JC breaking down Cuse win on Mike & Mike | Page 2 | The Boneyard

JC breaking down Cuse win on Mike & Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think our metrics are unique only because of our titles won in a short period of time. By any other metric JB is a great coach. We just sometimes need to recognize that we have the fortune of having a greater coach, one who took 3-4 stars and turned them into NBAers, and who was able to produce dominant 'teams' with them and stay on top of the toughest conference in the land. His demand of excellence and performance is unmatched (at least to me).

JC is in a league of his own, especially what he did with and at UConn. He (and staff) were excellent coaches and had the best eyes for potential talent. I'm not sure other than K, if there is another coach who hated to lose. Simply put JC could coach his arse off.

With that said there are still some excellent coaches left including JB, Roy and K, Izzo and a couple of others. I don't think its far fetched to call them great coaches. I think we sometimes think posters and media are calling them 'greater' or 'greatest'. When they retire we will be losing a lot of legacy in the college game, that's for sure. They are not HOFers for meaningless reasons.

Anyway JB and Roy need no validation, their schools (like UConn) are very fortunate to have them as well. I will say that to me 2 Championships should be the minimum for greatness. Championships aside, relevancy and winning programs do count, just not as much here at UConn.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
based solely on wins?
Not in my book
Success is championships

So Tyler Olander is a greater Husky than Kemba?

2>1

Judging just by championships is as weak as including Helms Trophies.

Keith Smart shot rolls out or Brimahs rebounds slips through his fingers or Tate George holds onto the ball?

Its a game of inches.

If Ollie gets to 4 more FF's, wins 800+ games - i'm happy.

Reaction Score
Before the tournament Calhoun was on Tiki Barber's show and when asked about Jim Larranaga's comment that "30 teams could win it this year" Calhoun said that was BS and specifically mentioned a team like West Virginia "I've never seen a team press their way to a championship". And of course they lost first round. Calhoun knew. He's a brilliant basketball mind. Only Coach K can compare in his era. The guy won 3 titles at a school that had little national pedigree. And he did it never getting to play in his home state like several of the blue bloods get to every year.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
My takeaway: JC says Boeheim is a whiner and coach K is mentally touched.

I love JC

Just to be completely accurate, JC didn't use the word "whined" and he sort of defended Coach K (while saying he'd never do anything like that).

Reaction Score
Great, great really? He's had great great players since he started coaching always recruited nationally well before UConn came into prominence. 1 title which was won by Carmello is not "great" it's underachieving. Everyone has an opinion and I believe the guy is a really good coach, Top 20 all time but not elite sorry.

Most Cuse fans would admit that he is terrible at teaching offense. Much of the time it is schoolyard ball. But he teaches that zone as well as anyone.

Reaction Score
So Tyler Olander is a greater Husky than Kemba?

2>1

Judging just by championships is as weak as including Helms Trophies.

Keith Smart shot rolls out or Brimahs rebounds slips through his fingers or Tate George holds onto the ball?

Its a game of inches.

If Ollie gets to 4 more FF's, wins 800+ games - i'm happy.

I'm not sure anyone said they wouldn't be happy with JB's results, why wouldn't you be. The topic is "elite' coach or not. You can throw "ifs" on everyone's resume including K and many others but winning team takes strategy and a great mind. I can't put him in with K, Wooden, JC, Knight, Izzo etc etc......can't do it.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
He's great and overrated at the same time. He shouldn't be in the FF because they should have been banned this season.

They had an easy ride to the Elite 8, but beat a very good Virginia team.

If they somehow pull this off, they will have exactly half as many titles as us and tie Olander. All worthy accomplishments.

That should cover it. Let's move on.

Reaction Score
Use the podcast app on your iPhone (You can search your phone for the app as it is automatically downloaded to your phone). Search for Mike & Mike hit subscribe the episode will automatically download and you'll be able to listen to the entire show and have the ability to fast forward through the commercials.
Which hour is he on 1st or 2nd episode?

Reaction Score
I have a rule of thumb to evaluate if a coach is elite.

If the coach has more wins than Jim Calhoun, he is , without question, elite.

Done.
with the vacated wins, isn't Boeheim far behind Calhoun now?

Reaction Score
Eh, I could see how Boeheim could have had another championship or maybe two, but, apart from maybe Sherman Douglas/Ron Seiks and DC and BO, I don't look at any non title teams of his and think they should have gone further. I have to respect Borheim as a coach, and it can't be easy to recruit people to play in an area that often gets more snow than the rest of the lower 48.

Reaction Score
Keith Smart shot rolls out or Brimahs rebounds slips through his fingers or Tate George holds onto the ball? Its a game of inches
It's also a game of averages. If Donyell hits a Free. If Dyson does not get hurt. If D. Brown finds the net. We have more close scrapes to glory than them, and, oddly, we could have hung another 2 or 3 banners if everything broke perfectly. They/he can't say that.

Reaction Score
Why does the word 'elite' trigger a Boneyard debate on the subjective value of an athlete, coach, team or program?
A. ESPN conditioned us to react this way
B. Sports radio conditioned us that these topics are important and our opinion is the ultimate arbiter
C. We UConn fans are elite sheep more capable then the mere lambs that follow other programs to render definitive answers

Reaction Score
Why does the word 'elite' trigger a Boneyard debate on the subjective value of an athlete, coach, team or program?
B. Sports radio conditioned us that these topics are important and our opinion is the ultimate arbiter
C. We UConn fans are elite sheep more capable then the mere lambs that follow other programs to render definitive answers

or...
D) Just because

Reaction Score
This is why [Mau is] an elite poster
I'm not sure I can agree. While 18,000 posts and 14,000 likes are very impressive, is this more a reflection of volume posting combined with longevity, or elite content delivered opportunely? And can one really be an "elite" poster without having TCF-type media skills or Fishy-esque rapier wit?

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I can agree. While 18,000 posts and 14,000 likes are very impressive, is this more a reflection of volume posting combined with longevity, or elite content delivered opportunely? And can one really be an "elite" poster without having TCF-type media skills or Fishy-esque rapier wit?

Totally agree, like a volume shooter. I average 24 points a game on 34.5% shooting but I throw mine up there for sure Taste, many don't hit iron ;) LOL

caw

Reaction Score

Why does blue blood among KU fans?

Reaction Score
It certainly felt like Syracuse was even with Virginia even when they were 15 behind. I mean, Perrantes was hitting from way out while Syracuse was missing open 3s, so it really did look like Cuse was dominating play even when they were way behind.

If I'm Malachi Richardson, I don't think I come back for Soph. season.
Agree with Richardson. If he has any doubts he should ask melo Trimble. If you are in the top 20 discussion, more times than not going back to school hurts more than it helps. Contrary with what most want you to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom