Jim Mora Expected to be Named HC | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Jim Mora Expected to be Named HC

Reaction Score
We've been hemorrhaging money since the move up to FBS. Something like only 20 schools have an AD that operates in the black. You can't make money without investing in the program.

Did you read the discussion before criticizing? I did not say we had to get in the black. I said that a prior statement saying DB would be judged entirely by basketball success was just wrong. The fact that you know your AD will run at a deficit is not the same as saying you don’t care how large the deficit is..

Reaction Score
We are not a tiny state. We are ranked #29 in population nationally, ahead of Iowa, Kansas, Nevada, etc.
Fine, we’re not tiny, we’re just below average, AND overall we don’t produce many FBS-level recruits.

Reaction Score
A man takes 45 minutes to shower up, get dressed and pack for a trip and look what happens.

I'll go back and read everyone else's comments, but immediate thoughts:

1. Definitely name recognition and cache of coaching in NFL and HC at UCLA. A+++ on branding
2. Has to have a fat rolodex of qualified people he can bring in as staff. A+++ on coat tails
3. Little to no experience in northeast and Mid-Atlantic. C
4. Has personality and camera friendly demeaner to promote the program. A+
-Bonus of working the booth and having media contacts for publicity.
5. Coach named 3 weeks before end of season to shore up recruiting. Huge. A+++

Will it work? Who knows? But AD David Benedict definitely found a highly qualified coach, reflecting a search which had to be national in scope. Good job for the AD.
Agreed; maybe hiring someone like Chesney or Moorhead might’ve turned out to be a home run, or they might’ve been spectacular failures like Diaco. Hiring Mora was a smart, safe call, like kicking the chip shot FG rather than going for the TD on 4th and goal.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Stupid post. So somebody in their 50's can't be invested in the program? Just stop. Stick to hoops.

59 isn't old for a CFB coach. In our particular case if he's successful it might be better than having a younger guy still looking to move up the ladder.

Mora's last jobs were UCLA and the NFL, he isn't leaving to go to Iowa State. He'd leave for Penn State or the Philadelphia Eagles and if either one want's him, we'd all sign up for that outcome because it means we win a lot of games in the next 3-5 years.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Nice running of a tight ship by the UConn AD. AD Dave has been out of state spending 4 straight days with a new HC and none of the beat writers got a sniff of the news (Or, they were told to hold it or forever lose their access). No one noticed AD not at the game on Tuesday? National media releasing names yesterday and none of them had Mora on the list?

That's tough to do in 2021.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Nice to see UConn Football in ESPN's front page "Top News" headline without it being insulting.
Screenshot_20211111-132133_ESPN.jpg

Reaction Score
Not only are the hires of P and Randy 2.0 irrelevant, there’s a world of difference in their statuses. P & Randy were both fired at their last college jobs, while Mora was successful at UCLA.
Wasn’t Mora fired at his last college job?

Reaction Score
I like to check out message boards of other former rivals and see that they still follow our UCONN Huskies. They can kick us while we're down but they know they can't keep us down. Many are impressed with this hire and I have a feeling this is the turning point. UCONN making national news again.

Reaction Score
I like to check out message boards of other former rivals and see that they still follow our UCONN Huskies. They can kick us while we're down but they know they can't keep us down. Many are impressed with this hire and I have a feeling this is the turning point. UCONN making national news again.

Not once have I gone to bed depressed because we weren’t national news, or our rivals weren’t talking about us. I want to win football games again. That is the only way that this will or will not, in hindsight, be the right move.

Reaction Score
yeah but ... you are the same Tuthill that opined we ought to drop to FCS and I - vociferously state that nobody would do that after a $300m Investment. So I do watch your posts closely
That is not what I said and you know it. Stop spreading misinformation. If you can find a quote where I said that, I will withdraw my objection. Until then, stop with the Stop.

Reaction Score
AD Dave has been out of state spending 4 straight days with a new HC.
Notwithstanding the rarity of it not being discovered by a prying press corps, something tells me that the more Benedict and Mora discussed the opportunity, they more they got to know each other, liked what they saw and enjoyed hanging out. Said another way, it's hard for me to envision Benedict staying 4 days at the home of Edsall, Pasqualoni or Diaco.

Reaction Score
Wasn’t Mora fired at his last college job?

Yeah with a winning record.

I admit that I completely forgot that he existed. But I always liked the guy. He has very little filter. Like the time he said that Washington was his dream job as the Falcons head coach.

His offenses were always modern and with Michael Vick he was ahead of the curve.

Unlike Randy I do think he will find it easier to attract good coordinators and assistants.

I also think he impresses with recruits and parents.

Reaction Score
HA ... you want me to dive into revisionist history whilst we are all excited about a new hire of a meaningful football name. We at The Boneyard (and actually BY-Football is a few years younger than GREATER BY) know that any - ANY - head coach hire was going to be found wanting by some who post here. And that many many of our fellow travelers are grumpy after an amazing 10 years in the football wilderness. I hope to buy Mr Tuthill a beer during our first sellout in the Rent post-hiring Coach.

and ... I am looking forward to tracking the future progress of Coach Chesney without worrying whether that reach was the correct grand leap or the miserable risky descent into hellhole. And of course ... the Presbyterian idiot.

Reaction Score
I have found that after the last few football hires I talk myself into why it was the right move. When they hired PP...it was similar to Mora in that I hadn't even considered him...but I figured his link to CT and previous success would be beneficial. When they hired Diaco, he wasn't my first choice but I saw his personality and I thought after PP, maybe that's what they needed...a young energetic coach. With RE, it felt like our only way out of Diaco hell...and he would bring back competence and integrity.

I was wrong each time...and here we are again. I hadn't thought of him as the next coach...but I really wanted a coach who was a successful head coach. No coordinators. He fits that bill. I was hoping for an offensive coach. He doesn't fit that bill.

So...I am optimistic. Hopefully his staff selections will give me hope that the team will run a modern offense. And hopefully they spend some money on coordinators.

I do wonder if I am once again just talking myself into why this is the right move...but...it does feel the right move. Sigh...I hope this time I am not disappointed...lol.
No, I don’t think you’re talking yourself into liking it. I also thought Diaco seemed promising, but the Pasqualoni hiring was clearly a mistake from the get-go, and Edsall 2.0 smacked of desperation.

Reaction Score
Not once have I gone to bed depressed because we weren’t national news, or our rivals weren’t talking about us. I want to win football games again. That is the only way that this will or will not, in hindsight, be the right move.
I concur. I am too close to be objective so I like to see the perspective from outsiders once in a while.

Reaction Score
Anyone know if Mora was being scouted for other openings? Was he a candidate anywhere else in the past few years?

I am wondering if AD Dave reached out to him first or if Mora was first to express interest in the opening.

Why UConn? Why now?

I don’t mind the hire at all but just wondering about some of those questions above.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This guy is a pro, a motivated pro. He knows what needs to be done and how to do it better than anyone on the board. There's a lot to be said for hiring competence over flash. UCLA hired a pro for hoops when all of the flashy hires fell through. They got the right guy. We got the right guy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom