Jeff Jacobs: As the season dies, it’s worth asking if UConn football is worth keeping alive? | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: As the season dies, it’s worth asking if UConn football is worth keeping alive?

Reaction Score
It’s pretty obvious we need to not only save it, but further invest in it. Jacobs should simply state that. He knows the Big East is not going to thrive long term assuming a P5 split. Letting the uninformed think that’s a great solution to bring us back to the good old days is malpractice.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Wasn't Jeff supposed to help get us into a major conference?
I remember some guy promised to go all in on that and ask the tough questions, then he faded after one article.

Still this was a fair piece. Jacobs doesn't write for the BY. His target is the casual fan. For them this stuff is new and thought provoking.

Reaction Score
I remember some guy promised to go all in on that and ask the tough questions, then he faded after one article.

Still this was a fair piece. Jacobs doesn't write for the BY. His target is the casual fan. For them this stuff is new and thought provoking.

The more we say ‘drop football’ and “this will take 5 years to rebuild” the less chance we are going to have to get quality {2-3) star recruits.
These kids don’t want to come to a program that they think won’t be around in 5 years.. or that the coach that recruited them might be gone in 2-3 years.
Just stop with the negative stories. I know it’s bad but we have no shot getting any decent recruits if we keep saying this over and over. And the casual fan might have a kid considering UConn..
These kids are 17 years old and hearing any of this is going to keep us at 1-2 wins.
Just stop...

Reaction Score
The more we say ‘drop football’ and “this will take 5 years to rebuild” the less chance we are going to have to get quality {2-3) star recruits.
These kids don’t want to come to a program that they think won’t be around in 5 years.. or that the coach that recruited them might be gone in 2-3 years.
Just stop with the negative stories. I know it’s bad but we have no shot getting any decent recruits if we keep saying this over and over. And the casual fan might have a kid considering UConn..
These kids are 17 years old and hearing any of this is going to keep us at 1-2 wins.
Just stop...
Not directed at you CL82.. directed at JJ

Reaction Score
Just stop...

It’s not a crazy opinion. You may not want to hear it but if the new regime doesn’t explore this option they are derelict in their duty.

The talk that needs to stop is firing Edsall. I was a card carrying apologista during his first stint but I wasn’t thrilled with the rehire from the jump. I’m not defending him nor do I think this is all his fault. But the ship is gonna sink or swim with him at the helm. We are not going to fire him and bring in another guy before the next round of musical chairs. If we’re still in the same place in 2023 and we get shut out of the in club the football program will be in real jeopardy.

Reaction Score
The one thing that might interest us BY'ers is that Jeff thinks that not only will HCRE2.0 get the full five years, as do many of us, but probably a couple years after that until the TV contract thing shakes out. Hadn't thought about that before but I kinda agree with that. Wouldn't make sense to fire him after the 2021 season if the TV contracts and the next round of realignment are still pending.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
What I really want to read, God forbid, is how the heck UConn can win at football again. Can we increase funding to bring in a high quality (or highest possible quality) FBS staff? Is it time to cut or decrease funding of other sports to better fund football? Other than winning, can we improve gameday atmosphere somehow? You know, the questions that every other fanbase in the country asks when their teams struggle. Not quitting the sport. I guess that's only unique to our entitled media and fanbase.

Reaction Score
Fiscal responsibility? In the State of Connecticut??? Does not compute.

In all seriousness, big time college sports have always been a loss leader toward the broader goals of a University. Sports win the hearts and minds....donations follow. Football's not going anywhere. Dumb article

Dooley

Reaction Score
It's called fiscal responsibility.

Oh, you must mean the $25M funding on a soccer /baseball facility that has no impact on P5. Or the $45M on a part-time hockey venue to play 3 games a year in front of a dozen students.

$70M used to improve football could go a long way. And also better position UConn for a P5 invitation in 5 years. Last call.

Reaction Score
Did Jeff skip today's presser?

My beef with Jacobs is that whenever he has a beef, he invokes coaches pay. He did it again today. I remember Randy being quite gracious to Jeff when he came back after his heart attack. Too bad Jacobs didn't have the balls to come today if true (and assuming he's healthy of course). Perhaps he was busy at lunch with Delaney and Swofford?? :)

Dooley

Reaction Score
Fiscal responsibility? In the State of Connecticut??? Does not compute.

In all seriousness, big time college sports have always been a loss leader toward the broader goals of a University. Sports win the hearts and minds....donations follow. Football's not going anywhere. Dumb article

Yup. Sports = donor engagement = money.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Jeff Hathaway did a lousy job as did the entire leadership in the Big East at the time.

I blame Jeff as much as anyone. How BCU doesn't have any skin in this keeping UConn down is beyond me.

Reaction Score
From D1ticker.com take:

UConn beat writer Jacobs seemingly jumps the shark, asks if Huskies FB is so far gone it can't be saved. Jacobs walks it back a bit with connections between major sponsorship & media deals in Storrs & their connection to the gridiron, but also points to 2023 when Prez Herbst will be gone, potentially AD Benedict, too, and wonders if the new AAC TV pact will "provide adequate cover." Thesis: "I would urge those in charge at UConn and the state capital to start making serious study of the matter." (link)

Reaction Score
Jacobs has a job to do. Part of that job is to say controversial things sometimes to encourage readership and discussion.

I cannot think of any appealing scenario that involves dropping football. You can’t do it.

1. It will jeopardize the basketball programs long term.

2. We have great facilities and they are already built.

3. Every week or two some FCS school anoounces that they are upgrading.

4. If UMass is in FBS for the long haul, which they are, we sure as heck are as well.

In most parts of the country, this discussion would NEVER happen. It is amazing to me that some of you even consider it. We are more likely to go along being terrible in FBS than we are to drop to FCS. As far as dropping football altogether, highly unlikely. Syracuse and BC are in the Top 25 and UMass just beat us. All that proves is there is no reason we can’t be average in the AAC.

Reaction Score

FWIW: Yale has a huge pre-game memorial planned @ Coxe Cage for Cozza before this weekend’s game @ the Bowl.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom