JC breaking down Cuse win on Mike & Mike | The Boneyard

JC breaking down Cuse win on Mike & Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Some tidbits:
"Virginia lost control of the game long before they got behind on the scoreboard."
"Virginia didn't lose the lead over 10 minutes, they lost it within 2-3 minutes when they lost control of the tempo."
"Virginia wanted to drive at 55, Syracuse made them drive at 70. They couldn't handle the car."
"Boeheim teaches swagger. You're playing golf with him and he whines, 'I only got a birdie', like he expects more because he's from Syracuse. He gets the kids to believe it."
"Mike (K) had a brain cramp talking to that kid."

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It's been a while since I've heard/read JC speak/comments and it's easy to forget what a sharp and insightful basketball mind he has. I'ts one reason why he was so great at managing games, especially the big ones. He really could identify in an instant when things were shifting and when a TO was needed, a sub required, or some sort of change in offense or defense.

It's something KO has not learned yet (not criticizing - the guy is still learning), but JC certainly was a master. He's a treat to listen to, that's for sure...

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I don't know if they replay M&M during the day, but looks like JC (and Rece Davis) are on pretty much the entire program... been a half hour and they're still on.

"The thing I like about Oklahoma is they get Buddy Hield the ball. They know what they have. It was sad watching Perry Ellis not score. Kansas didn't get him the ball. They had to figure out a way."

Reaction Score
When i listen to him talk, i wonder how he plays with Non-UCONN CBB fans.

He uses a lot of very specific terminology that every single fan may not understand (using only the first names of players or coaches who haven't been in the game for many years). He also very rarely finishes a sentence...he just tales off, or starts a new thought in the middle of the last thought. And he still speaks a little fast, although not nearly as fast as before.

I think a lot of Big East (old BE) fans will get everything, and hardcore fans will get it, but the M&M audience is made up of many many casual fans. The Boneyard gets it...so we have that going for us. I'm late to the twitter game so i dont know this, but i would love to hear what the twitter audience as to say about this hour. It would be interesting i think.

You can tell he has worked hard on it, and he is really a great deal more understandable than just a couple years ago. Quite frankly, i sometimes miss listening to (and trying to decipher) the words of the old Jim Calhoun, but you wouldn't be seeing him do a whole hour (twice in 2 weeks) on the highest rated sports radio morning show in the country.

It's also still great to hear him speak about the game. He knows an amazing amount about it. I learn something new every time i hear him go.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Some tidbits:
"Virginia lost control of the game long before they got behind on the scoreboard."
"Virginia didn't lose the lead over 10 minutes, they lost it within 2-3 minutes when they lost control of the tempo."
"Virginia wanted to drive at 55, Syracuse made them drive at 70. They couldn't handle the car."
"Boeheim teaches swagger. You're playing golf with him and he whines, 'I only got a birdie', like he expects more because he's from Syracuse. He gets the kids to believe it."
"Mike (K) had a brain cramp talking to that kid."

Boeheim's a great, great coach. He is .500 lifetime against Calhoun - that's proof right there. He's a Keith Smart jump shot away from having as many NC as Tyler Olander which is pretty rarified air.

I don't want to see SU win a NC, but I'm ok with Boeheim getting to another FF before leaving, he's had some great teams have some bad luck. Many SU fans don't deserve and don't appreciate how lucky they've been to have him. He's kind of a dick but basically a good guy. I'm not sold on Hopkins however. It will be tough to follow a legend.

I'm happier that Jay Wright is there - he deserves it too.

Reaction Score
Boeheim's a great, great coach. He is .500 lifetime against Calhoun - that's proof right there. He's a Keith Smart jump shot away from having as many NC as Tyler Olander which is pretty rarified air.

I don't want to see SU win a NC, but I'm ok with Boeheim getting to another FF before leaving, he's had some great teams have some bad luck. Many SU fans don't deserve and don't appreciate how lucky they've been to have him. He's kind of a but basically a good guy. I'm not sold on Hopkins however. It will be tough to follow a legend.

I'm happier that Jay Wright is there - he deserves it too.[/QUOTE

Great, great really? He's had great great players since he started coaching always rerouted nationally well before UConn came into prominence. 1 title which was won by Carmello is not "great" it's underachieving. Everyone has an opinion and I believe the guy is a really good coach, Top 20 all time but not elite sorry.

Great, great really? He's had great great players since he started coaching always recruited nationally well before UConn came into prominence. 1 title which was won by Carmello is not "great" it's underachieving. Everyone has an opinion and I believe the guy is a really good coach, Top 20 all time but not elite sorry.

Reaction Score
You're playing golf with him and he whines, 'I only got a birdie', like he expects more because he's from Syracuse. "

I loved this. A great "whiny/nasally" impression of JB too. It got a good laugh from everyone on set, and certainly me too.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Great, great really? He's had great great players since he started coaching always recruited nationally well before UConn came into prominence. 1 title which was won by Carmello is not "great" it's underachieving. Everyone has an opinion and I believe the guy is a really good coach, Top 20 all time but not elite sorry.
Meh, he recruited them though right? That's part of being a CBB head coach. I agree that he's done "less with more." I also agree that his win total is inflated by playing patsies at home in the OOC season. In the end his longevity and success merit recognition, much as his really stunning disregard for the rules does.

Reaction Score
Meh, he recruited them though right? That's part of being a CBB head coach. I agree that he's done "less with more." I also agree that his win total is inflated by playing patsies at home in the OOC season. In the end his longevity and success merit recognition, much as his really stunning disregard for the rules does.

I recognized his longevity Top 20. Maybe even 15.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

I have a rule of thumb to evaluate if a coach is elite.

If the coach has more wins than Jim Calhoun, he is , without question, elite.

Done.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Enough with the titles being the be all and end all. Titles involve a hell of a lot of luck. Billy Donovan is not better than JB. I'll give Boeheim credit for his damned zone defense too. He coaches it and runs it better than anyone. We tend to give it short shrift because Calhoun played it enough to know how to beat it, but damned if it isn't a nightmare for most others.

Reaction Score

Done.

You win with that. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Enough with the titles being the be all and end all. Titles involve a hell of a lot of luck. Billy Donovan is not better than JB. I'll give Boeheim credit for his damned zone defense too. He coaches it and runs it better than anyone. We tend to give it short shrift because Calhoun played it enough to know how to beat it, but damned if it isn't a nightmare for most others.

Sorry but I also will give him credit for the zone and how good they were in it. And I will also take credit from him in some games which we saw his team being torn up in the zone and he never came out of it, one being Vermont. You have better athletes and you can't get into a man to assure you win that game? Sorry he's a really really good coach way up there all time. But as "lucky" as it is he should have gotten a lot more shots and being lucky then with his talent pool. Way to much credit form you and sdhusky and this is not "I hate the Cuse" just one mans opinion.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I don't know if they replay M&M during the day, but looks like JC (and Rece Davis) are on pretty much the entire program... been a half hour and they're still on.

"The thing I like about Oklahoma is they get Buddy Hield the ball. They know what they have. It was sad watching Perry Ellis not score. Kansas didn't get him the ball. They had to figure out a way."

It is a podcast if people missed it.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

The Picker has had more elite players than UConn and has done less with them. As the Squid had his Davis NC, the picker had his Carmelo NC
I would not put him anywhere the elite status - good yes
Longevity is not always a measure od success but used wrongly by the HoF in many cases in the basketball world.
As far as being a shot, a turnover a rebound away from a possible title - that's the game and many teams can lay claim to these scenarios - UConn can certainly show a few.

Reaction Score
It certainly felt like Syracuse was even with Virginia even when they were 15 behind. I mean, Perrantes was hitting from way out while Syracuse was missing open 3s, so it really did look like Cuse was dominating play even when they were way behind.

If I'm Malachi Richardson, I don't think I come back for Soph. season.

Reaction Score
It certainly felt like Syracuse was even with Virginia even when they were 15 behind. I mean, Perrantes was hitting from way out while Syracuse was missing open 3s, so it really did look like Cuse was dominating play even when they were way behind.

If I'm Malachi Richardson, I don't think I come back for Soph. season.

What I saw before a nap stopped my viewing entertainment, was a UVA team which was much better than the Cuse at halftime. Glad I didn't see them fall apart.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
It is a podcast if people missed it.
Thanks. I'll now learn if I can locate & download a podcast to listen to offline as I drive to Norwalk today. Old dog, meet new trick. ITunes I not showed as recent as 3/25 just now. I'll try Stitcher next, or wait a bit. This is the kind of content that motivat 's me to learn new stuff.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Thanks. I'll now learn if I can locate & download a podcast to listen to offline as I drive to Norwalk today. Old dog, meet new trick. ITunes I not showed as recent as 3/25 just now. I'll try Stitcher next, or wait a bit. This is the kind of content that motivat 's me to learn new stuff.

Use the podcast app on your iPhone (You can search your phone for the app as it is automatically downloaded to your phone). Search for Mike & Mike hit subscribe the episode will automatically download and you'll be able to listen to the entire show and have the ability to fast forward through the commercials.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
What I saw before a nap stopped my viewing entertainment, was a UVA team which was much better than the Cuse at halftime. Glad I didn't see them fall apart.
I fell asleep on Friday w/Gonzaga in the lead and then hosted a Syracuse grad (on the way home from dropping his kid back at college) for only the second half last night.

Reaction Score

Done.

All due respect SD, but that can't be the only metric. There are too many variables. Most notably, where the program was before he got there (65% winning in the 8 years prior to his arrival, compared to what JC had (40-something iirc), player development (only NC was when he had pretty much the undisputed best player, then nothing else despite having some of the best recruiting classes many of those years), and so many earlier than expected exits from the tourney.

He's great, and the longevity, number of final fours, and win total make him look legendary, but i think you need more than 1 title in 30+ (almost 40 i think) years to be elite (top 10 or so).

again...all due respect

Reaction Score
I fell asleep on Friday w/Gonzaga in the lead and then hosted a Syracuse grad (on the way home from dropping his kid back at college) for only the second half last night.

I guess the key is for us not to fall asleep when UNC is beating them Saturday then huh? Any chance these 2 teams can play 25 OT's and call it a night? Besides their fans I'm guessing no one wants either of them to win.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Use the podcast app on your iPhone (You can search your phone for the app as it is automatically downloaded to your phone). Search for Mike & Mike hit subscribe the episode will automatically download and you'll be able to listen to the entire show and have the ability to fast forward through the commercials.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=15082669

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3