Jim Christian out @ Boston College | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Jim Christian out @ Boston College

Reaction Score
understand it could be a geographical challenge but BREILIN is a GREAT GREAT coach and belongs in college basketball
BC messed up when they got rid of O'Brien, HE had had them rolling w all his boston connections.
It showed they were not serious about being big time players in college bball.
The Pitino YAHOOS will be the first to blast Hurley for recruiting when mr do anything to get recruits started operating.
Who is Breilin? If you're talking about John Beilein he's an excellent coach and would never take the BC job.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
tough call - stay coaching in the A-10 or commit career suicide.

actually, no it’s not - stay coaching in the a-10 - no brainer.
Nah, he could easily go to BC for a million a year, get fired in 4 and probably still get a decent gig at a lower level if he doesn’t totally screw the pooch.

Reaction Score
They should hire Beilein. If they can’t, Eisley is a decent choice. He’s young enough to relate and recruit, but has good experience. He was also part of the last really good BC teams.

In terms of Dan Hurley taking the BC job, no. UConn in the Big East is a top 15 job that will be a top 6 job once Dan Hurley gets us back to the Final Four. And he will. Patience.

Reaction Score
Lots of things make UConn a much better job than BC. But if you could be successful in the ACC vs the new Big East, I guarantee 9 out of 10 coaches would take the ACC.
Recruiting kids 2 hours farther away from Manhattan than UConn to play in a conference where you spend the majority of your away games ~3 hours a way by plane in a completely different part of the country is not a better job, ACC aside. There is a ZERO chance 9/10 coaches would pick BC over Big East UConn. ZERO chance. I'd say 9/10 would pick UConn over BC given the hurdles with their position in a mostly southern conference with zero recruiting advantages. What do you tell kids? Come play in the ACC where you get pumped by teams in the Carolinas week in and week out where you have no rivals and where it's freezing outside the majority of your time at school? OK.

Reaction Score
Dan already had the choice between a terrible ACC program and an AAC Uconn.

yeah no reason to leave UCONN for BC. Great recruiting class coming in next season - when Hurley leaves it will be for an mid to upper tier P-5 program. And BC is certainly not that team

Reaction Score
I'd like to think that UConn and Jim Calhoun wiping the floor with BC 20+ times in a row totally deflated any interest they may have had in college hoops.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Honestly, if I'm any of the guys on this list other than Pitino (back to the ACC) and Schmidt (BC alum) I don't think I'd touch this gig.

If I'm BC I'm calling Johh Becker (Vermont), Tommy Amaker (Harvard) and maybe Joe Jones (BU). I'd have Becker and Amaker as my 1 and 1A...

EDIT: Didn't realize Eisely, also a BC alum, was an assistant at Michigan. Not a bad move either for either party...
Probably couldn't have had a better coach to work under as well.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Is the absence of fan support for basketball because of the shadow of the Celtics in such a small city?

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Is the absence of fan support for basketball because of the shadow of the Celtics in such a small city?
In the winter, they're competing with the Celtics, the Bruins, BC hockey and every other local/regional college with a following in bball/hockey. I think it's that and the lack of a sustained elite winner.

Back in the early-mid 90's they had a solid coach in Jim O'Brien and reasonable success. Their BE opponents could easily travel to games. Even then they couldn't sell out 8606-seat Conte (mid 6k to low 7k average).

Reaction Score
Beilein had a system at WVU which worked with lesser players than at Michigan. Then, he started to get some really good recruits at Michigan.

He is a system guy. Is there a young Jay Wright anywhere?
He is an older guy and those guys rarely land top tier jobs. So he is likely looking at a mid-major or lower tier P5 job anyway. And he is a system guy as you say. So at a place where recruiting will be difficult that would be a good fit. Let’s face it, if you are selling BC vs Duke or UNC it will be tough. Though it isn’t like he hasn’t gotten guys into the NBA, that’s for sure. I have no idea if Beilien would be interested or if BC could or would pay what he would want. If I were the BC AD I would at least check.

My young Jay Wright comment was really about finding a young guy who will be successful there. And I have always seen Jay as more of a system guy, too. Which again would likely work well at BC.

Reaction Score
In the winter, they're competing with the Celtics, the Bruins, BC hockey and every other local/regional college with a following in bball/hockey. I think it's that and the lack of a sustained elite winner.

Back in the early-mid 90's they had a solid coach in Jim O'Brien and reasonable success. Their BE opponents could easily travel to games. Even then they couldn't sell out 8606-seat Conte (mid 6k to low 7k average).

It's going on a quarter century since they have had any meaningful success. Conte was another UCONN home site in the Big East days.

Honestly, I'm over the whole BC hatred thing. They are in a great conference and we are not. In the new world of college athletics they will see nothing in the way of national success or recognition in the two main sports. It simply will not happen.

Reaction Score
I'd like to think that UConn and Jim Calhoun wiping the floor with BC 20+ times in a row totally deflated any interest they may have had in college hoops.
That and the aftermath of when BCU finally broke "the streak" in a regular season game. I believe we played them in the final regular season game or maybe a BE tournament game where they were on the bubble for a bid to the dance. Beat us and they were probably in. We clobbered them and they never got selected. Sweet revenge.

Reaction Score
With a NET of 169...a coach going to BC isn't competing with the past.

Christian never finished above .500 in the ACC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think BC can be a moderately successful basketball program, but they need to find a coach with ties to NE or NY/NJ for recruiting. BC lost all local recruiting momentum when the administration did not admit 2 or 3 local kids of one of Jim O'Brien's recruiting classes and they have never recovered. Even Al Skinner, a guy with ties to the Northeast, could not turn local recruiting around and he had to recruit under the radar kids nationally. The hiring of Donahue and Christian were not well thought out for what BC needs to be competitive in basketball.

Reaction Score
BC was never going to be a "player" in the ACC, long term.

They are getting payed some bucks and playing their every couple of years "friendly" with Notre Dame.

It was an ACC mistake going to New York and Massachusetts.

UNC, Duke, and NC State voted "no" to BC first time around...

Boston College and Syracuse were the Big East schools in the ACC's original expansion plans -- along with Miami -- but were voted down in favor of adding the Hurricanes and Hokies. Duke, North Carolina and N.C. State voted against adding Boston College at the time.

But other pro-expansion schools in the ACC kept pushing for another member.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
BC was never going to be a "player" in the ACC, long term.

They are getting payed some bucks and playing their every couple of years "friendly" with Notre Dame.

It was an ACC mistake going to New York and Massachusetts.

UNC, Duke, and NC State voted "no" to BC first time around...

Boston College and Syracuse were the Big East schools in the ACC's original expansion plans -- along with Miami -- but were voted down in favor of adding the Hurricanes and Hokies. Duke, North Carolina and N.C. State voted against adding Boston College at the time.

But other pro-expansion schools in the ACC kept pushing for another member.
BC never belonged in the ACC and never will, they are unquestionably the worst basketball game on every other ACC team's schedule. Their only silver lining is that no fans right now impacts them less than any other team in the country.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom