Jessie Govan Commits to Georgetown | The Boneyard

Jessie Govan Commits to Georgetown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
@EvanDaniels: Jessie Govan just committed to Georgetown, per AAU coach Dana Dingle.

Reaction Score
I think big men must think that the Georgetown offensive system will put more emphasis on their game than UCONN's. I think we must be viewed as a more guard oriented offensive system because we do very well when it comes to recruiting highly sought after guards. My personal opinion is that this is a false perception not a reality. We appear to have a system that favors guards since we just have significantly more talented guards than big men. If we had a highly skilled big man we would get him the ball, like we did with drummond. Not worried though. I think Facey and Brimah can change that perception before they leave.

Reaction Score
Ouch! New York kid! Sometimes grabbing these New York bigs is difficult. Obekpa? Govan?

UConn grabbed Andrew Bynum, I know that, but a lot of the big man talent has been under the radar.

When you think of the bigs UConn has grabbed on the recruiting trail, such as Jake Voskuhl, Emeka Okafor, Andrew Bynum, Hasheem Thabeet, and Andre Drummond, they've all been really athletically talented, and they've made really good money in the NBA too. Including Voskuhl. Heck, Hilton Armstrong and Josh Boone were also first round picks.

I expect Amidah Brimah to be the next top UConn big, but they certainly need another guy this year.

Our experience with Obepka and Govan doesn't leave me feeling rosy about our chances with Cheick Diallo.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Georgetown now has 6 big man recruits for '14 and '15. 5 of them are top 100 talents, I'm guessing at least 2 look elsewhere for playing time.

Reaction Score
Georgetown now has 6 big man recruits for '14 and '15. 5 of them are top 100 talents, I'm guessing at least 2 look elsewhere for playing time.

Georgetown just had 3 kids leave (Bolden, Domingo, Ayegba), so I have to wonder how Thompson can keep cycling through recruits with so many transfers. Sounds like the kind of thing that got UConn into trouble.

Reaction Score
In Calhoun times, after Cliff, Travis, Jake, Mek, CV, Hilty, Josh, Tab, Bynum, etc, how can there be a neg spin on UConn big program ? ?? ???

Reaction Score
In Calhoun times, after Cliff, Travis, Jake, Mek, CV, Hilty, Josh, Tab, Bynum, etc, how can there be a neg spin on UConn big program ? ?? ???

Calhoun isn't the coach, Bynum never even played here, and if you are going to go into past history with bigmen UConn doesn't stack up with Georgetown.

Reaction Score
They can continue to recruit big men and UConn will recruit guards and swingmen and win championships. I think everyone would agree those positions are more important in college basketball.

Reaction Score
Calhoun isn't the coach, Bynum never even played here, and if you are going to go into past history with bigmen UConn doesn't stack up with Georgetown.

In past history with big men, almost no one stacks up with Georgetown. That doesn't change the fact that they generally don't win that much anymore.

Reaction Score
In past history with big men, almost no one stacks up with Georgetown. That doesn't change the fact that they generally don't win that much anymore.

Wasn't arguing the 2nd point you made, hell, in the other Govan post I even mentioned that I gotta tip my hat to JT3 for his recruiting when his teams for the most part aren't winning anything.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't be surprised if Govan committed early to beat out that transfer from USF for a roster spot.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't be surprised if Govan committed early to beat out that transfer from USF for a roster spot.

No, Egbunu is still going to commit to Georgetown. There are no 7 footers on that roster. And really, you need as much depth as possible in today's N(B)CAA.

;)

Reaction Score
UConn winning the National Championship has really not done anything for our recruiting of 2015 elite basketball players. Why is this happening??? This is really terrible news to loose out on Govan. Two negative things against us--We are in a terrible conference and Ollie's possible interest in going to the NBA. Nobody really knows about CR, so we really are suck in the AAC for a while. Our basketball program should be on the rise with more top notch recruits wanting to come to UConn. Ollie needs to make a statement SOON that he is committed to growing the UConn basketball program. With Ollie's recent success as a head coach, you would think that elite recruits would want to come here. No recruit wants to wonder every year if Ollie will stay or jump ship to the NBA. They want stability. That's what made Jim Calhoun such a GREAT coach. He was dedicated to the university. We need to have an elite 2015 recruit(s) commit ASAP in order to calm down all these question marks.

Reaction Score

Only thing I can think of is that other teams say we don't feature our big men as offensive weapons. Emeka is really the only one who we posted up and featured as an interior presence. No kids remember Cliffy, Travis, Jake, Josh, and Hilton were 6-12ppg guys who were primarily garbage guys, CV was a combo forward who posted at times, and Bynum never came here. Thabeet improved by leaps and bounds but using him as an example of a UConn big is probably not very impressive to a prospective recruit. Drummond would be a selling point but he's different than 99% of the big men who are recruited.

Also, while we have put a bunch of bigs in the NBA, none of them but Drummond have really made much of a mark of late. CV and Emeka kind of faded from their perch, Hilton and Josh have been in and out of the league, Thabeet is a massive bust, and Travis and Jake were career backups.

Reaction Score
boog204 said:
Only thing I can think of is that other teams say we don't feature our big men as offensive weapons. Emeka is really the only one who we posted up and featured as an interior presence. No kids remember Cliffy, Travis, Jake, Josh, and Hilton were 6-12ppg guys who were primarily garbage guys, CV was a combo forward who posted at times, and Bynum never came here. Thabeet improved by leaps and bounds but using him as an example of a UConn big is probably not very impressive to a prospective recruit. Drummond would be a selling point but he's different than 99% of the big men who are recruited. Also, while we have put a bunch of bigs in the NBA, none of them but Drummond have really made much of a mark of late. CV and Emeka kind of faded from their perch, Hilton and Josh have been in and out of the league, Thabeet is a massive bust, and Travis and Jake were career backups.

I'll put on the hat of UConn recruiting coordinator and spin that the other way. Other than Drummond and CV, none of those guys were projected as being close to NBA players coming out of high school. Thabeet is a bust relative to draft position, but not at all a bust relative to what he was coming out of high school. Or what he was a freshman, when he was totally uncoordinated and fell down all the time. The fact that UConn took that player and developed him into a Final Four centerpiece and a No. 2 pick says more about UConn than what Thabeet did after being drafted. (Of course, that was a previous coaching staff anyway, so the point is a bit moot).

Brimah's development may be key looking forward. If he develops more skill, he could be a guy UConn can point to as a success story - in nobody's top 100 and yet a dominant college player/ NBA prospect.

caw

Reaction Score
Only thing I can think of is that other teams say we don't feature our big men as offensive weapons. Emeka is really the only one who we posted up and featured as an interior presence. No kids remember Cliffy, Travis, Jake, Josh, and Hilton were 6-12ppg guys who were primarily garbage guys, CV was a combo forward who posted at times, and Bynum never came here. Thabeet improved by leaps and bounds but using him as an example of a UConn big is probably not very impressive to a prospective recruit. Drummond would be a selling point but he's different than 99% of the big men who are recruited.

Also, while we have put a bunch of bigs in the NBA, none of them but Drummond have really made much of a mark of late. CV and Emeka kind of faded from their perch, Hilton and Josh have been in and out of the league, Thabeet is a massive bust, and Travis and Jake were career backups.

I'd say Adrien also posted up and was featured a bit. He probably would have been featured more if that team wasn't balanced. He was undersized but has played a few years in the NBA as well.

Reaction Score
I'd say Adrien also posted up and was featured a bit. He probably would have been featured more if that team wasn't balanced. He was undersized but has played a few years in the NBA as well.

Oriakhi posted up, but couldn't seem to do anything with the ball. Maybe they hold Oriakhi against UConn as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom