Jewell Loyd To Be Named Rookie of the Year | The Boneyard

Jewell Loyd To Be Named Rookie of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Jewell Loyd to be named WNBA Rookie of the Year

The WNBA is expected to announce Jewell Loyd as its 2015 Rookie of the Year presented by Samsung. Official word should be released Thursday afternoon.

The Rookie of the Year receives a trophy and $5,000 check.

Loyd, a 5-foot-10 guard, had a peculiar start to her professional career. The No. 1 overall draft pick was an early-entry due to an age exemption but eight games into the season Loyd requested she not start because she wasn’t ready for the role.

The former Notre Dame star ended her rookie season well, averaging 13.6 points and 2.6 assists in her final five games. Overall, Loyd led all WNBA rookies in scoring (10.7 points per game) and was fourth among the newcomers in rebounding (3.5).

[LINK]

Rebecca Lobo ‏@RebeccaLobo

Jewell had a nice year. But Stokes was, without question, the ROY. Voters need to look at more than PPG.

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I don't agree with Lobo's statement that Stokes was clearly the ROY since Lloyd had a good year and had more pressure to perform immediately since she was not surrounded by as much talent as Stokea. Either Lloyd or Stokes would have been deserving so I think Lobo's statement is a bit disrespectful to Lloyd.

HuskyPup

Dislikes Notur-Daim
Reaction Score
Just wrong
Totally agree, other than points , what else could the voters use to justify Lloyd winning? Whoever voted obviously did not consider all aspects of the game....I agree with Rebecca. I would like to hear from a Lloyd voter to intelligently explain their choice.
Kiah is one the reasons NY has had such an impressive season. I challenge anyone to dispute that. Kiah, you're the Boneyard's ROY. Now go out and win a WNBA championship!

HuskyPup

Dislikes Notur-Daim
Reaction Score
"
I don't agree with Lobo's statement that Stokes was clearly the ROY since Lloyd had a good year and had more pressure to perform immediately since she was not surrounded by as much talent as Stokea. Either Lloyd or Stokes would have been deserving so I think Lobo's statement is a bit disrespectful to Lloyd.

"more pressure to perform"? when does that get you ROY?.............puhleeeez!

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
How has Lloyd changed the landscape of her team this year? She hasn't really. There is no doubt that Kiah has. Expectations and pressure are something she chose going a year early. Let's not pretend like Lloyd if she went the year she was suppose to go (next year) would've been picked number 1. She wouldn't have. She could've stayed in college played another year for a really good Notre Dame WCBB team and had arguabley just as much pressure there and then went to the WNBA as probably a #2 with slightly less pressure in the WNBA. She CHOSE the former. I don't think it was disrepectful at all. She didn't say she had a bad year, just that someone else was more of an impact for their team... more than just points anyway.

Reaction Score

Disrespectful to Lloyd.... when has a rookie finish 2nd in Defensive player of the year, 2nd in 6th man of the year and this against all WNBA players and not win ROY awards.... Explain who is is being disrespected?

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
The Storm have best odds tonight in the lottery while the Liberty players are getting ready to try to clinch a spot in the WNBA finals. MVP and the 6th woman of the year are both sitting home watching. I am guessing they would all like to being the position Kiah is in. Only thing that bothers me is the 5K. Maybe it is worth a go fund me for her.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I don't agree with Lobo's statement. Either Lloyd or Stokes would have been deserving so I think Lobo's statement is a bit disrespectful to Lloyd.

What goes around comes around. Didn't Loyd diss Muffet by her untimely notice of her (unexpected to MM) decision to leave ND for the WNBA? :mad:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I disagree. Rebecca is being complementary not disrespectful of Loyd. She is challenging the voters to look beyond PPG-a good thing IMO. Carolyn Peck, who I almost universally disagree with, said the same thing last night during the WNBA broadcast. IMO also a missed opportunity by WNBA, since Kiah's team is still playing and might win WNBA championship. It is not like the league couldn't use the publicity of "ROY" leading her team into a Championship.

Reaction Score
Nothing scientific here, it is after all The Boneyard. That said I read 15 posts, 14 comments reflect that Kiah Stokes should get the award. What is or should be the criteria for the award? I doubt there is a requirement that a candidate had to be on a really good team with all stars. I sure don't think how well (or not) the player responded to external "pressure" is a criteria. The simple question is how well did the candidates play the game. Clearly Stokes contributed more to the success of her team than Loyd did for her team. As far as Lobo making the statement you should remember that she was very much in Jewell's corner most of the year for national player of the year last year over Stewart so She is not disrespecting Loyd at all, she is in fact respecting the performance on the court of Stokes.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Bigger picture.
The 2nd best (agruably 1st) rookie in the best Women's professional basketball league in the world could not stay in the UCONN starting line up last year.
UCONN must have a pretty good WCBB program.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Fingers crossed that this is another "Dewey Wins" situation.
I doubt it. Fightin Choke pointed out that all the awards COY, MVP etc that were going to players on teams still in the playoffs were handed out as part of 1st round playoff games. Liberty has already survived 1st round. If Kiah was going to get the ROY award it would have been presented same time Lamebeer got COY.

HGN

Reaction Score
ETT, we have a slight difference of opinion on this one. I don't think Lobo's statement was disrespectful at all. Lobo gave Loyd credit for having a fine Rookie season , she merely stated that she thought Stokes had a better OVERALL season. One in which contributed greatly to the success of her team being in the Playoffs. If you look only at points Loyd is the ROY. If you look at points , rebounds , defense , minutes , and play that contributed to Wins , maybe the ROY is someone else. And maybe that someone else is Kiah Stokes.

Reaction Score
They should wait until the WNBA play-off is over then decide who is the winner...

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Reminds me of 2004 when Amanda Beard won POY over DT. Coach G helped Amanda pad her stats. Meanwhile DT helped UConn win #3 in a row NC.
Alana Beard... suprised Kib didn't correct you while he liked it!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
They should wait until the WNBA play-off is over then decide who is the winner...

The problem with that is that the top player in the draft goes to a pretty bad team. The number 10 pick goes to a team that is already built for a championship and has the talent surrounding her to take all the pressure off of her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom