Jeff Jacobs with a bucket of cold water | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs with a bucket of cold water

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
There's talk about XL center, and the Hartford Business Journal story about expanding the Rent. Jacobs points out that this is still only talk, which is... irksome, but also not incorrect.

Saying that the XL Center will need to be replaced in some form is like saying we're all going to die one day. Statements like that drive me a little crazy, just as one attributed to UConn athletic director Warde Manual in a recent Hartford Business Journal story did.

Manuel, according to the story, wants to add another 10,000 seats to Rentschler Field in the next 10 years to generate additional revenue. It had some UConn fans telling me this is indicative of Big Ten interest in UConn. In the next paragraph, however, the story added Manuel said such an expansion would have to be driven by ticket demand. Pffft. Air out of the balloon. Nothing new.

So this is not some big front-burner push?

"No," Manuel told me.

Plan? Demand? File it under "wish." Much football improvement and many fannies are still needed. The school announced its average attendance of 34,676 in 2013, while the CRDA showed that 22,024 fans went through the turnstiles. By the way, our sources say there have been zero discussions with the Big Ten to this point.
Well, duh.

UConn in the Diaco era does need to demonstrate it can get back to filling the Rent against AAC teams like it did against NBE teams during the Edsall era. So... we can (and probably will, in this thread) criticize Jacobs' curmudgeonly attitude, but we should also buybuybuy and recruit the bandwagon. We can't afford to have those turnstile numbers. If you have tickets, at least go into the stadium for a a quarter or a half. Hopefully Diaco and the team give the fans something to stick around for.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
At least the push to the Big Ten is getting more publicity.

Reaction Score
In this instance, let's hope Jeff Jacobs DOESN'T have sources.

Reaction Score
In this instance, let's hope Jeff Jacobs DOESN'T have sources.
If sources had UConn talking to B1G, it would be a mere formality for UConn to be in the B1G. I would expect discussions to be rare and fleeting. UConn's invite to the B1G must bubble up from within the B1G. Does JJ have sources denying no talk among Delaney, presidents and AD's concerning adding UConn? That would be more telling. I am sure there are presidents/AD's warm to the idea and another group cold. There must be others that are on the fence. Perhaps they are cold because of timing and other non-UConn related issues (partnering, scheduling, etc.) What is happening internally within the B1G is the question. Those are the sources he needs to contact.

Reaction Score
If sources had UConn talking to B1G, it would be a mere formality for UConn to be in the B1G. I would expect discussions to be rare and fleeting. UConn's invite to the B1G must bubble up from within the B1G. Does JJ have sources denying no talk among Delaney, presidents and AD's concerning adding UConn? That would be more telling. I am sure there are presidents/AD's warm to the idea and another group cold. There must be others that are on the fence. Perhaps they are cold because of timing and other non-UConn related issues (partnering, scheduling, etc.) What is happening internally within the B1G is the question. Those are the sources he needs to contact.

When Teddy Greenstein reports that there are talks of us joining the B1G I will start to believe it. He has demonstrated to be the only credible reporter with sources in the B1G when it comes to expansion

Reaction Score
I think Jacobs brings up some really good points in his column. The best points are that UCONN isn't happy with the XL Center, and there may be trouble brewing down the road since they seem to be under the assumption that the hockey team will be getting their own locker room. Don't be surprised if feet get dragged regarding the XL Center's fate that UCONN doesn't abandon that place all together for hockey after the new barn/facility is built on campus. I can see WM choosing to play games that are off campus in Bridgeport instead. It seems like the pipe dream of a NHL franchise is clouding the minds of people and they are forgetting about UCONN.

Reaction Score
I think Jacobs brings up some really good points in his column. The best points are that UCONN isn't happy with the XL Center, and there may be trouble brewing down the road since they seem to be under the assumption that the hockey team will be getting their own locker room. Don't be surprised if feet get dragged regarding the XL Center's fate that UCONN doesn't abandon that place all together for hockey after the new barn/facility is built on campus. I can see WM choosing to play games that are off campus in Bridgeport instead. It seems like the pipe dream of a NHL franchise is clouding the minds of people and they are forgetting about UCONN.

Does the talk of these possible renovations have any impact on Uconn's plans to build a hockey facility on campus? Gotta believe the Uconn admins made it clear that any renovations have to take into account that Uconn hockey will be moving out in a few years. Doesn't make reference to such a move in the article, though.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Does the talk of these possible renovations have any impact on Uconn's plans to build a hockey facility on campus? Gotta believe the Uconn admins made it clear that any renovations have to take into account that Uconn hockey will be moving out in a few years. Doesn't make reference to such a move in the article, though.

I think this article is written under a "lipstick on a pig" assumption. This $35M renovation is just to hold the fort while our state tries to figure out what to do: go for an all out renovation like MSG or build new. In typical CT fashion, they are still in "we need to start to begin to think about thinking about this" phase and an actual decision might not get made for 5-10 years.

In any event, I think it's clear that UCONN wants to build an on-campus hockey facility. I think the compromise that will ultimately be made will be something similar to basketball scheduling where UCONN will play a few games at the XL to drive local economy.

Reaction Score
UCONN was required to build an on-campus barn/facility with a minimum capacity of 5000 as terms of their acceptance into HE. They are only playing all their home games at the XL Center temporarily until that facility is built (it must be up and running by 2016 or 2017 at the latest...Cavanaugh has been quoted that they will be in a new on-campus home for 2016 season). It was implied that they would play a few big games oat the XL Center each year...but WM and Herbst have made it clear they drive the bus now in dictating terms to the XL Center...not the other way around (that was how it used to be). WM has been quoted that he likes both the facility, cost per event, and management in place at Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't sweat what Jacobs' says about the Big 10 (or any P5 conference) as there will no information (if it happens) until the day or a few days before a conference invite is extended and accepted. Anybody who doesn't think that there have been hints/discussions/hypotheticals/... with the ACC/Big 10/Big 12 schools/officials/contacts is foolish. Have there been formal discussions? No, because I don't think any of the P5 is interested in expanding at this moment and any formal discussions would have to be disclosed in a FOI request. Thus, there are informal discussions with various parties at athletic events, at academic meetings, with friends in high places....

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Jacobs and the horde will be the last to know of any pending invite. Unless they read it here

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, it seems that he's right.

There is nothing happening now in terms of UConn and the Big Ten.

Reaction Score

I generally trust your information is coming from some pretty solid sources, so I'm just wondering if that's the case here.

I'm far from a believer in the UConn to B1G thing, but I also don't think it's that far-fetched. Just curious as to why you feel it is.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

That's just what an insider who didn't want the truth to leak would say.

Reaction Score
That's just what an insider who didn't want the truth to leak would say.
I think that we are all so desperate for UConn to get out of this conference that we are truly in denial about all of this. I think Fishy and Jacobs probably know a lot more than most here and we need to understand that the B1G is a dream that may not ever come true. Unfortunately, UConn, unlike Rutgers, didn't think B1G a decade ago when it probably would have made a difference. It is likely too late now. There are no expansion plans for the next 5 years or more according to Mr. Delany in a USA today interview.

Reaction Score

Not to doubt your sources, but hasn't it been the case that when there are talks confidentiality agreements are signed and adhered to?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
UConn to any conference is not far-fetched in the sense that we're a major conference school arbitrarily relegated to a lesser conference. On the field - we'll put more checks on the win side of the ledger than nearly everything currently claiming to be a P5 school.

However, there's nothing on the burners in terms of our moving to another conference. It is a near certainty that we will be in the AAC over the next 5-7 years.

Reaction Score
UConn to any conference is not far-fetched in the sense that we're a major conference school arbitrarily relegated to a lesser conference. On the field - we'll put more checks on the win side of the ledger than nearly everything currently claiming to be a P5 school.

However, there's nothing on the burners in terms of our moving to another conference. It is a near certainty that we will be in the AAC over the next 5-7 years.

We are not even sure there will be the ncaa as we know it in the next 5-7 years, I don't know how you can be so sure of this.

Reaction Score

5-7 years? Shoot me now. 2017, that is the most I can take.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If UCONN is still in the AAC in 5-7 years, then out come the lawsuits. It's not the preferred approach obviously. But if a school like UCONN wants in the P5 model and has demonstrated already that it can operate very successful athletic programs at the highest level of competition, I want somebody to rule on this that doesn't belong to the good ol' boys network (or some major sports network).

Reaction Score
The way JJ has attacked UConn over the years, I believe HFD has better contacts at UConn than he does.

As for who knows anything? I know it to be true that the athletic department was ready to pop the champagne before UL stole our spot. This time a round I'll bet, if there is any conversation about CR going on at UConn, the only ones who know about it are SH a BoT member and maybe Chief. :D

Reaction Score
I think that we are all so desperate for UConn to get out of this conference that we are truly in denial about all of this. I think Fishy and Jacobs probably know a lot more than most here and we need to understand that the B1G is a dream that may not ever come true. Unfortunately, UConn, unlike Rutgers, didn't think B1G a decade ago when it probably would have made a difference. It is likely too late now. There are no expansion plans for the next 5 years or more according to Mr. Delany in a USA today interview.
He said something similar after they added Nebraska, and then Maryland and Rutgers were announced out of the blue less than 2 years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom