Jim Fuller's early thoughts on Uconn - Baylor | The Boneyard

Jim Fuller's early thoughts on Uconn - Baylor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
great analysis If I may add one thing. If UConn scores over 70 pts they win. Under 70pts and it will be close.

Reaction Score
The last graph was interesting...I just assumed Kelly would be on Sims...

Thanks for posting the link, Pap...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Great piece by Jim. I think we may see a variety defenses to help keep Baylor's offense off balance. I expect the press to be active to keep the clock short in the half court and minimize vulnerabilities there and the risk of fouls. I, also, expect that Baylor will want to slow the game down. It will be a huge error for them to want to run against our speed. Running negates their size advantage and likely leaves them chasing and fouling.

Reaction Score
Of all the teams I've seen, no one can play 40 minutes of swarming defense like UCONN can. If our defense is there and we can stay out of foul trouble I like our chances. One or more of our players will step up and have a great game, I believe at least one of them will also be a frosh.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Of all the teams I've seen, no one can play 40 minutes of swarming defense like UCONN can. If our defense is there and we can stay out of foul trouble I like our chances. One or more of our players will step up and have a great game, I believe at least one of them will also be a frosh.
Amen, CTP, it is a defensive storm like no one faces until they play UConn. More like a hurricane lasting the duration than a twister that blows through and is gone. Offensively, the big issue will be to avoid trying to win the game in 5 minutes. Hitting a shot or two in rhythm to start the game would go a long way to resolve that.

Reaction Score
I believe that Kelly will match up with Pope in the half court. Although she gives away an inch or two, her quickness and toughness can help keep her off the glass. Tiffany matches up on Sims. Her quickness and reach makes it harder for Sims to see the floor and shoot. I expect a big game from Caroline and KML. Stephanie just needs to play a nice smart strong position game defensively , and take what is give on the offensive end. No stupid fouls. My biggest concern, is how the zebras call this game. Do they let them play as in Tenn. vs. Rutgers last night, or call it tightly?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I believe that Kelly will match up with Pope in the half court. Although she gives away an inch or two, her quickness and toughness can help keep her off the glass. Tiffany matches up on Sims. Her quickness and reach makes it harder for Sims to see the floor and shoot. I expect a big game from Caroline and KML. Stephanie just needs to play a nice smart strong position game defensively , and take what is give on the offensive end. No stupid fouls. My biggest concern, is how the zebras call this game. Do they let them play as in Tenn. vs. Rutgers last night, or call it tightly?
I would expect Geno to rotate defenders on Sims so that she'll see Tiff, Caroline and Bria in her face from time to time. It would be great if Brianna could come in to help as her quickness is amazing but she's had a deer-in-the-headlights look in the bigger games played so far.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I would expect Geno to rotate defenders on Sims so that she'll see Tiff, Caroline and Bria in her face from time to time. It would be great if Brianna could come in to help as her quickness is amazing but she's had a deer-in-the-headlights look in the bigger games played so far.

One thing that has frustrated me as I watch BBanks play defense is that for someone SO quick--both laterally and forward--she often is content to let her defender get into the lane while riding her close, in anticipation of blocking a shot or disrupting somehow. (I'm not saying she does this all the time but she has done it quite often, even in games against powderpuff teams whose guards are not all that.)

She is perhaps *uniquely* equipped to keep any and all players in front of her when she so chooses, either turning them or drawing the charge. She's that quick. But as a young freshman, she understandably does not yet have the consistent 'tude and defensive skillset of a Kalana Greene. If the coaches can develop that in her pronto, she will be a major factor, pronto.

I recall in one game a few weeks ago, Geno put her in and she was guarding on the perimeter right near the UCONN bench in a somewhat nonchalant fashion. Geno stomped his foot and exhorted her to get up and apply pressure, after which I think she made a dumb foul. She will be great but she needs to focus, get a little edge about her, and learn how to use her amazing gifts at the top D1 level. I agree that she has had the deer in headlights look sometimes. She will come along, probably at a more 'traditional' freshman pace than we all would like.....I have a feeling that when she breaks through, she will really REALLY break through, like an explosion of talent that has the rest of WCBB shouting "not fair!!!"

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
She will be great but she needs to focus, get a little edge about her, and learn how to use her amazing gifts at the top D1 level. I agree that she has had the deer in headlights look sometimes. She will come along, probably at a more 'traditional' freshman pace than we all would like.....I have a feeling that when she breaks through, she will really REALLY break through, like an explosion of talent that has the rest of WCBB shouting "not fair!!!"
I agree, Brianna will be a good one. It's fortunate that UConn has depth at guard this year and she can develop at a pace that's comfortable for her (with Geno & Shea 'nudging' her along as needed). If she'd had to come in a perform at a high level immediately, as Bria did last year, it could have damaged her confidence. Luckily that's not the case.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I agree, Brianna will be a good one. It's fortunate that UConn has depth at guard this year and she can develop at a pace that's comfortable for her (with Geno & Shea 'nudging' her along as needed). If she'd had to come in a perform at a high level immediately, as Bria did last year, it could have damaged her confidence. Luckily that's not the case.

Absolutely - Bria has rare mental toughness and moxie that allowed her to shine under the big lights even as a frosh. I see KML and Bria as similar in that respect. This is why in my earlier "who takes the last shot" posting, I said "Bria or KML" and left it at that without overanalyzing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom