Jewell Loyd To Be Named Rookie of the Year | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Jewell Loyd To Be Named Rookie of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
There are others named ROY..How about ROY Rogers, Rob ROY, or Patrick ROY..:rolleyes:
Doesn't USC have a player named ROY?[/QUOTE]

Don't forget Roy Clark, Hee Haw's finest and quite a guitarist.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I would have voted for Kiah, also. I like a big girl who can rebound, block shots and play overall good defense. I am more partial to post players than guards, anyway. My problem was with Lobo's tweet, which, although not intended to be, seemed disrespectful to Loyd in my opinion.

When did Prince come over from Chicago? She had a pretty big impact on the success of the Liberty this season.
Straight up trade of Prince for Pondexter in Feb of this year. I would say that was a pretty even trade and in fact they both scored 15.0 per game this year - though Cappie played more games than Piph

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Im sure Donavan was one of them... and maybe Thibault?

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Pretty much everyone knew Seattle was going to be bad this year, and they were pretty bad. NYC was more up in the air because they had a lot of moving parts, and Prince didn't join till about 1/3 into season.

I would have probably given ROY to Stokes, but I disagree that she is the 3rd best player on the Liberty. Tanisha Wright is a savvy veteran who is the glue a lot of the times for that team--solid in every area, and with playoff experience. Liberty is very unique team in that there are two obvious starts in Charles and Prince, and then a lot of role players who do their part.

Reaction Score
What hurts about Jewel Loyd getting ROY over Kiah Stokes is no matter what Jewel did this season she had NO BEARING on Seattle's season, Kiah was a major cog in the Liberty becoming the best WNBA regular season team! Seattle was last with or without Jewel!
The talking suits of the media voted for Jewel because she was the #1 pick in the draft so she logically (Huh) had to be the ROY! How could she be the #1 pick and NOT be the ROY made no sense to them!
Kiah was 2nd for 3 awards, ROY, 6th player to Allie Quigey and Defensive player of the year to Brittany Griner, doesn't that she was good enough to place that high in Defensive and 6th player that she had a bigger impact on the WNBA than Jewel? The people voting her 2nd for those awards didn't think that qualified her for ROY?

Reaction Score
I don't agree with Lobo's statement that Stokes was clearly the ROY since Lloyd had a good year and had more pressure to perform immediately since she was not surrounded by as much talent as Stokea. Either Lloyd or Stokes would have been deserving so I think Lobo's statement is a bit disrespectful to Lloyd.
Lobo is paid to offer her analysis and opinion as honestly as she can. To do otherwise would be dishonest. To say she was "disrespectful" because she thought someone else should have received the ROY award is not only silly, it smacks of something that is pervading our culture and that is concern over being PC and not hurting anyone's feelings. Honest people can disagree. As someone said, "it is a thin slice of ham that doesn't have two sides".!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Lobo's statement is refreshing. Too much of women's BB "journalism" is strewn with banal superlatives. Lobo is a commentator, and she commented. Llyod's season was too rocky to justify the award.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Loyd beat out Stokes for the Rookie of the Year by a 21-16 vote with Achonwa appearing on two ballots. Chicago’s Allie Quigley topped Stokes in the Sixth Woman vote by 24-11. Phoenix’s Brittney Griner was a landslide winner for Defensive Player of the Year with 33 votes with Stokes getting two votes.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
As for Jewell's vale to her (last place) team, I am reminded of the contract negotiations many years ago between Pirates' slugger Ralph Kiner and GM Branch Rickey. Kiner had just had a sensational year, bashing dozens of home runs, so he felt entitled to a healthy raise.

Rickey asked Ralph where the Bucs had finished. Last place.

By Rickey's logic (and no free agency back then), the Pirates could have finished last without Kiner, thus his value was inconsequential.

No raise for Kiner.:(

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
IMO Stokes absolutely deserved ROY, but either way how classy is she for this.....

Kiah Stokes ‏@kstokes41
I appreciate the support after the ROY announcement, but you cant take anything away from Jewell. She had a great season and worked for it!

Now THAT is refreshing. Classy move and makes me a bigger fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom