Jeff Jacobs article in control of XL & the RENT... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs article in control of XL & the RENT...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
a great example is route 7 from norwalk to danbury. norwalk and danbury want it to happen, the little towns in between dont. the land is there and the norwalk and danbury parts are highway. wilton and ridgefield screwed the pooch and what they got in return serves them right. they instead expanded the in town rt 7 road from the crazy 1 lane mess to a 2 lane hell stretch that still has all types of throats and traffic issues. its a clwon show of a road now. they would have been better off building the highway and getting off the horse.

uconn cna not let that type of bs happen. build a dam highway.

Reaction Score
Ok, 4000 then. But dual facilities is a bad move.

You are aware that there is a new ice surface (well about I think 11 years old now) on campus that already has a posted seating capacity of 2,000 or so?

I don't think it would be that hard to make it 4,000, but I"m not a construction guy. I think they could probably blow out one of the walls make sure the roof is still supported somehow and get to 4,000 pretty easy at the Freitas building.

Reaction Score
There's a 3 mile road from the highway to Storrs. It's stunning to see the resistance to widening that road. 3 fricken miles!!! Not hard to do. I've seen this done almost everywhere else. And yet I keep hearing complaints about the difficulties with this 3 mile stretch. It should be easy to do it, a good investment in building out Storrs, and it will help with expanding Gampel instead of the XLC.

Well, the funny thing, is that about 12-15 years or so ago, that road was trully a two lane road going straight through the heart of the middle of nowhere. At exit 68, there was the Electric Blue. A gas stattion on either side of the highway at the end of the exit ramps, the 7-11 about a 1/2 mile up 195 off the highway from i-84 and then nothing, and I mean nothing, until you got to Tony's Garage, adn then what was that country line dancing bar? I can't remember the name, but it was a hopping place back then, now it's an abandoned building, and then there was Kathy John's at the four corners, and really - it was just a four way intersection close to campus with a single blinking light.

20 years - to get what they have now, from a true 2-lane road connecting the highway to the campus. it's slow going up there with development. Not fairfield county.

You drive up there now, and it's like a city compared to not to much longer than 10 years ago. With the continuing development of storrs, and the greater number of people actually taking up residence in the area, necessitating things like grocery stores, and such, eventually there will be a merritt parkway, Rte 34, style highway constructed up there connecting Storrs to 84.

Reaction Score
Well, the funny thing, is that about 12-15 years or so ago, that road was trully a two lane road going straight through the heart of the middle of nowhere. At exit 68, there was the Electric Blue. A gas stattion on either side of the highway at the end of the exit ramps, the 7-11 about a 1/2 mile up 195 off the highway from i-84 and then nothing, and I mean nothing, until you got to Tony's Garage, adn then what was that country line dancing bar? I can't remember the name, but it was a hopping place back then, now it's an abandoned building, and then there was Kathy John's at the four corners, and really - it was just a four way intersection close to campus with a single blinking light.

20 years - to get what they have now, from a true 2-lane road connecting the highway to the campus. it's slow going up there with development. Not fairfield county.

You drive up there now, and it's like a city compared to not to much longer than 10 years ago. With the continuing development of storrs, and the greater number of people actually taking up residence in the area, necessitating things like grocery stores, and such, eventually there will be a merritt parkway, Rte 34, style highway constructed up there connecting Storrs to 84.

Carl, I stopped reading after "Electric Blue"! Sorry, I was somehow distracted.......

Reaction Score
Closer to 10 miles from I-84 to the center of campus. Along that road are a number of homes and businesses that already have almost zero front yard/frontage. So you are going to get into eminent domain/compensation issues with probably around 150-175 different owners. That is not an insignificant amount of legal and settlement money. Factor in the cost actually doing the widening (state project so add 25% on top opf whatever number you want) with the cost of acquiring the right of way, where does that money com from? Add in that Mansfield residents tend to be not all that welcoming to any Uconn growth, the really poorly received news that Uconn wants to start draining water from the Farmington River water shed because they have tapped local water sources out and Uconn would have a huge battle on their hands to accommodate a major road widening of 195 for the convenience of fans. There is plenty of political ill will directed at Uconn right now between the water stuff and with the cost of the upgrades the Gov announced last week. Tell the taxpayers they have to add another $100 mill+ to widen 10 miles of road to make it easier for fans to get to campus, and that is the problem.

I agree that there's a lot of eminent domain crap going to be involved with any kind of significant widening / high volume road way construction up there. It's the product of 20 years of small town, myopic vision in the leadership of the region.

Smart people, would have been buying up the property around that road and just waiting for the cash in to come from the state when it was time to build the road.

Football people would have done that. Football people in that region, would have understood the incredible amount of business that 40-50,000 people driving in and out of storrs for a few weekends every fall would bring.

Didn't happen though, towns folk up there cried out to the state, that their rights were in trouble, and the football stadium on campus was nixed, and we've got 20 years of small town growth around a handful of bball games a year drawing 8-10,000 visitors.

Ok, I'm going to the darkside. Need to change paths. Check y'all later. Signing day soon!!!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You are aware that there is a new ice surface (well about I think 11 years old now) on campus that already has a posted seating capacity of 2,000 or so?

I don't think it would be that hard to make it 4,000, but I"m not a construction guy. I think they could probably blow out one of the walls make sure the roof is still supported somehow and get to 4,000 pretty easy at the Freitas building.

Yes, that's what I was suggesting. Keep it where it is and upgrade it to whatever capacity Hockey East requires.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He's provoking because he can't get intel - from yesterday morning:

jacobscourant Feb 3, 10:13am via Twitter for iPhone
Tired of all the secrecy and garbage rumors. CRDA, Guv, LAZ, AEG, Bushnell, Global Spectrum come out from under the rocks.

jacobscourant Feb 3, 10:08am via Twitter for iPhone
Read Jan 6 about group interested in bringing NHL to CT approaching Gov. Malloy. A month later, nothing. Show your faces or be called ghosts
He sounds like a wise guy wanna be. I didn't think there was a whole lot meat to this article. Just Jeff using his position to bully people for perceived slights.

CL82

Reaction Score
I agree that there's a lot of eminent domain crap going to be involved with any kind of significant widening / high volume road way construction up there. It's the product of 20 years of small town, myopic vision in the leadership of the region.

Smart people, would have been buying up the property around that road and just waiting for the cash in to come from the state when it was time to build the road.

Football people would have done that. Football people in that region, would have understood the incredible amount of business that 40-50,000 people driving in and out of storrs for a few weekends every fall would bring.

Didn't happen though, towns folk up there cried out to the state, that their rights were in trouble, and the football stadium on campus was nixed, and we've got 20 years of small town growth around a handful of bball games a year drawing 8-10,000 visitors.

Ok, I'm going to the darkside. Need to change paths. Check y'all later. Signing day soon!!!
Kelo v. New London, they have no rights. The showing of a economic benefit to the state is enough for eminent domain. It's bad law, but it is the law.

Reaction Score
Even if you ignore the BBall aspects of widening the road, if you want to add 6,000 students like the Gov does.. the old infrastructure isn't going to work.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I was there in the mid-80's and it has changed a ton. A lot of new businesses along 195. Ironically, Kathy Johns was just an empty building last time I was there, which is sad. I always wondered whether it would be better to extend 384 rather than widening 195.

CL82

Reaction Score
While I am in favor of expanding 195, I think you could move traffice much more efficiently by just designating some roads as 0ne way after a game (and use both lanes). Rutgers does that and it is pretty effective.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Just thinking about that road, expanding it would be no picnic. There are a lot of places there that just have no frontage and if you think that the state is just going to grab them, think again. They won't have the stomach for that.

I do like the one-way traffic idea - would take a monkey-load of cops to make it work, though.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Football people in that region, would have understood the incredible amount of business that 40-50,000 people driving in and out of storrs for a few weekends every fall would bring.

Can it match the incredible amount of business that football has brought to East Hartford?

pj

Reaction Score
With so much development on 195, it would be cheaper to build a new road. Run a Merritt type freeway from the I-84 - Rte 74 interchange down to the Rte 195 UConn Forest area.

Also, consider extending 384 toward Mansfield Center to give another outlet.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what you're saying here, but he's saying ice practice time is lost for before, during, after men's and women's basketball games at Gampel.
Dual use is a major headache. Especially with priority BBall gets at UConn, the hockey teams would have major issues getting their regular practice unless you have two rinks similar to Umass set up. BC might be known for their recent run of championships in hockey but they don't practice exclusively at Conte. They used to use Dexter School, St Sebastians, or small rink in Cleveland Circle. (that was couple years ago not sure about now)

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't think it's practical to convert Gampel, but if we did, we would have two rinks - I assume they wouldn't dynamite Freitas.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I was there in the mid-80's and it has changed a ton. A lot of new businesses along 195. Ironically, Kathy Johns was just an empty building last time I was there, which is sad. I always wondered whether it would be better to extend 384 rather than widening 195.
Kathy Johns is actually gone now. Was up there in October and the whole area was gone. Not sure what they're building there but I was a little sad to see the place gone. Used to go there with some friends a bunch of times while I was in school.

Wasn't 384 built with the intent to be a highway to Storrs?? Instead it stops and you have to take 44 the rest of the way.

Reaction Score
With so much development on 195, it would be cheaper to build a new road. Run a Merritt type freeway from the I-84 - Rte 74 interchange down to the Rte 195 UConn Forest area.

Also, consider extending 384 toward Mansfield Center to give another outlet.

It's been years since I made the drive along route 44 from the end of 384 to Storrs. Is there more room for a road expansion than along 195?

I believe I've read about the original 384 plans (which was actually 84, with what is now that part of 84 going towards Massachusetts being numbered 86) following route 6 toward Providence (which is why there is a small highway section of 6 in Willimantic).
But perhaps following 44 and connecting Hartford to Storrs more directly would be a doable project...

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
It's been years since I made the drive along route 44 from the end of 384 to Storrs. Is there more room for a road expansion than along 195?

I believe I've read about the original 384 plans (which was actually 84, with what is now that part of 84 going towards Massachusetts being numbered 86) following route 6 toward Providence (which is why there is a small highway section of 6 in Willimantic).
But perhaps following 44 and connecting Hartford to Storrs more directly would be a doable project...
I feel like there are a lot of half-@$$ed road projects in this state. 384 was supposed to be more but never was and probably never will. RT 11 was supposed to connect Rt 2 to 95 and that was half done and supposedly being looked at again. There's the phantom overpasses at the end of Rt 9 over 84. The phantom exit ramps off of the Sisson Ave exits on 84 in Hartford....wtf is up with this state! I've only been here since I started at UConn in '99. Crazy stuff for such a small state. Who approved and did these road projects?

Reaction Score

I would say 44 would be a more difficult project. There is a section in Coventry (i believe) that has commercial real estate and shopping plazas that would be difficult to expand around. It also is is about 2 miles longer than 195 from 84 to N. Eagleville.

Depot campus is on 44 though. Anyone know what they are using that for? I know Special Olympic tournaments are held there on that new field they put up., but don't recall seeing much else going on there. I always envisioned knocking that hell whole down and creating a sports plaza out there in my HFD-esque UConn 50 year plans.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
They recently widened and straightened about a 1/8th mile section of 195 right at the top of the hill just before the long descent to the intersection with 32. Considering how expensive that project was, and how long it took them to do it, I can only imagine what doing the same to the other 7 1/2 miles would entail.

Count me among those that think they should extend 384 instead. Even though it's twice as long a section of road, the cost of the project would probably be similar.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Depot campus is on 44 though. Anyone know what they are using that for?

One section has been renovated and is being used as grad assistant offices. The rest is derelict. The prison is empty now too.

Reaction Score
I feel like there are a lot of half-@$$ed road projects in this state. 384 was supposed to be more but never was and probably never will. RT 11 was supposed to connect Rt 2 to 95 and that was half done and supposedly being looked at again. There's the phantom overpasses at the end of Rt 9 over 84. The phantom exit ramps off of the Sisson Ave exits on 84 in Hartford....wtf is up with this state! I've only been here since I started at UConn in '99. Crazy stuff for such a small state. Who approved and did these road projects?

Those phantom overpasses at the 9/84 interchange is one of my favorite abandoned road projects. That was part of the Hartford "Beltway" (Of which only the 291 section was completed). I believe 291 was supposed to continue roughly along the route of 218, before turning south to meet up with the 9/84 interchange.

The highway part of 3 that takes you from 91, over the Connecticut River, and ends at 2, was also supposed to continue and link up with 291.

Instead we have bits and pieces of abandoned projects all over the place...

Reaction Score
They recently widened and straightened about a 1/8th mile section of 195 right at the top of the hill just before the long descent to the intersection with 32. Considering how expensive that project was, and how long it took them to do it, I can only imagine what doing the same to the other 7 1/2 miles would entail.

Count me among those that think they should extend 384 instead. Even though it's twice as long a section of road, the cost of the project would probably be similar.

And would have the benefit of being a more direct (even if only by a few miles) link to Hartford...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom