Jana officially not participating in the 22-23 season [MERGED] | The Boneyard

Jana officially not participating in the 22-23 season [MERGED]

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
“A 6-foot-4 center from Cairo, Egypt, El Alfy is not expected to participate during the 2022-23 season but can practice and travel with the team. She arrived in Connecticut on Sunday and began classes Monday.”

Great news. Glad to hear she's on campus, and that she can travel with the team. Her early enrollment will pay HUGE dividends down the road. She's got a lot of things to learn (and adjust to) BEFORE she's ready to take the floor in a regulation game. She'll learn a lot in the coming days and weeks. Let the maturation begin!!! Welcome to the family Jana. We look forward to seeing you play in November, and for the next 4 years. You'll never be sorry you chose UConn. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am very pleased that UConn is reaching out and attracted anothder international recruit. There is a lot of talent out there and if Geno and the coaching staff approve, then there will be another solid recruit. Look at the results that UConn has achieved to date. I am sure that Jana will enjoy this learning experience and become a contributing member of the Team.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
"not expected to participate" means you have some insurance against the risk of forfeit.
We've already had to reschedule 1 game. If it happens again, it could be a forfeit. Crap happens. You never know what tomorrow will bring. You're right. She is an insurance policy that can dress and increase the active roster on a given night from 6 to 7. It doesn't mean she has to play, just dress and be on the bench. UConn would be in dire straights if that happens again. :confused: Let's hope it doesn't.

Reaction Score
Congrates to Jana El Alfy for enrolling at Uconn. She is a mobile big who will provide us wilth some
of the unorthodox outside and inside play made famous by Stewie. I expect her to be a force for the Huskies especially by her sophomore year. We are glad that she chose Uconn. She won't be sorry and neither will we.

Reaction Score
I will love to see her sitting on the bench next to Ice and Caroline and Ayanna and Azzi and Coach P -- that's an education in itself. Plus, she'll bring some new life to the party. I think the wounded will very much enjoy having her with them.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's necessarily "official" that she's not participating. Actually, technically she is definitely "participating" by being a part of the team activities and practices.

I think this just confirmed it's unlikely she gets into any games, which is what I expected. She'll need some time to get up to speed with the team and system and it's not worth burning a year of eligiblity for garbage time in a few games down the stretch. Certainly that can change if she comes in and is magically ready to be an All-American from day one (and be essentially an upgrade over Dorka and Aaliyah), but that's very unlikely.

Reaction Score
We've already had to reschedule 1 game. If it happens again, it could be a forfeit. Crap happens. You never know what tomorrow will bring. You're right. She is an insurance policy that can dress and increase the active roster on a given night from 6 to 7. It doesn't mean she has to play, just dress and be on the bench. UConn would be in dire straights if that happens again. :confused: Let's hope it doesn't.
I don't know what the rules are for the tournament, but imagine having to forfeit a tournament game - or playing with only 4 players!

Reaction Score
She arrived in Connecticut on Sunday and began classes Monday.”
Screenshot_20230123-124905_Instagram.jpg

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If she steps into a game in those circumstances people are saying she uses a year of eligibility. Are you saying we can pretend count her and not play her? I'd rather forfeit or delay.

Reaction Score
I don't know what the rules are for the tournament, but imagine having to forfeit a tournament game - or playing with only 4 players!

The rule for the tournament is the same as the normal NCAA rule, i.e. that teams must start with five players on the floor but can continue to play with less than five. Refs have the option to declare a forfeit when a team is down to one player.

Reaction Score
Personally love this! Really can’t see any downsides to this decision on her behalf. From a basketball perspective, having another body will be really helpful in practice for this season. For the future, it’s huge that she’ll get a head start on learning the system and participating in strength/conditioning.

When we look forward to next year, the biggest roster question mark comes from the departure of Dorka. Deberry has shown signs of life recently, but is still a huge question mark when trying to determine if she’s at the level to be the starting 5. This early arrival puts Geno in a position to have another option at the 5 spot to start the year. Think Dolson with a few extra months of preparation.

Reaction Score
If she considers herself a practicing Muslim, she can reach out to peers on campus-

Yes, of course. But there’s also the freedom of choice to be a non-practicing Muslim to consider! Or to change religion or to reject religion! Or to engage in social practices prohibited by Islam.

There is a lot to adjust to

Reaction Score
Jana has already been added to the Roster on the uconnhuskies.com page. Very efficient.
Based on the myriad of posts on the subject, I suspect this means she should be able to be with the team on the bench....perhaps behind a glass door like this
1674499034433.png
thus able to help ONLY if absolutely needed to field a team. The "not expected to play" this year leads me to believe they will use her only if required...rather than burn a year.

GO HUSKIES

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"not expected to participate" means you have some insurance against the risk of forfeit.
I was wondering about that language as well. If we only have six other players available, does Jana count as the seventh? I suppose one could argue that she isn’t physically prepared to play at this level yet.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
IMO that means she will not be seen on the court this season. But I am wondering if she shows up and hits it out of the park in practice if they would reconsider that? However, even as good as the reviews are that's probably unlikely.

(Edit: This is probably the kind of off the wall, knucklehead, armachair speculation that cause Nan to pull her hair out - LOL)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom