Jim Calhoun’s ESPY Speech. | The Boneyard

Jim Calhoun’s ESPY Speech.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Awesome. There are so few coaches that came close to accomplishing what Calhoun did, not coming from some famous coaching family, grinding his way up the coaching ladder. toiling away at a low-major for over a decade, and then taking a sleepy program that was an accidental addition to the original Big East all the way to the top of the college basketball world.

Reaction Score
Awesome. There are so few coaches that came close to accomplishing what Calhoun did, not coming from some famous coaching family, grinding his way up the coaching ladder. toiling away at a low-major for over a decade, and then taking a sleepy program that was an accidental addition to the original Big East all the way to the top of the college basketball world.
So few, as in one.

Reaction Score
I say it again. I saw this SOB of a coach at the Colonial Classic fall behind Cliffy and the Huskies early at HCC in the mid 80's. He was a crazy guy on the sidelines and then he made the decision to let them know he wasn't taking the home job he was getting from the stripes. He ripped his sport coat off threw it as far as he could and got T'd up and was in the face of the refs. After that he got every call imaginable to a game and Northeastern came back and handled the Huskies. Wasn't sure who he was or how good he was, certainly not sure if he could be the Huskies coach hen his name came up - or was Mitch Buonogaro a better choice?

Anyway I can't thank Toner and everyone enough for making the absolute greatest hire in the history of any college sport. He gave us the toughest guy, the most loyal guy, the most confident guy on freaking earth. We are so lucky as fans to have had Jim Calhoun don the sidelines for the University of Connecticut we can't even express it in words. The man is a hero to all of us as a coach and a Husky and he showed exactly the man he is last night on that stage yet again. If you weren't shedding tears as he walked up and then spoke I'm not sure you now the impact he made on all of us and all of college basketball. Man we're lucky!

Thanks yet again JC! You are the MAN!

Reaction Score
Wasn't sure who he was or how good he was, certainly not sure if he could be the Huskies coach hen his name came up - or was Mitch Buonogaro a better choice?

I distinctly recall seeing the HC candidates and their photos in the Hartford Courant. Wow, what a ride.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom