Jeff Jacobs with a bucket of cold water | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs with a bucket of cold water

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn to any conference is not far-fetched in the sense that we're a major conference school arbitrarily relegated to a lesser conference. On the field - we'll put more checks on the win side of the ledger than nearly everything currently claiming to be a P5 school.

However, there's nothing on the burners in terms of our moving to another conference. It is a near certainty that we will be in the AAC over the next 5-7 years.
Well you convinced me to sell my season tickets...and to move out of CT...Glad I won't be the one left holding the check/bill! Game Over, or as they say in Tennis, Game - Set - Match!!!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
So your continued support of UConn sports is somehow predicated on our gaining a better conference? Perhaps you should give up the season tickets.

You're wasting bandwidth, chucklehead.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
The way JJ has attacked UConn over the years, I believe HFD has better contacts at UConn than he does.

As for who knows anything? I know it to be true that the athletic department was ready to pop the champagne before UL stole our spot. This time a round I'll bet, if there is any conversation about CR going on at UConn, the only ones who know about it are SH a BoT member and maybe Chief. :D

"if there is any conversation about CR going on at UConn, the only ones who know about it are SH a BoT member"...

This.

Unless Fishy's source is named Susie or Larry, his source has as much credibility relating to a B1G invite as do the voices in his old friend HFD's head...

Reaction Score
UConn to any conference is not far-fetched in the sense that we're a major conference school arbitrarily relegated to a lesser conference. On the field - we'll put more checks on the win side of the ledger than nearly everything currently claiming to be a P5 school.

However, there's nothing on the burners in terms of our moving to another conference. It is a near certainty that we will be in the AAC over the next 5-7 years.
I certainly hope your wrong 5-7 years is forever for me.
Not only will I go to my grave with us in this God forsaken conference,but that's at least five more years of reading the endless speculation on this board. On the bright side.
If purgation is necessary for salvation I'm home free.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, it seems that he's right.

There is nothing happening now in terms of UConn and the Big Ten.

Ok then back to you ACC. One of those two conferences is eventually gonna want to lock up New York and Southern New England.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I certainly hope your wrong 5-7 years is forever for me.
Not only will I go to my grave with us in this God forsaken conference,but that's at least five more years of reading the endless speculation on this board. On the bright side.
If purgation is necessary for salvation I'm home free.
It's probably a good idea for the average fan to mentally prepare for a long wait. We had the dual championships to boost the fanbase's mental health. But there is no guarantee of anything. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Reaction Score
I am just glad Warde is thinking like this.

Phase 0 was fire PGDL, Phase II began when Diaco was hired. Phase III begins when the team is playing well again and the house is getting full.

Honestly, I bet when they are behind closed doors they talk more about selling tickets than winning games.

Reaction Score
h

Phase 0 was fire PGDL, Phase II began when Diaco was hired. Phase III begins when the team is playing well again and the house is getting full.

Honestly, I bet when they are behind closed doors they talk more about selling tickets than winning games.
That is like stating, that we don't want to talk about a quarter nor do we really care about tails, we'll talk heads!!! Well, to talk about a coin you'll need both sides. If you want NYC to be our second home...THEN WIN BABY WIN!!! Oh and this was stated by WM.

I am not a betting man, but this is pretty simple, Win games and the CT/NY Fan will come. We don't like that because we view it as fair weather. Well is NYC anything but??? I mean really, if the Yankees are out of making the playoffs by August, I promise you that getting a ticket to a home game in September just got wicked easy - and sure if BC is going for a pennant some fans will go in the hopes of the Yankees getting them out of the play-offs.

Selling out stadiums is no guarantee of winning football games but not winning games in the NY metro area - is a guarantee of not selling out your stadium. This coach will be given a pass for the first few games. But if the average fan sees no improvement they will be wanting him gone. This area has fans that have no patience. I remember in the 90's when people wanted/demanded that Coach Calhoun be Fired!!! SO trust me - "WINNING isn't everything it is the only thing" - VL

Reaction Score

This is nonsense

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
That it's a near certainty UConn will be in the AAC in 5-7 years.
It's unknown. But it's fair to say we don't have any information at this time to say UConn will be in a p5 conference in year 20__ with any certainty. We can say UConn rightly deserves to be in a p5 conference, but that isn't the same thing.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That it's a near certainty UConn will be in the AAC in 5-7 years.

Where are we going?

"Somewhere".

Last edited:
Reaction Score
First of all we can't say say with certainty the AAC will be here in 5-7 years.
Even if it exists will UConn athletics as we no it exist?
There is no way we support an FSB type football program as an outsider.
The future of FSB football outside of the chosen will be bleak.
We will either drop football or participate with very limited goals
Basketball will be a competitive A10 type team with a stepping stone type coach.
The real reason UConn fans can't come to grips with an AAC life sentence is it's actually a death sentence. At some level we all pretty much understand this.
The odds on us getting into a P5 conference are about the same as the 2013-14 team winning the BB championship with those peewee guards and skinny frontcourt.
That could never happen its impossible.

Reaction Score
It's the chicken and the egg. Being in the Big 10 would certainly create much more demand as we saw playing Michigan. It will be tough to sustain the demand based on the hope of getting the Big 10 invite.

Reaction Score
There's talk about XL center, and the Hartford Business Journal story about expanding the Rent. Jacobs points out that this is still only talk, which is... irksome, but also not incorrect.

Well, duh.

UConn in the Diaco era does need to demonstrate it can get back to filling the Rent against AAC teams like it did against NBE teams during the Edsall era. So... we can (and probably will, in this thread) criticize Jacobs' curmudgeonly attitude, but we should also buybuybuy and recruit the bandwagon. We can't afford to have those turnstile numbers. If you have tickets, at least go into the stadium for a a quarter or a half. Hopefully Diaco and the team give the fans something to stick around for.
Didn't Jacobs and Calhoun have some kind of run in a few years back?

Reaction Score

If you're talking about selling tickets and you're not talking about winning, then there's an unmentioned elephant in your living room.

Reaction Score
h

That is like stating, that we don't want to talk about a quarter nor do we really care about tails, we'll talk heads!!! Well, to talk about a coin you'll need both sides. If you want NYC to be our second home...THEN WIN BABY WIN!!! Oh and this was stated by WM.

I am not a betting man, but this is pretty simple, Win games and the CT/NY Fan will come. We don't like that because we view it as fair weather. Well is NYC anything but??? I mean really, if the Yankees are out of making the playoffs by August, I promise you that getting a ticket to a home game in September just got wicked easy - and sure if BC is going for a pennant some fans will go in the hopes of the Yankees getting them out of the play-offs.

Selling out stadiums is no guarantee of winning football games but not winning games in the NY metro area - is a guarantee of not selling out your stadium. This coach will be given a pass for the first few games. But if the average fan sees no improvement they will be wanting him gone. This area has fans that have no patience. I remember in the 90's when people wanted/demanded that Coach Calhoun be Fired!!! SO trust me - "WINNING isn't everything it is the only thing" - VL

The whole winning aspect is implied guys.

Reaction Score
If UCONN is still in the AAC in 5-7 years, then out come the lawsuits. .

Oh brother... not all that again. How did initiating the idea of suing leagues. commissioners, schools, etc work out the last time for Uconn football's advancement ? Even suggesting on message boards that Uconn football should consider lawsuits again if things don't go their way is not helpful to Uconn's football quest to get themselves to a P5 Conf. league. But thats just me 2 cents worth here as an outsider looking in.

Reaction Score
Even suggesting on message boards that Uconn football should consider lawsuits again if things don't go their way is not helpful to Uconn's football quest to get themselves to a P5 Conf. league.

Get lost. You're like that other poster who's always trying to threaten us with the cheap shots. Like we did something wrong. Like any of that matters. Rutgers screws up everyday and they're in a P5 conference. So just shut up.

Reaction Score
Get lost. You're like that other poster who's always trying to threaten us with the cheap shots. .

I didn't threaten you (or anyone else here ) with any" cheap shot"( as far as I can tell anyway from my reread of my own remarks). If you took my remarks as " a cheapshot ", I'm sorry that you took it that way, as that certainly was not my intent at all. If you believe that a future lawsuit should be considered if Uconn football does not get into a P5 conf, you are entitled to that assessment as a possible consideration. But I don't believe that its a " cheap shot " if I suggest to you that such a consideration ( and using history as our guide ) of a future lawsuit would be anything but counterproductive to Uconn football's future aspirations.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I didn't threaten you (or anyone else here ) with any" cheap shot"( as far as I can tell anyway from my reread of my own remarks). If you took my remarks as " a cheapshot ", I'm sorry that you took it that way, as that certainly was not my intent at all. If you believe that a future lawsuit should be considered if Uconn football does not get into a P5 conf, you are entitled to that assessment as a possible consideration. But I don't believe that its a " cheap shot " if I suggest to you that such a consideration ( and using history as our guide ) of a future lawsuit would be anything but counterproductive to Uconn football's future aspirations.
....First, I am not trying to defend either position....But, when UConn sued, it was a class action lawsuit against several other universities. UConn, Pitt, and others suing BC and others.
When UoL threatened to sue the Big 12 and politicians from Kentucky got involved and politicians from WVU got involved....well we forget about that. When the state of CT has some of the top law schools in the country, we hear others say... now, don't sue, remember the last time??? (And for the record we do, we had a media star in Blowmenthal who could not get enough of the limelight and it was a highly charged topic coming off of the badly handled NE Patriots debacle amongst other things -heck there was reference to the loss of the Hartford Whalers)
Now, I'm just asking why, because in my mind, if we have just cause and no other options out there, why wouldn't we take legal action. Now having said that, going around and acting like if you don't get your way - you should just sue, well its how I would describe the average mentality in the northeast. Sure I may get flack for stating this, but today, kids don't play in their neighbors yards, if a driver gets into a fender-bender then there is likely someone in the other car that is going to try and sue you! But back to UConn, they are keeping quite quiet on their potential plans, but I am sure they have legal contingencies they will follow if the need, circumstance, and timing is right and necessary. Lastly, who will decide those qualifiers? ...nelsonmuntz, or Not!

Reaction Score

I am not talking about a lawsuit. I'm talking about your scare tactics that posters on a message board shouldn't discuss it.

You said: "Even suggesting on message boards that Uconn football should consider lawsuits again if things don't go their way is not helpful to Uconn's football quest to get themselves to a P5 Conf. league".

I guess we should be scared, huh?

Like you know what is helpful to UConn. Get lost.

Reaction Score
Don't mean to start a crapstorm here...just asking because I don't know the answer......sue on what grounds?

Reaction Score
UMass said:
Don't mean to start a crapstorm here...just asking because I don't know the answer.sue on what grounds?

I'm not an attorney, but I would imagine an antitrust case could be filed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom