Jim Mora’s new staff coming together… | Page 22 | The Boneyard

Jim Mora’s new staff coming together…

Reaction Score
In his second year at UT Martin, the Skyhawk defense ranked as one top defensive units on both the conference and national stage. The Skyhawks boasted the OVC’s top scoring defense in 2019, allowing an average of 19.5 points per game and just 20 touchdowns in league play. UT Martin also paced the league in pass defense efficiency (111.0), redzone defense (73.0 percent), defensive touchdowns (three), sacks (25) and turnover margin (+5) while sitting second in kickoff coverage (39.9). On the national level, the Skyhawks ranked in the top-25 in blocked kicks (9th), punt return defense (10th), blocked punts (11th), defensive touchdowns (11th), fewest penalties per game (15th), fewest penalties (19th), pass defense efficiency (20th) and interceptions (25th).

they look good to me.
Going off of this. Young coach with ties to region. Tons of experience around solid programs. Improved their defense first year in. That’s my thinning plus HCJM is defensive minded so having a younger coach is beneficial.

Reaction Score
The hits just keep on coming! Good times!

Oh Yeah Surprise GIF

Reaction Score
Loving the trends on the staff we're bringing in if indeed the case. Guys with experience across the board. Noticing " Assistant Head Coach " on a few of the coaching bios I Googled as well. Definitely looks like a much better prepared group that we're putting together. Experienced leadership.. Looks like we're getting serious now. Can't help but get excited about this.

Reaction Score
O

I guess I am impressed with how Mora networked his way nationally. And quite frankly, he would have been uniquely praised by hiring Mazzone. Maybe Spanos - that was the expected path. Instead, we find he has this breadcrumbs of coaching ties that probably is not new. Polizzi did not cross paths with him at UCLA. But the Hilliard tie. The little bit of buzz Osborn has. That is not something status quo; probably something DB talked about in Idaho. Mora wanted younger relatable guys that could forge a culture. And this is his choice.

Reaction Score
O

I guess I am impressed with how Mora networked his way nationally. And quite frankly, he would have been uniquely praised by hiring Mazzone. Maybe Spanos - that was the expected path. Instead, we find he has this breadcrumbs of coaching ties that probably is not new. Polizzi did not cross paths with him at UCLA. But the Hilliard tie. The little bit of buzz Osborn has. That is not something status quo; probably something DB talked about in Idaho. Mora wanted younger relatable guys that could forge a culture. And this is his choice.
It just feels like he's done his homework and talked to a lot of people. This may not be a flashy group to outsiders but it seems like there's a lot of quality experience inside. And the younger demographic shift has accelerated.

Reaction Score
I've been watching highlights of UT Martin. They are very aggressive on defense. Plenty of blitzing. Three down lineman but blitzing on almost every play. I would expect some of our edge rushers to be converted to LB's

Solve your problems with aggression is back!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Last time we hired a FCS DC in Crocker things couldn't have worked out worse - just saying. I'd like someone with DC experience at the FBS level.
I get that, but, this time around we've got a group of guys coming in with head coach aspirations clearly. These guys appear to bring a little more to the table as a whole. Yeah, JM is a little older, but he sure doesn't live his life like that....and pretty much the entire staff is a generation young than he is, with quite a bit of coaching experience across the country, not just in one region of the country... I think we're on to something this go round. It'll be good trying to figure out how to keep these guys around...because if they get us rolling again finally, other schools will poaching our assistants. Good problem to have

Reaction Score
Good coaches are good coaches. Everyone starts somewhere.
Agreed brother... Crocker did a pretty good job at Elon after leaving here... Now he's about to build his own thing from the ground up at Eastern University in PA.... Starting at D3 level, to play starting next Fall then they join a conference in 2023... I think he did something right.... Just wasn't the right fit here is all....

Reaction Score
I get that, but, this time around we've got a group of guys coming in with head coach aspirations clearly. These guys appear to bring a little more to the table as a whole. Yeah, JM is a little older, but he sure doesn't live his life like that....and pretty much the entire staff is a generation young than he is, with quite a bit of coaching experience across the country, not just in one region of the country... I think we're on to something this go round. It'll be good trying to figure out how to keep these guys around...because if they get us rolling again finally, other schools will poaching our assistants. Good problem to have
So much more conforting typing from a desktop as opposed to a "Smart" phone... Hopefully that note above was understood.. I missed a few words while messing around with the big thumb dilemma on my phone....

Reaction Score
I've been watching highlights of UT Martin. They are very aggressive on defense. Plenty of blitzing. Three down lineman but blitzing on almost every play. I would expect some of our edge rushers to be converted to LB's

If this is our guy at DC, I'm OK with this... I like how he switches up defenses, disguises blitzes... Can't remember when we've done that lately...

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
The Last time we hired a FCS DC in Crocker things couldn't have worked out worse - just saying. I'd like someone with DC experience at the FBS level.
When Crocker came here- he ran a 3-3-5. We had Diaco lumbering tall players who didn't have the speed to run the D. It was known before the first practice by both Edsall and Crocker but for some reason they didn't adjust. It was a total disaster. The concept was fine, it was RE's execution.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
When Crocker came here- he ran a 3-3-5. We had Diaco lumbering tall players who didn't have the speed to run the D. It was known before the first practice by both Edsall and Crocker but for some reason they didn't adjust. It was a total disaster. The concept was fine, it was RE's execution.
Exactly, Billy is a good coach.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We have edge rushers? Who knew.

We fans know opponents weren't scared or intimidated by UConn's defense since they said you saw the pre-snap alignment and that was what UConn was going to do. Absolute failure on defensive staff.

OTOH, was there anyone on UConn's defense that showed the speed and strength necessary to be an effective edge rusher? Someone who could line up and have the possibility of playing the run, shadowing someone in coverage or getting to the QB? IDK of any defender who showed above average speed and would have put fear, or at least doubt, in the offense, as an edge rusher.

Reaction Score

Huh. So that is where Bobby Petrino ended up.

Reaction Score

is it just me or does this defense look like crocker's 3-3-5... PTSD is hitting me fast.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
We fans know opponents weren't scared or intimidated by UConn's defense since they said you saw the pre-snap alignment and that was what UConn was going to do. Absolute failure on defensive staff.

OTOH, was there anyone on UConn's defense that showed the speed and strength necessary to be an effective edge rusher? Someone who could line up and have the possibility of playing the run, shadowing someone in coverage or getting to the QB? IDK of any defender who showed above average speed and would have put fear, or at least doubt, in the offense, as an edge rusher.
Our best DE, Kevon Jones, had more offside than TFL's this year. Watts came off an injury and never looked the same, but he is young. The rest were either freshman, as in McCarthy or Harris, or DeVaughn, who has never been big or fast enough to be more than a role player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom