Jewell Loyd To Be Named Rookie of the Year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jewell Loyd To Be Named Rookie of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Based on the playoff performances, Stokes is by far the top rookie in the playoffs. Was she a best rookie for the duration of the WNBA season? I think many are judging based on late-season performance and not the entirety of the season.

Reaction Score
I don't agree with Lobo's statement that Stokes was clearly the ROY since Lloyd had a good year and had more pressure to perform immediately since she was not surrounded by as much talent as Stokea. Either Lloyd or Stokes would have been deserving so I think Lobo's statement is a bit disrespectful to Lloyd.
Where does misspelling a player's name rank on your "disrespectful meter"?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
What goes around comes around. Didn't Loyd diss Muffet by her untimely notice of her (unexpected to MM) decision to leave ND for the WNBA? :mad:

So you are saying that because she left ND early that she deserves to be disrespected by a reporter?

It will be interesting to see how many votes each received. I suspect that it will be incredibly close and that a few votes could have swung the balloting in Stokes favor. She had a fine season.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
And that really makes a difference in this conversation, that I am a poor speller? At least I spelled Lobo and Stokes correctly.
nah... but hopefully you'd notice the error and make the simple correction

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
As I said in my original statement, either would have been deserving, IMO, so I don't find it unthinkable that Loyd won the award. If it had been Stokes I would have said "congratulations," which I feel Lobo should have done, not make a statement that Loyd was not deserving, which is what she effectively said.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
nah... but hopefully you'd notice the error and make the simple correction

Correction made in my last comment. But once again, who gives a crap about spelling? I have seen BG's name misspelled many, many times, and I have never corrected anyone just because they cannot spell her name correctly because it is irrelevant to the conversation.

Reaction Score
And that really makes a difference in this conversation, that I am a poor speller? At least I spelled Lobo and Stokes correctly.
Your not a poor speller. Quite the opposite. You spell Jewell's surname the way most good spellers would. What you've done is fail to realize the uniqueness of this particular athlete which is somewhat more egregious than committing "a typo." But you're correct, this is a nit of the lowest order. You've committed no offense beyond stumbling into a discussion about something that is pissing people off and expressing a counter opinion.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Your not a poor speller. Quite the opposite. You spell Jewell's surname the way most good spellers would. What you've done is fail to realize the uniqueness of this particular athlete which is somewhat more egregious than committing "a typo." But you're correct, this is a nit of the lowest order. You've committed no offense beyond stumbling into a discussion about something that is pissing people off and expressing a counter opinion.

I don't think I stumbled in; I think I jumped in with both feet. ;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
As I said in my original statement, either would have been deserving, IMO, so I don't find it unthinkable that Loyd won the award. If it had been Stokes I would have said "congratulations," which I feel Lobo should have done, not make a statement that Loyd was not deserving, which is what she effectively said.
The emotional investment was centered around the use of the word "disrespect" regarding Rebecca's comment. Many of belive there was none intended. That one word devolved into mispelling and of course your original point- "either would have been deserving" was missed as was Rebecca's main point- Stokes was more deserving.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The emotional investment was centered around the use of the word "disrespect" regarding Rebecca's comment. Many of belive there was none intended. That one word devolved into mispelling and of course your original point- "either would have been deserving" was missed as was Rebecca's main point- Stokes was more deserving.

Maybe Lobo could have thrown in an "IMO" instead of saying that all of the other voters were wrong. She certainly didn't imply that Loyd was worthy of the award.

HGN

Reaction Score
Bigger picture.
The 2nd best (agruably 1st) rookie in the best Women's professional basketball league in the world could not stay in the UCONN starting line up last year.
UCONN must have a pretty good WCBB program.
Hmm..........Good point.

Reaction Score
The problem with that is that the top player in the draft goes to a pretty bad team. The number 10 pick goes to a team that is already built for a championship and has the talent surrounding her to take all the pressure off of her.
Let me see; top player goes to bad team which mean less stars to compete against to make the team and also means she will more than likely be one of the stars on the team, therefore should have more of an impact. The #10 player goes to a team built for a championship, with more star power on the team. This makes it more difficult for her to make the team, then once she makes the team, the star power would make it difficult for her to have much impact on the team(having to settle for garbage time minutes because of all that star power an all). But yet she had a great deal of impact and, it could be argued, the team would not have been as successful with out her. I would think that person would be named ROY

Reaction Score
I don't agree with Lobo's statement that Stokes was clearly the ROY since Lloyd had a good year and had more pressure to perform immediately since she was not surrounded by as much talent as Stokes.

The problem with that is that the top player in the draft goes to a pretty bad team. The number 10 pick goes to a team that is already built for a championship and has the talent surrounding her to take all the pressure off of her.

NY finished the 2014 season with a 15-19 record while Seattle finished 12-22. Consider that Seattle played in the much tougher western conference and add in that Seattle tanked their last 3 games while NY won their last 2 and I'd say both teams pretty much sucked in 2014.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
NY finished the 2014 season with a 15-19 record while Seattle finished 12-22. Consider that Seattle played in the much tougher western conference and add in that Seattle tanked their last 3 games while NY won their last 2 and I'd say both teams pretty much sucked in 2014.
One measure of a rookie's impact is the net change in won-loss before and after the rookie arrived. For Kiah Stokes, the Liberty were a net +8. For Jewel Loyd and Seattle Storm, they were a -2. I'm going to guess this is the only ROY with a negative impact on their team. If I have time, I might look it up.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Correction made in my last comment. But once again, who gives a crap about spelling? I have seen BG's name misspelled many, many times, and I have never corrected anyone just because they cannot spell her name correctly because it is irrelevant to the conversation.
You're harping on it instead of just saying thanks... and continuing your debate, makes you appear very defensive about everything instead of just stating your case (with the correct spelling) no need to mention BG just say thanks, my bad and move on. You're not being attacked (at least not by me)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
"more pressure to perform"? when does that get you ROY?...puhleeeez!
Agreed. Kiah had just as much pressure to perform, perhaps more. She was on a team who was expected to make the playoffs, and expected to compete for the WNBA championship. Loyd was playing for a team that was expected to be among the worst in the league and is in desperate need of posts and forwards. When you rely on players named Tokashiki, Clark, Gaitling, and O'hea, and the 3 leading scorers are Langhorne, Bird and Loyd, you aren't going to win many games.

But just like Tulsa's early years, Seattle now needs to rebuild. Langhorne is really good. Loyd will be terrific. Hopefully KML finds her way. But I think Seattle is still several drafts away from being any good. Even if they land Stewie, they would need one more draft IMHO to be in the upper tier of the league (not sure about Monica Wright - she didn't play this year). But they seem guard heavy - Wright, Bird, KML (guard/wing), Loyd, O'hea, and Clark (wing/forward). They really need some elite post players...

Anyhoo... I totally agree with Rebecca and can't see how that's "disrespectful" to Loyd. I mean come on people - these are professional athletes. If this was the NBA and Rebecca made those same comments, would anyone be saying that? Having said that, I think Jewell is terrific and certainly deserving, I just think Kiah is more deserving...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom