Jim Mora’s new staff coming together… | Page 36 | The Boneyard

Jim Mora’s new staff coming together…

Reaction Score
Seems like they have a lot bigger staff than before. A GM, an Executive Director, A Director of Player Personnel, and I believe a Director of Football operations. Seems like those 5 were 1 or two people before, I could be mistaken.
What do these people do? What are their roles?
Assistant Strength and Conditioning CoachAthletics MI Football (Athletics Men Intercollegiate)495930Storrs CampusDec 24 2021
Is this an addition of the current strength and conditioning staff? I had read somewhere on the board that they were going to increase the commitment on this end but can't remember if it meant more salary to retain staff or to add

Hard to tell who’s who until the dust settles and new Mora titles/responsibilities are in place…

Preston PehrsonGeneral Manager
Rebecca Dunstan
?? Status
Director of Football Office Administration

Ryan Steinberg (out)Assistant AD for Football Operations
Michael ZyskowskiDirector of Player Personnel
Kevin CohnAssistant Director of Player Personnel
Shaun CookAssistant Director of Player Personnel
Matt KingDirector of Football Strength and Conditioning
Anthony GrassoAssistant Strength and Conditioning Coach
Quan ThompkinsAssistant Strength and Conditioning Coach
Chauncey ScissumAssistant Strength and Conditioning Coach

Reaction Score
Do I get some sort of certified boneyard sleuth medal or pin?
The coveted Golden Husky Award:

FBDB0ED9-23FB-4D59-82BC-9D42229F0BB8.jpeg

Reaction Score
Honestly it sounds like the program is being run more like a professional sports team. Which goes to show they are taking this seriously.
Could be because we seem to have an adult HC who wants the program to succeed and wants to hire good people and give them authority to do their jobs. Nice things usually happen when you do that. Let's hope it works here!

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Hard to tell who’s who until the dust settles and new Mora titles/responsibilities are in place…

Preston PehrsonGeneral Manager
Rebecca Dunstan
?? Status
Director of Football Office Administration

Ryan Steinberg (out)Assistant AD for Football Operations
Michael ZyskowskiDirector of Player Personnel
Kevin CohnAssistant Director of Player Personnel
Shaun CookAssistant Director of Player Personnel
Matt KingDirector of Football Strength and Conditioning
Anthony GrassoAssistant Strength and Conditioning Coach
Quan ThompkinsAssistant Strength and Conditioning Coach
Chauncey ScissumAssistant Strength and Conditioning Coach
Rebecca is the university provided administrative assistant. She has been there for a very long time.

Reaction Score
Stability from a failed regime with no demonstrated success recruiting and no career prospects. Great. This hire gets a resounding F, and the school knows it or they wouldn't have come out weeks ago saying nobody was being retained.

Frankly, I'd just assume the school save the money and have Mora run the D (which is what is going to happen anyway).

Yeah I don’t know about that. Jackson Mitchell and a few others are his recruits and Mitchell was leading the nation in tackles for a while.

We don’t really know how good or bad the defense is.

Reaction Score
Other than we do know that UConn lost their best player you mean.

I am not sure that I buy the total incompetence assessment. I suspect there is more to it than that.

Reaction Score
Yeah I don’t know about that. Jackson Mitchell and a few others are his recruits and Mitchell was leading the nation in tackles for a while.

He ended up finishing third in the country. Which is still amazing.

Reaction Score
Other than we do know that UConn lost their best player you mean.

I am not sure that I buy the total incompetence assessment. I suspect there is more to it than that.
I agree the talent needs to be upgraded but we ran basic antiquated schemes on both sides of the ball for too long. Football has been changing for a long time and the rule changes all favoring the offenses are a sign of that, but we hired 3 consecutive coaches who wanted to run the ball and play field position all game while our opponents gashed us for big plays. It truly has been a decade of insanity.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

The holidays are coming and I am going to try my best to be positive and sign up for we don’t know what we have.

Reaction Score
While all of Mora's hires speak to a new professionalism and a much needed commitment to make this rebuild succeed, let's be real; the new OC, Nick Charlton, is the key piece to our improvement puzzle.

Based on what he described on a Zoom call, he's a proponent of using multiple sets with both pro style and spread concepts and stresses protections both with the O-Line and RB's. He's a fan of using running backs in the passing game--and a huge fan of using multiple tight ends to move the offense vertically with slants, screens and seam routes--as contrasted to the horizontal game we've been playing for far too long with lateral runs by speed challenged backs, and those dreaded bubble screens that hold the record for gaining the fewest yards in college football.
Charlton previously announced the obvious, that "Football’s all about the QB. You have to have a good one. And of course the O-Line". So let's see how that works out. But apropos of all that, I was told by an "insider" to pay attention to the University of Utah's offense under Andy Ludwig for a glimpse of what we might look like. Whether that was good intelligence or not, I'll be paying special attention to the Rose Bowl.

Reaction Score
While all of Mora's hires speak to a new professionalism and a much needed commitment to make this rebuild succeed, let's be real; the new OC, Nick Charlton, is the key piece to our improvement puzzle.

Based on what he described on a Zoom call, he's a proponent of using multiple sets with both pro style and spread concepts and stresses protections both with the O-Line and RB's. He's a fan of using running backs in the passing game--and a huge fan of using multiple tight ends to move the offense vertically with slants, screens and seam routes--as contrasted to the horizontal game we've been playing for far too long with lateral runs by speed challenged backs, and those dreaded bubble screens that hold the record for gaining the fewest yards in college football.
Charlton previously announced the obvious, that "Football’s all about the QB. You have to have a good one. And of course the O-Line". So let's see how that works out. But apropos of all that, I was told by an "insider" to pay attention to the University of Utah's offense under Andy Ludwig for a glimpse of what we might look like. Whether that was good intelligence or not, I'll be paying special attention to the Rose Bowl.
I'd say the head coach, both the coordinators and all of the position coaches are the key to our improvement (I wish it was just one side or the other). Special teams is not too bad. Both sides of the ball have so much needed improvement and with that each position on both sides of the ball need improvements quickly. One can easily argue positional skill teaching is at least as needed as scheme improvements and S&C improvements. LOTS to improve for sure.

Reaction Score

Here you go

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Nick Charlton.....he's a proponent of using multiple sets with both pro style and spread concepts and stresses protections both with the O-Line and RB's. He's a fan of using running backs in the passing game--and a huge fan of using multiple tight ends to move the offense vertically with slants, screens and seam routes
I'm just happy he has a plan. I'm even happier that the plan sounds modern and enjoyable to watch. I love the use of TEs.

Reaction Score

Speaking of which, what happened to the conjecture that the Maine QB was coming? Looks now like he may have been told that would be unseemly? (On the theory that one doesn't where one eats, to put it crudely.) Or is this still a possibility in some minds?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom