Jeff Jacobs on Geno | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs on Geno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/baske...uriemma-column-0613-20120613,0,5401306.column

"I was with the late, rapscallion Randy Smith of the Manchester Journal Inquirer once at a hotel bar with Auriemma. Smith was teasing Geno about his good looks, about women adoring him and how he still kept his hands to himself. Auriemma said he'd never even been to a strip club. I heard him say he's perfectly happy because he loves his wife so much.
Hey, maybe another woman steps forward tomorrow to say something horrible about Auriemma. There's always that chance. But over nearly two decades, for what it's worth, I feel compelled to say I haven't seen anything remotely suggesting someone who would stalk, batter and assault."

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Great piece by Mr. Jacobs. Lots of interesting tidbits including the possible reason for Hardwick's reassignment, a must read.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Hardwick's accompaniment of the team on the 2010 trip would seem to make it highly unlikely that the present situation is "retaliation" for the supposed 2009 event. Why wouldn't have Geno "had her removed" prior to the 2010 trip to the World Games if that was the case.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Hardwick's accompaniment of the team on the 2010 trip would seem to make it highly unlikely that the present situation is "retaliation" for the supposed 2009 event. Why wouldn't have Geno "had her removed" prior to the 2010 trip to the World Games if that was the case.

It's not clear she was in Prague for the 2010 World Championships. Jacobs' column references Prague but the complaint states that Hardwick was with the USAB team on only two occasions after 2009: (1) the 2010 pre-World Championship training camp in Hartford, and (2) the October 2011 training camp in Europe (trip to Italy, etc; Griner was with the team).

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Either way she continued to work with the team and in Geno's presence and the overall point stands. Another article refers to her presence in Prague and coaching/cheering from the stands.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Either way she continued to work with the team and in Geno's presence and the overall point stands. Another article refers to her presence in Prague and coaching/cheering from the stands.

I understand the point about subsequent assignments with USAB. There's seems to be something that occurred in Prague and Jacobs states it was in 2010. That caught my attention because she wasn't with the team in Prague in 2010. I checked the USAB site, however, and the team did travel to Prague in 2011 (the Euro trip last fall when Griner played) and Hardwick was with the team on that trip. That must be the trip Jacobs heard about and mistakenly mentioned 2010.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I understand the point about subsequent assignments with USAB. There's seems to be something that occurred in Prague and Jacobs states it was in 2010. That caught my attention because she wasn't with the team in Prague in 2010. I checked the USAB site, however, and the team did travel to Prague in 2011 (the Euro trip last fall when Griner played) and Hardwick was with the team on that trip. That must be the trip Jacobs heard about and mistakenly mentioned 2010.

Don't try to associate this with Griner. It was not her fault.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm with you Cat. not a funny comment if meant to be humorous, and if serious, then an unfortunately stupid remark.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Don't try to associate this with Griner. It was not her fault.
No one was. It was simply an identifiable marker for the trip. If it was an attempt to be funny it is in poor taste. It has already been suggested that you may be better keeping your distance on this one.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
If indeed it is about the 2011 trip that makes the action now being attributed to the purported situation in 2009even more bizarre since even more time had passed.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
No one was. It was simply an identifiable marker for the trip. If it was an attempt to be funny it is in poor taste. It has already been suggested that you may be better keeping your distance on this one.

Heaven for bid there be any levity inserted. I obviously said nothing about Geno or Hardwick with that "poor taste" post.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Heaven for bid there be any levity inserted. I obviously said nothing about Geno or Hardwick with that "poor taste" post.
There was no indication in any of it the might be termed levity. It simply sounded like your usual defensiveness about all things Baylor.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
There was no indication in any of it the might be termed levity. It simply sounded like your usual defensiveness about all things Baylor.

And an indication of your inability to recognize humor. It was a joke...lighten up. Next time I will say "Warning...this is intended as humor."

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
And an indication of your inability to recognize humor. It was a joke...lighten up. Next time I will say "Warning...this is intended as humor."
Just add an icon.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Just add an icon.

Since Griner obviously had NOTHING to do this whatsoever based on all of the information provided should I really have to add an icon to indicate that I was joking? To me, my comment was so ridiculous that I couldn't imagine anyone thinking I was serious.

But, I will try to be more prudent in my use of icons. ;)

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

That was supposed to be humor? Really?

Not even close to being funny. And maybe, just maybe, UConn fans don't feel like seeing attempts at humor from an outsider in this uncomfortable situation.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don't think UConn fans are feeling especially open to humor on this topic, ETT. A bit more circumspection on your part would be appreciated.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I was just thinking that there were a number of ways I COULD blame BG and I'm guessing ETT would find none of them remotely amusing.:confused:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I was just thinking that there were a number of ways I COULD blame BG and I'm guessing ETT would find none of them remotely amusing.:confused:

I have a better sense of humor than you think. I laughed at virtually every joke made about KM during "textgate."

As for BG, you would need to be REALLY original to make a joke I haven't seen before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom