Jeff Jacobs: As the season dies, it’s worth asking if UConn football is worth keeping alive? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: As the season dies, it’s worth asking if UConn football is worth keeping alive?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
We know the program is losing $$$. However, I doubt that includes the Nike deal, other sponsorships and corporate and Alum donations. Seems to be left out of the equation. If someone has info to clear this up...please correct me. I would like to know.

Don't forget about the upcoming new AAC deal. I think once that is finalized and news of a pay increase is released, UConn fans will step off the ledge. A tiny baby step backward but a step nonetheless.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Oh, you must mean the $25M funding on a soccer /baseball facility that has no impact on P5. Or the $45M on a part-time hockey venue to play 3 games a year in front of a dozen students.
I agree in general with what you're saying and wholeheartedly agree on the hockey venue. But even though soccer has zero impact on P5, it has historically been part of UConn's identity, both from a fan and national relevance perspective. Not enough fans to pay for itself, but a good draw.
I have mixed feeling on baseball/softball. We have carved a nice identity for ourselves in BB and have been sending players to the league. But other than when BB plays at The Dunk, I'm not sure what kind of attendance we get to justify that costly of a facility.
I'd suggest we look at Track, Cross Country, Tennis and Swimming & Diving. Outside of an occasional track person, I don't think we've ever done anything of real relevance in those sports. I picked those since we have them for men & women and might be the easiest to drop. No clue on what they cost on an annual basis.
While I'm dropping sports, I still feel like we're dropping the ball on men's lacrosse. The B1G and ACC both play it and I think with the right hire, CT could get good quickly. I'm sure it doesn't move the P5 needle, but it's a resume builder for those conferences.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I agree in general with what you're saying and wholeheartedly agree on the hockey venue. But even though soccer has zero impact on P5, it has historically been part of UConn's identity, both from a fan and national relevance perspective. Not enough fans to pay for itself, but a good draw.
I have mixed feeling on baseball/softball. We have carved a nice identity for ourselves in BB and have been sending players to the league. But other than when BB plays at The Dunk, I'm not sure what kind of attendance we get to justify that costly of a facility.
I'd suggest we look at Track, Cross Country, Tennis and Swimming & Diving. Outside of an occasional track person, I don't think we've ever done anything of real relevance in those sports. I picked those since we have them for men & women and might be the easiest to drop. No clue on what they cost on an annual basis.
While I'm dropping sports, I still feel like we're dropping the ball on men's lacrosse. The B1G and ACC both play it and I think with the right hire, CT could get good quickly. I'm sure it doesn't move the P5 needle, but it's a resume builder for those conferences.

I agree with everything you wrote. I am not a fan of cutting sports. I also really do like soccer - used to play for many years back in the day (Al Bundy alert! :)). I just have a hard time seeing UConn commit soooo much money to every sport but football when football has been driving the CR bus in the past, present, and near future.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately the UConn AD will likely have to start dropping sports soon due to the budget shortfalls facing the state.

Re-allocating funds might work if we could sustain the current $70MM budget but, I don't see that as being realistic. It's more likely that the football budget actually gets reduced, not increased, going forward.

Reaction Score
Oh, you must mean the $25M funding on a soccer /baseball facility that has no impact on P5.

I believe they have already raised $18m of the $25m for the soccer/baseball/softball facilities through private donations. The intent is 100% private funding (much like Werth).

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Big East is also a lacrosse conference. Consists of Notre Dame, Rutgers (whose actually good), GTown, Marquette, St. Johns, Villanova, Denver (don't ask), Providence.

Reaction Score

I am sure the P5 conferences are going to love to admit a new member that has eliminated every other athletic team to finance one sport.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
And Rutgers plays in the Big 10 along with Michigan, Ohio State,Penn State, Maryland, and Johns Hopkins.
Wow I messed this one up. Whoops. Totally forgot about CR for a sec lol

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
Totally forgot about CR for a sec lol
That must have felt good, forgetting about CR. I dream of the day I get to forget about CR/put it in the rear view mirror.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
I am sure the P5 conferences are going to love to admit a new member that has eliminated every other athletic team to finance one sport.
I realize it's not a good look and the list I put forth were the sports that we just don't have any history in and that we have for both sexes. But at some point there may have to be cuts. Maybe those sports are so inexpensive it's not worth it.
If we play the pretend game for a moment and we were able to get football to a better place on a national level (top 40-50), I don't think the ACC or B1G would care all that much whether we had track, golf and all the other sports I noted. We'd be competitive in the sports that matter, basketball & Football, and maybe check off other boxes they may need like hockey or Lacrosse (if we added it). It is after all, all about the Benjamins.

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I realize it's not a good luck and the list I put forth were the sports that we just don't have any history in and that we have for both sexes. But at some point there may have to be cuts. Maybe those sports are so inexpensive it's not worth it.
If we play the pretend game for a moment and we were able to get football to a better place on a national level (top 40-50), I don't think the ACC or B1G would care all that much whether we had track, golf and all the other sports I noted. We'd be competitive in the sports that matter, basketball & Football, and maybe check off other boxes they may need like hockey or Lacrosse (if we added it). It is after all, all about the Benjamins.

Frankly you cut every single one to make football and Hoops work, if you have to (not saying we are there yet) l. When you get that P5 money you can start rebuilding.

Reaction Score
If friggin Tulane, Memphis, Buffalo and a host of MAC teams can field competitive teams, UConn can do the same. Lost of red herrings here.

Reaction Score

I don't think I could do that to any student in any sport......regardless if they produce revenue or not. I'm not sure any sport at the HS level was self supporting, but it gave every athlete a chance to participate and/or excel in those sports their abilities gave them some sort of self esteem, and equipped them to learn to be a team player........which helps develop character. Now when they get to college we tell them their sport is irrelevant? I don't think I could pass any judgment like that to any student.

Reaction Score
Don't forget about the upcoming new AAC deal. I think once that is finalized and news of a pay increase is released, UConn fans will step off the ledge. A tiny baby step backward but a step nonetheless.

Yes, an increase that will mean absolutely nothing in real life to the fans, but yet will mysteriously make people feel better.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Yes, an increase that will mean absolutely nothing in real life to the fans, but yet will mysteriously make people feel better.

Sorry, but that's the real world. We'd pay $10M-$12M to exit a conference that will probably pay us more money than the one we would be entering. I think even the most detached fans, real life or second lives, could see that that would be incredibly stupid.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
Now when they get to college we tell them their sport is irrelevant? I don't think I could pass any judgment like that to any student.
We're not saying their sport is irrelevant, but in a time of reduced state funding and already high student fees, tough decisions have to be made. It's not that different from a company going in another direction and laying off people.
My UConn homer preference is to keep every sport and add men's lacrosse, but our financial situation dictates what happens. When I started there in '85 we had a couple girls in the dorm in gymnastics. I believe they cancelled the sport in 86, at least that's what my poor memory tells me. It's a club sport now, at least that's what it appears to be the case. Sometimes it happens. It may have to happen again. Just trying to be realistic.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I don't think I could do that to any student in any sport.regardless if they produce revenue or not. I'm not sure any sport at the HS level was self supporting, but it gave every athlete a chance to participate and/or excel in those sports their abilities gave them some sort of self esteem, and equipped them to learn to be a team player...which helps develop character. Now when they get to college we tell them their sport is irrelevant? I don't think I could pass any judgment like that to any student.

Schools do it all the time.

Vermont baseball
Providence baseball

Many wrestling programs.

It happens.

Frankly I think you’ll start seeing public schools passing on sports to start saving costs. Let’s the AAU and travel teams handle the costs.

Money has to go to football right now and not much else is revenue generating.

Title ix requires some money that can’t be saved, but there are still options out there

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I believe they have already raised $18m of the $25m for the soccer/baseball/softball facilities through private donations. The intent is 100% private funding (much like Werth).

Medic, I recall you noting that when I've complained about the $ pouring into non-football/mens hoops sports before. I know you're just providing the facts, so this isn't directed at you.

But even if the money is privately raised, shouldn't they be smarter about the $ coming in and not milk the donors for sports that will never ever make that money back?

Going into Hockey East was shortsighted, but throwing money at baseball/soccer/and god almighty softball? What are we thinking.

DAC17

Once upon a time, would never miss a game
Reaction Score
Medic, I recall you noting that when I've complained about the $ pouring into non-football/mens hoops sports before. I know you're just providing the facts, so this isn't directed at you.

But even if the money is privately raised, shouldn't they be smarter about the $ coming in and not milk the donors for sports that will never ever make that money back?

Going into Hockey East was shortsighted, but throwing money at baseball/soccer/and god almighty softball? What are we thinking.

For one, what I’m thinking is that we should finally start calling out the NFL and NBA for using major college programs as their minor leagues, and get them to pay for a chunk of it. Most all teams in those leagues have more money than God. Maybe it’s time for us all to admit the truth.

And 99% of kids that attend UConn or any other major school do not go on to play professional sports. They are there for a broad-based education, which may include sports that don’t provide talent to leagues that use it to make money hand over fist.

Reaction Score

I'm not sure the donors who have the interest in the sports they are donating their earmarked money towards consider it being "milked".

Maybe the guy who has offered to pony up $6m towards hockey facility upgrades can give two hoots about football or basketball? Same w/ Tony Rizza.

Can UConn be a better shepard of $$ (both athletic and non-athletic) - absolutely.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom