Jim Fuller update on A'ja Wilson | The Boneyard

Jim Fuller update on A'ja Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Nothing much new... last two officials scheduled.

LINK

HGN

Reaction Score
Wow.............A quick check of the schedule says that Tennessee will be at home playing against LSU on the scheduled visit of January 2--4th. I am guessing that not many students will be back from XMAS break as well. Campus may be a little less exciting and a little less vibrant during those dates. LSU may just give the Lady Vols a good game and just may spring the upset. I am sure Tennessee would have loved for the visit to have been scheduled when a cupcake was on the dinner table instead of a tough steak.

Also , a check of the schedule says that South Carolina has the misfortune of having to play the Kentucky Wildcats on Wilson's scheduled visit dates. Dawn Staley probably didn't have much hand in Wilson's scheduling her visit dates on such a tough game night here either. The Wildcats of Kentucky will probably feel right at home in South Carolina's backyard and could have chicken for dinner on such an important night for Gamecock recruiting.

Most coaches probably like talking with recruits after a big game win. But this has a chance of not looking good , especially for South Carolina if the Gamecoacks can't handle the Wildcats.

I still think the Huskies are the Lead Dogs in this chase. And as they say , if you aren't the Lead Dog the view never changes.

Let's Go Huskies , Let's Go!!

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Yes LSU game is the game that Candace Parker will have her jersey retired. So I expect that game to be sold out.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
If I remember correctly two prerequisites are large fan base for WCBB not Football and NC opportunity. I guess that leaves only UConn. Im hearing USC leads and UConn is a close second, but I have to wonder if the wait til after her senior year has to do with all the calls to stay in SC. Don't forget her friend is Breanna. BTW Tenn just got into the mix. In any event theres not much else UConn can do and certainly no convincing because when you number 1 well theres only one number one.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
In terms of atmosphere much better to schedule for a big game than not even if it means you lose - KY may beat SC but I would suspect it will be better attended than some of the lesser opponent games. LSU with CP getting her Jersey retired should be a big time celebration regardless of outcome.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Yes LSU game is the game that Candace Parker will have her jersey retired. So I expect that game to be sold out.
They don't sell out. Why would you expect it?

Last year,when they put a banner up in honor of Summitt, against #2 Notre Dame they had only 13,500 in the 21K+ arena.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
They don't sell out. Why would you expect it?

Last year,when they put a banner up in honor of Summitt, against #2 Notre Dame they had only 13,500 in the 21K+ arena.
Tennessee does normally lead the country in attendance. Parker is one of the most popular players ever there. Even if it's not a complete sell out there will be a very big attendance for this game. It's against a quality team in LSU. I also think Parker is Wilson's favorite player. I am not saying where she will go. I think she is doing a smart thing in taking her time.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Wow.............A quick check of the schedule says that Tennessee will be at home playing against LSU on the scheduled visit of January 2--4th. I am guessing that not many students will be back from XMAS break as well. Campus may be a little less exciting and a little less vibrant during those dates. LSU may just give the Lady Vols a good game and just may spring the upset. I am sure Tennessee would have loved for the visit to have been scheduled when a cupcake was on the dinner table instead of a tough steak.

Also , a check of the schedule says that South Carolina has the misfortune of having to play the Kentucky Wildcats on Wilson's scheduled visit dates. Dawn Staley probably didn't have much hand in Wilson's scheduling her visit dates on such a tough game night here either. The Wildcats of Kentucky will probably feel right at home in South Carolina's backyard and could have chicken for dinner on such an important night for Gamecock recruiting.

Most coaches probably like talking with recruits after a big game win. But this has a chance of not looking good , especially for South Carolina if the Gamecoacks can't handle the Wildcats.!

Perhaps, this is not a coincidence.
Perhaps, she wants to see those teams in competitive games.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure we quite have the quals to be saying "only" 13,500.

One issue is that Tennessee ticket prices are much cheaper. Good seats for $15. General admission for $10 or less. Same tickets in the Excel Center are $23. I wonder what UConn would draw if they went back to the old days of $10 tickets.

Reaction Score
One issue is that Tennessee ticket prices are much cheaper. Good seats for $15. General admission for $10 or less. Same tickets in the Excel Center are $23. I wonder what UConn would draw if they went back to the old days of $10 tickets.
Everything in Tennessee is much cheaper. Not sure why entertainment would be any different.

Reaction Score
Well, I hope she enjoys herself. The fans of these four schools are on pins and needles.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I'm not sure we quite have the quals to be saying "only" 13,500.

If course I have the quals (whatever that is) to point that out. My point had nothing to do with Uconn.

Stwain said it would be a sellout. I only pointed out that for Summittt, the didn't sell out.

The "only" meant compared to a sellout. They haven't been over 65% in several years.

Geeeez.

Reaction Score
Cost of living is generally lower in Tennessee than most northern states. Also if we had a smaller arena, prices would be higher based upon supply and demand.

Reaction Score
If course I have the quals (whatever that is) to point that out. My point had nothing to do with Uconn.

Stwain said it would be a sellout. I only pointed out that for Summittt, the didn't sell out.

The "only" meant compared to a sellout. They haven't been over 65% in several years.

Geeeez.
FWIW, I do not expect us to sell out. Attendance is down all across WCBB and if we can't sell out Notre Dame when they're raising Pat's banner, I doubt we'll sell out LSU with CP, but I do expect 14,000

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Ms. Wilson is, by all accounts, a highly intelligent young lady, and it does not seem likely that the number of fans at a particular game or the outcome of the game would play much of, if any, part in her long-term plans. She has given herself a long time to consider all the factors involved in that decision, and I would be very surprised if she is not at least 90% sure at this point what her decision will be. We all profoundly hope that the national exposure and opportunity for maximum development at UConn will be the deciding factors, but whatever she decides she will be ok and so will the UConn program.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
FWIW, I do not expect us to sell out. Attendance is down all across WCBB and if we can't sell out Notre Dame when they're raising Pat's banner, I doubt we'll sell out LSU with CP, but I do expect 14,000
Which is exactly what I said to Stwainfan when he said it would be a sellout. It won't even be close to that.

Reaction Score
Ms. Wilson is, by all accounts, a highly intelligent young lady, and it does not seem likely that the number of fans at a particular game or the outcome of the game would play much of, if any, part in her long-term plans. She has given herself a long time to consider all the factors involved in that decision, and I would be very surprised if she is not at least 90% sure at this point what her decision will be. We all profoundly hope that the national exposure and opportunity for maximum development at UConn will be the deciding factors, but whatever she decides she will be ok and so will the UConn program.

she does seem very intelligent in how she is handling the whole process. she has said recently that she wants to play in front of large crowds. any athlete of her caliber would i suppose, which is why i still don't understand why diamond and crew decided to play in front of a couple hundred people every night. what is a large crowd to wilson? who knows....

Reaction Score
I suppose so. What is the price of a ticket at Thompson-Boling for wbb these days, anyway?

depends....you can get gen admission for 10 bucks. the floor seats are very expensive and mostly for season tix holders. people usually donate thousands of dollars for those seats and then pay more at the beginning of the season. not cheap at all for the good ones. most LV season ticket holders have had tickets for generations and just pass them down to the next family member. very hard to break through and get prime seats. they are a hot comity.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
she does seem very intelligent in how she is handling the whole process. she has said recently that she wants to play in front of large crowds. any athlete of her caliber would i suppose, which is why i still don't understand why diamond and crew decided to play in front of a couple hundred people every night. what is a large crowd to wilson? who knows....

Everything isnt about playing in front of big crowds. If it was.... then Iowa State would get more top tier recruits than they do. As much as I hate to say it.... I hear that Chapel Hill is a great place to go to school.... campus... weather... academics.... Its proximity to other desirable cities is something that Storrs and Knoxville cant compete with. I assume college kids still like to go out on the weekends.... shop... dining.... party... clubs.... perhaps going to see concerts and all of that. Knoxville and Storrs cant compare in that regards.

But anyway.... lemme go jump in the shower.... i feel rather icky right now :oops:

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Everything in Tennessee is much cheaper. Not sure why entertainment would be any different.
True - cost of living is significantly different which I am sure affects ticket prices somewhat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom