we can put up some numbers with the right OC calling the plays

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
The only thing I didn't like about Mora's press conference was not talking about winning right away. On film it looks bad, and in person maybe worse. But there are some really good skill players here who with better coaching can do some things. However, nothing against Tyler Phommachanh, we need 2 portal/juco qb's in here asap. He might not be ready for September and we need the depth anyway. Get a good QB in the saddle and between Carter, Marion and Ross, there are some really good tools to work with.

Reaction Score
What can go wrong with a football HC at a frat or sorority party in 2021 with everyone having mobile devices?
Frat Party Fighting GIF by Power Book II: Ghost
Beer Pong Party GIF by Roxy Ball Room

Reaction Score
They have lost to holy cross and umass. Nearly lost to Yale. Yes coaching sucked. But not a talent problem? Insanity.
Having gone to all the home games for the past 20 years and watched all the road games over the same period, I view it as the current roster/2-deep is young and talented (as compared to many of the previous rosters of UConn talent). They don't have the skill and experience yet to make W's happen. The coaching has been weak for the past 5 years. I think we'll see these players rise over the next few years (assuming better coaching coming in) and the win total will rise accordingly.

Last edited:

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
1) Hard to imagine someone with a better resume in terms of football knowledge and head coaching experience
2) I don't know how important the Head Coach is in the recruiting process, but I have to imagine that recruiting to UCLA (then) and to UConn (now) are very very different things - does he have the ability to identify and attract talent that wants to come here? Recruiting to a turnaround can't be the same as what he did at UCLA (where he said himself they had talent) and I'm worried he doesn't have that experience (like an Al Golden would have)
3) OC hire is going to be so so important
4) Timing of the hire is great - allows him to get to know the roster, start the recruiting pitch and retaining important talent - we never could have done this with someone else who was currently on a staff (either as a HC or Assistant)
5) The reactions of this board is certainly more positive than I would have thought - my very immediate reaction was "retread" but you're all pulling me to think more optimistically
6) Hope he's immensely successful

Reaction Score

-> "I'm looking forward to the next three weeks where I can do some evaluation of our players, of our staff, of our program in general, and get a feel in person for the level of talent," Mora said. "What I've seen when I've watched games on television is a team that's going through a really difficult transition and yet they're continuing to fight for each other, continuing to play hard, continuing to demonstrate effort and a good attitude. I think those are things that we can absolutely build on." <-

Reaction Score
Agreed; maybe hiring someone like Chesney or Moorhead might’ve turned out to be a home run, or they might’ve been spectacular failures like Diaco. Hiring Mora was a smart, safe call, like kicking the chip shot FG rather than going for the TD on 4th and goal.
Agreed; maybe hiring someone like Chesney or Moorhead might’ve turned out to be a home run, or they might’ve been spectacular failures like Diaco. Hiring Mora was a smart, safe call, like kicking the chip shot FG rather than going for the TD on 4th and goal.
I like Morehead. That is who I wanted. But let’s not act like a 60 year football coach is old and that this was a reach.

I don’t know if it will work from a recruiting standpoint. But, from a football coach ability standpoint… His resume annihilates any other guy who was speculated for the job.

Reaction Score
1) Hard to imagine someone with a better resume in terms of football knowledge and head coaching experience
2) I don't know how important the Head Coach is in the recruiting process, but I have to imagine that recruiting to UCLA (then) and to UConn (now) are very very different things - does he have the ability to identify and attract talent that wants to come here? Recruiting to a turnaround can't be the same as what he did at UCLA (where he said himself they had talent) and I'm worried he doesn't have that experience (like an Al Golden would have)
3) OC hire is going to be so so important
4) Timing of the hire is great - allows him to get to know the roster, start the recruiting pitch and retaining important talent - we never could have done this with someone else who was currently on a staff (either as a HC or Assistant)
5) The reactions of this board is certainly more positive than I would have thought - my very immediate reaction was "retread" but you're all pulling me to think more optimistically
6) Hope he's immensely successful
Love the hire for all these reasons, I liked how or offense immediately showed signs of life with the Mazzone hire and I think he would be a great to keep as OC.

I really loved how he talked of hitting the portal to immediately augment our recruiting.

We basically had 2 senior starters on offense and a ton of talented youth - with the connections he has to bring in staff who have the ability to grab 7 or 8 impact guys from the transfer portal (say 2 or 3 OL guys, a QB, some CBs and pass rushers) we can become competitive quicker then any normal rebuild, and that is what excites me the most.

I also hope Corey Edsall gets a shot to stick around, he has done an awesome job recruiting and his presence probably keeps some of our top recruits - with a an improving program his ability to recruit should only get better.

Reaction Score
I like Morehead. That is who I wanted. But let’s not act like a 60 year football coach is old and that this was a reach.

I don’t know if it will work from a recruiting standpoint. But, from a football coach ability standpoint… His resume annihilates any other guy who was speculated for the job.
Jim Mora is physically healthier than Joe Moorhead. Sometimes you are only as old as you feel and Mora is a physically active person

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I was just running some errands and the thought came across my mind that maybe Dave B was the house guest from hell and Mora was too nice a guy to kick him out so he eventually took the job just to get Dave B to leave.

I think there's actually a real low brow, easy $$$$ comedy to be made from that plot.
Or maybe Benedict like broke something or something and Mora took him to court and the judge sentenced Benedict to be Mora’s butler…

DDE4C8DE-88A9-4D2D-91F7-6F724FA71BE1.jpeg

Reaction Score
If Mora hires the right Offensive Coordinator, I think the hire will go well.

PP could have succeeded at UConn, but he made one critical mistake in hiring GDL as OC and OL coach when he had Joe Moorhead as OC and Mike Foley as OL coach already on staff and he didn't quickly evaluate the roster which resulted in using a walk-on QB his first year. PP brought in better QB talent than Diaco or Edsall 2.0: 2011: Nebrich (although Edsall recruit), 2012: Chandler Whitmer (JUCO) and Casey Cochran, 2013: Tim Boyle and Richard Lagow (who soon left), but GDL was such a disaster that it ruined PP's chance for success.

Reaction Score
Jim Mora is physically healthier than Joe Moorhead. Sometimes you are only as old as you feel and Mora is a physically active person
I agree. I was worried about hiring Moorhead due to his recent health issues which have not been publicly disclosed.

Reaction Score
It makes for a nice tweet. But while it's obviously incredibly prestigious to be a head coach in the NFL, I'm not at all sure that NFL coaching is nearly as good a preparation for college coaching as college coaching is.
200% accurate.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
I think the age thing can only be truly appreciated if you've been there. I know some fellow 60+ year olds that look like and have the energy of a 40 yr old. I also know 40 year olds guys who look and act like they're either 60+ or stuck on 20 something . I'll take the former as HC for UConn football, which I believe Mora is.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score

Dunno if FHCJM will succeed or not. Being 58 myself and still capable of kicking , and still looking for new opportunities and challenges, I am not as hung up on the age thing as some, and I wish him the best and am optimistic about the program precisely for the reason he cited in the quote. This confirms Pudge's post about his ability to demonstrate that he gets it. UConn is a national brand and JM thinks he can build on it. Exactly what he needed to say, I'll be at every home game next year.

Reaction Score

And Saban would really rather us forget that he was an NFL coach.

Reaction Score
I also hope Corey Edsall gets a shot to stick around, he has done an awesome job recruiting and his presence probably keeps some of our top recruits - with a an improving program his ability to recruit should only get better.
Spanos staying likely helps Corey's chances of staying since Spanos might recommend him.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Spanos staying likely helps Corey's chances of staying since Spanos might recommend him.
Corey has to go.

Would have liked Spanos to go too, frankly. I like that keeping him seems to be a part of grabbing Mazzone, but the arrangement with JMJ seems backwards: he can carry offensive water but needs a really solid DC, which Spanos has not proved to be for us.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I get the kids like Spanos and Mora knows Spanos and Spanos may have put AD David Benedict onto Mora, but has our Defense really been good enough to hold him over? Not saying yes or no, but Mora has to know a lot of people. I know or D has been pretty good for the first 20-25 min of most games and not so great after that. Is that on the coach or do our guys just get tired quickly?

Reaction Score
I get the kids like Spanos and Mora knows Spanos and Spanos may have put AD David Benedict onto Mora, but has our Defense really been good enough to hold him over? Not saying yes or no, but Mora has to know a lot of people. I know or D has been pretty good for the first 20-25 min of most games and not so great after that. Is that on the coach or do our guys just get tired quickly?
Mora is a defensive guy, so I’m not too worried about Spanos staying if Mora wanted to keep him.

Reaction Score
Mostly because our Offense is wretched and our defense gets tired and demoralized. Oh and our asst coaches make zero adjustments

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom