Jim Mora Expected to be Named HC | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Jim Mora Expected to be Named HC

Reaction Score
That's going to be the big question. Now because of the transfer portal, UConn can "recruit" 3-4 stars that they might not have been able to in years past. If he can start improving the talent level here quickly, things can get better fast. Let's certainly hope they do.
The other good thing about focusing on the transfer portal is that if you can identify guys with demonstrable FBS-level ability (as opposed to trying to project from HS performance), you might have a better chance of getting them interested in coming to UConn if they only have to spend 1 or 2 years in Storrs.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Anyone know if Mora was being scouted for other openings? Was he a candidate anywhere else in the past few years?

I am wondering if AD Dave reached out to him first or if Mora was first to express interest in the opening.

Why UConn? Why now?

I don’t mind the hire at all but just wondering about some of those questions above.
He reached out to Benedict..

Reaction Score
Anyone know if Mora was being scouted for other openings? Was he a candidate anywhere else in the past few years?

I am wondering if AD Dave reached out to him first or if Mora was first to express interest in the opening.

Why UConn? Why now?

I don’t mind the hire at all but just wondering about some of those questions above.
Benedict said he wasn't on his short list but someone gave him his name and said he would be the right guy, he wouldn't yet say who. Mora said he reached out, but not exactly how he did that.

Mora said once he saw the opening he was excited, has been to the facilities before, wanted college, and with his family gone, wants to get back in the game. He said UConn is a national brand, with good baseball, field hockey, basketball.

Reaction Score
Why now? They picked him, no reason to wait and now he's got the chance to hit the ground running. Now recruits know who the guy is, there is a certainty that will help. He can start to get to know the guys on the team already, figure out who should and shouldn't be recruited hard to keep them out of the portal. He can assess talent needs both on the team and within the coaching staff.

Reaction Score
Why now? They picked him, no reason to wait and now he's got the chance to hit the ground running. Now recruits know who the guy is, there is a certainty that will help. He can start to get to know the guys on the team already, figure out who should and shouldn't be recruited hard to keep them out of the portal. He can assess talent needs both on the team and within the coaching staff.

... and this is crucial to getting OUR next year well situated for a leap forward to the first steps to a winning Program. Get Mora around the Team and working; knowing talent; recruiting existing players (remember we have an ungodly number of Fr & Soph) and the diminishing list of verbals.

Methinks ... in this era of Transfer Portal ... the roles of Ryan Steinberg and Mike Zyskowski are pretty important. WE need the eyes on talent and the reaching out in the next 3-9 weeks to be super intense.

Reaction Score
Yes, fired after going 46-30. Still “successful“ enough for me at this point. (I also root for the Giants, lol).

THE UCLA Bruin fanbase has unrealistic expectations - always - and you would have to look very carefully at the record/schedule. When you win every year's National Championship in Hoop for a decade, you have a core donor base that believes you should be NATIONALLY relevant. And ... the Pac 10/12 is a demanding year. I think Mora had one year with Brett Hundley as QB (with Spanos as DC and Mazzone as OC) that he was like 10-3. His losses were to Oregon who was #2; Stanford at #9; and Arizona State at #19.

It is a tough spot in Westwood.

Reaction Score

Why UConn? Why now?

Mora reached out to UConn. And the now is because his UCLA deal pays him through this season with an offset, so if he had taken another coaching job, he would have been coaching for free. Instead he took a job at ESPN to wait out the deal, and now that it's over, he apparently thinks UConn is appealing enough to get back in.

Reaction Score
Yes, fired after going 46-30. Still “successful“ enough for me at this point. (I also root for the Giants, lol).

He averaged 7-4 at UCLA. I am fairly certain that is better than his predecessor or anyone who followed him. College football is not a video game. Spouting a coach’s record is fairly meaningless without knowing what school he was at and whether the program has been better or worse, and how much with other coaches.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nice running of a tight ship by the UConn AD. AD Dave has been out of state spending 4 straight days with a new HC and none of the beat writers got a sniff of the news (Or, they were told to hold it or forever lose their access). No one noticed AD not at the game on Tuesday? National media releasing names yesterday and none of them had Mora on the list?

That's tough to do in 2021.
Now that you mention it. That is crazy he was able to talk to him for a month and spend 4 days in Idaho interviewing him without so much as a peep at it happening in this day and age.

Reaction Score
Wow. Good get! Mora is a big name & should help with the recruiting, which is what is needed most for the next 5 years. Bring in some qualified assistants to help with the coaching.

Reaction Score
Mora checks almost all the boxes. If you had told me a month ago that he was in play I would’ve told you you’re crazy. Like this hire a lot. Head coach. Offensive minded. Can probably attract/retain Spanos and Mazzone. Knows the west coast juco scene. Willing to use the portal but not for mercenaries Straight shooter. Seems like he and and Dave are aligned on the vision. Willing to reach into the various constituent communities. Best of all. No flipping fish cakes

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom