OT: - Jermaine Samuels is weird | The Boneyard

OT: Jermaine Samuels is weird

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I'm not quite sure I've ever seen a rebounding fool in the package of a wing player like Villanova's Samuels. I began following NBA & College Basketball around 1980, and I cannot recall a wing-type player like Samuels with his rebounding ability. He gets everything, and he does it with power and explosive leaping ability. Another solid piece for Nova.

Reaction Score
I'm not quite sure I've ever seen a rebounding fool in the package of a wing player like Villanova's Samuels. I began following NBA & College Basketball around 1980, and I cannot recall a wing-type player like Samuels with his rebounding ability. He gets everything, and he does it with power and explosive leaping ability. Another solid piece for Nova.

Am I missing something here? He's not very good.

Reaction Score

I really don't understand the point of your post. A 6'6" small forward that averages 4.5 rebounds is not all that out of the ordinary. We have a 6'2" guard that is averaging 6 rebounds per game and led the team in rebounds last year. To me, that is more noteworthy.

Reaction Score
I’m not impressed one bit. Looks lost out there to be honest. He’s a big body and athletic, just not a great basketball player.

Reaction Score
629D7EC5-0FBF-427E-8006-F7AC8F2ED887.png

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I really don't understand the point of your post. A 6'6" small forward that averages 4.5 rebounds is not all that out of the ordinary. We have a 6'2" guard that is averaging 6 rebounds per game and led the team in rebounds last year. To me, that is more noteworthy.
Couple of things:
- Samuels averages 17 minutes a game
- He went for 16 boards last week I believe
- He is a powerful rebounder and has a great deal of range.
- Former UConn recruit. Did not see much of him as a freshman
- He was impressive this afternoon against Marquette. Watching his play led me to consider the benefits of having a wing player, who is good/great rebounder. An athletic, rebounding wing who could take advantage of spacing for put-backs and assist bigs with defensive rebounding.

https://www.philly.com/college-spor...-lasalle-temple-shizz-alston-lorenzo-edwards-

Reaction Score
Samuels dominated against Temple when I saw him at the Finn. Solid basketball player with room to grow. He’s a better SF than any of our guys at the moment. Better built and more skill. Sid has the potential to be far better but haven’t seen much from him yet.

Give the the kid some damn credit. He’s a nice player for Nova. Wish he was a Husky!

Reaction Score
We had a couple of good ones in the time just before you started following the sport.
Tony Hanson was a very good rebounder maybe not your typical wing type and Earl Wilson. They played together for a couple of years. Wilson was also very good too. His stats declined a litlle when Hanson joined the team but still averaged a higher career rpg.

Reaction Score
We had a couple of good ones in the time just before you started following the sport.
Tony Hanson was a very good rebounder maybe not your typical wing type and Earl Wilson. They played together for a couple of years. Wilson was also very good too. His stats declined a litlle when Hanson joined the team but still averaged a higher career rpg.

Good call on Earl was very underrated Idaho, nice undersized 3/4 wing guy.

Reaction Score
Samuels dominated against Temple when I saw him at the Finn. Solid basketball player with room to grow. He’s a better SF than any of our guys at the moment. Better built and more skill. Sid has the potential to be far better but haven’t seen much from him yet.

Give the the kid some damn credit. He’s a nice player for Nova. Wish he was a Husky!

We can only hope Sid is as good as he is now as a sophomore. He can guard people, he can rebound and understands the game enough to have improved. Sid has a long way to go in all areas.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
No Mike
No Mike McKay? And was Corny Thompson a 3 or 4? My hs coach spoke well of those two.

Reaction Score
No Mike

No Mike McKay? And was Corny Thompson a 3 or 4? My hs coach spoke well of those two.

Corny 4 for sure and a great one, McKay a 3 and a real good one. If they had our guards their senior year they would’ve been really good.

Reaction Score
No Mike

Corny 4 for sure and a great one, McKay a 3 and a real good one.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Couple of things:
- Samuels averages 17 minutes a game
- He went for 16 boards last week I believe

He's not very good. Your analysis is weird.

He is so unremarkable as a rebounder.

Reaction Score
In his last ten games he had one game with 16 rebounds, one with 6, and three with 5, one with 4 and two each with 3 and 2. That hardly qualifies him as a dominant rebounder but he is averaging 5.1 per game in 22 minutes per game the last ten games.

I saw the game where he had 16 and the announcers were marveling about how this guy who was almost halfway through his sophomore year may have finally seen the light after a very disappointing freshman year and poor start to this year.

Reaction Score
No Mike

As a a rebounder Wilson had twice the average of McKay. McKay a higher . scorer and a good player. I think McKay was a little leaner. Just thinking of good rebounding 3s we've had. Hanson his senior year avg over 10rpg.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
He's not very good. Your analysis is weird.

He is so unremarkable as a rebounder.
Not an analysis necessarily, rather a response as to the significance of the post. It includes my observations, which I suspect does include some form of analysis of basketball ability. Should I have also included rebounding rate? My point? He looks like he will develop into a good player and in my estimation, has a high ceiling, given his athletic ability, length, quickness to the ball and shooting touch. Outside of UConn, I try to catch the games of our former recruits to see how they are getting along.

Last edited:

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
In his last ten games he had one game with 16 rebounds, one with 6, and three with 5, one with 4 and two each with 3 and 2. That hardly qualifies him as a dominant rebounder but he is averaging 5.1 per game in 22 minutes per game the last ten games.

I saw the game where he had 16 and the announcers were marveling about how this guy who was almost halfway through his sophomore year may have finally seen the light after a very disappointing freshman year and poor start to this year.

You omitted the fact that he was injured for a portion of his freshman year. He could not practice. No surprise that it took his freshman year to figure things out.

Reaction Score
You omitted the fact that he was injured for a portion of his freshman year. He could not practice. No surprise that it took his freshman year to figure things out.

When you called him a "rebounding fool", and said you "can't recall a wing-type player with his rebounding ability", that seemed like hyperbole so I gave you his last ten games' stats as a sophomore. Other than the one game with 16 rebounds his stats are not out of the ordinary.

However, if he's a typical recent Villanova player he'll get better each year and that's the type player I'm hoping Hurley focuses on. To me, we'd have been way better off going after Wahab or someone like him rather than chasing a guy like Cockburn who supposedly features himself as a one and one. Same with Precious. Build a team of three and four year guys with maybe an occasional Caron Butler that stays two years.

We are not likely to be the destination for enough true ones and dones like Duke and Kentucky and if that's the case, getting one here and there just doesn't allow us to build a lasting championship caliber team loaded with players in all four classes developing and growing each year. That, at least to me, seems our only path to lasting greatness. Tennessee has no top 100 recruits and look how well they've developed. That's my mantra and I'm sticking to it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom