Jana - In Madrid - FIBA Games | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Jana - In Madrid - FIBA Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Here are the up to date (i think they are up to date) stats for the top 15 scorers at the tournament... Very impressive #'s all the way around for Jana against some of the best in the world at her age group.

1689783013149.png

Reaction Score
Yup, that's what I see too. She's Stewie-like. Similar build -- maybe slightly bigger -- but the handles, the strong hands, the long arms. Those are Stewie features.

I can't believe how sold on this kid I've become. She really is something!
Agreed, and posted this in December….”Her footwork and ball skills reminds me of another recent big we had...you may remember her by her nickname -"Stewie"...although Jana's 3 point shooting form is not quite like Stewie's (and hers was classic, high release), her back to the basket and inside the paint moves may be as good - expect her to be a game changer!”

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
:eek: Never thought I would be the one to make an unrelated thread about, , , NIKA!:(

However. Having never really watched FIBA or basketball outside of the US (excluding Olympic games). I now understand Nikas bewildered, exasperated, looks at the official charging her with a personal foul.

Holly Cow! If they were to stick the NCAA official on the floor with a whistle there would be no starters on the floor at the end of the first quarter!

I will no longer gripe about non calls, bad, calls, incorrect calls, stupid calls, or mysterious calls.

Comparing the NCAA game to the other leagues around the world the NCAA is sissy ball. Yes I prefer pretty basketball even if it's sissy style.
:)

But I now understand the difficulty the kids from overseas have adjusting to the ncaa officiating that is so different from how they have been taught to play.

Reaction Score
Even Geno gives freshmen a pass.

My job as a "Fan" is to cheer and hope that these young ladies develop as close to their potential as possible. Leave UConn a lot more prepared for their future whatever they want it to be.

I don't think it's my place to criticize any of these kid's nor do I think anyone on the BY should either.

At the end of the day. I'm never disappointed. I celebrate their accomplishments.

We don't "really" know these kids. I'm actually thankful that the staff and university doing a good job of keeping the kids personal stuff unavailable.
I agree. I don’t buy into the idea that a fan has the right to dump criticism on players, especially young players. I can’t imagine what that criticism would have done to me at that age. Some fans completely cross a line, and I have to wonder what they are like in real person.

My idea of a fan is: I get the privilege to ride the ups and downs of a season, to revel in the growth of players, to empathize with their injuries and their tough games. I don’t believe in win at all costs, which is why I appreciate the way this program is run.

Sure, I get frustrated with the coaches and players sometimes. It’s easy to sit on the couch and “KNOW” the better way to do it (haha). But as an adult who has control over my emotions and doesn’t dump them into the great wide web, I move on.

I also don’t ”know” these kids. I remember reading an article about Brianna Pulido after her time at UConn. During her four years, she was lauded for being a great team player—willing to do whatever her team needed, even if that meant sitting on the bench. However, in the article, she talked about how she went to UConn believing she could play meaningful minutes. She talked about how hard it was to realize that wasn’t going to happen. While I’m sure her four years had many ups, there were also a lot of downs that she struggled with.

Reaction Score

Now that takes some serious hand strength with double & triple teamers yanking on the ball.... The European tour can't get here soon enough!

Then Jana will have some outstanding teamates to get her the ball where she likes it, and she will need to keep moving without the ball AND be ready for a "threading of the needle" pass from just about every Husky that is on the court with her.

It will be a thing of beauty!!!!!

Reaction Score
Agreed, and posted this in December….”Her footwork and ball skills reminds me of another recent big we had...you may remember her by her nickname -"Stewie"...although Jana's 3 point shooting form is not quite like Stewie's (and hers was classic, high release), her back to the basket and inside the paint moves may be as good - expect her to be a game changer!”

In her first 3 years Stewart's 3pt%'s were 31% 33% 34%. She shot 43% as a senior.

Reaction Score
Jana jogs down the court on Defense and lack of playing hard Defense but I'm guessing that will pick up once she gets started with Uconn. Maybe she's taking it light so not to get hurt

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
:eek: Never thought I would be the one to make an unrelated thread about, , , NIKA!:(

However. Having never really watched FIBA or basketball outside of the US (excluding Olympic games). I now understand Nikas bewildered, exasperated, looks at the official charging her with a personal foul.

Holly Cow! If they were to stick the NCAA official on the floor with a whistle there would be no starters on the floor at the end of the first quarter!

I will no longer gripe about non calls, bad, calls, incorrect calls, stupid calls, or mysterious calls.

Comparing the NCAA game to the other leagues around the world the NCAA is sissy ball. Yes I prefer pretty basketball even if it's sissy style.
:)

But I now understand the difficulty the kids from overseas have adjusting to the ncaa officiating that is so different from how they have been taught to play.
With knowledge comes understanding. :cool:

Reaction Score
She did play and basically was a no show, playing a little over 19 min. and scoring just 4 pts.
My impression from watching Lithuania is that Juste does not have to be the "star" of
this team. Juste is making wonderful "skip" passes and every opposing team seems
to have a " shadow" on her. When she gets the ball, when she drives, she is
double and tripled teamed. Juste is fortunate to have a bevy of three-point shooters
that drain the kickouts she provides. I believe that Lithuania hit 50 % from 3 point
land in their win against Egypt. However, if Jocyte does not light it up in the next game
against Spain, IMO, Lithuania loses! NOTE: Jana did well against Juste when Juste
was covering Jana underneath.

Reaction Score
Here are the up to date (i think they are up to date) stats for the top 15 scorers at the tournament... Very impressive #'s all the way around for Jana against some of the best in the world at her age group.

View attachment 89846
Jana also has taken the second most FT per game, but #1 Fournier (CAN) for attempts only made a woeful 35.7%.

I like our young Huskie to be the leading scorer in the tournament as they vie for #9 by winning on Friday morning vs. Taipei, with Jana going for 32+ points, and getting her 3 point plays the old fashioned way (and one!)...

Jana also has the fewest minutes per game played in the top seven...

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Nice post
I love your point about your job as a fan.

I just hope fans on here don't get too carried away with Jana in which her effort gets over-exaggerated/picked on. The same thing used to happen with Tina Charles her 1st two years. Fans got extremely way too carried away with Geno's comments. For example, Geno used to make the laughable comment that Tina should average a double-double at halftime. Nor did he give her a pass her frosh year. It was a little bit of a pity that fans hung onto all of Geno's words to such an extreme that it seemed that they never could enjoy her. Her frosh year she was Honorable Mention A/A. Her soph year she was 3rd Team A/A.

I hope the same won't happen with Jana. She’s not going to be Usain Bolt in transition. Nor will Jana be “Bill Russell” on Defense.

In addition, there has to be an understanding that Geno could choose to want to see "perfection." Also, he is huge on "Body Language." Thua, his outlook on expecting perfection and body language and other things similar like expecting a player (Tina) to have a halftime-double-double when you have teammates like Maya, Monty, and Kalana among others falls into a coach doing a portion of his job; which is to try to push player's beyond their limits. Tina had limits and Jana will have limits. As a fan I won't expect perfection or care about body language but as a fan I can enoy the player and the game even without the aforementioned attributes. For Geno, because he is the coach, he can feel disappointed if there is no perfection.- I never have to.

Reaction Score
I think hitting FTs is hugely important. 3 years ago, only Paige was a reliable FT shooter, everyone else struggled. The following year it was Paige and Azzi for as long as they were both playing. Last season, no Paige, and only a little Azzi, but Lou seemed to have infected the team with good FT shooting, Aaliyah and Nika especially. This coming season, one thing I'm looking forward to is our FT shooting. We could actually have a starting 5 (plus 3) averaging over 80%. And Ice Jana Aubrey and Caroline won't bring that average down.

Reaction Score
Jana jogs down the court on Defense and lack of playing hard Defense but I'm guessing that will pick up once she gets started with Uconn. Maybe she's taking it light so not to get hurt
nope ... sorry ... not going make this kind of judgement on an incoming freshman. I want to see what she does in a UConn uniform.

These kids are playing at an WNBA pace ... considerably faster than NCAA. And playing with more physicality.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Jana tooday:
#PlayersMinPtsFG2Pts3PtsFTOREBDREBREBASTPFTOSTLBLK+/-
8Jana Elalfy36:332811/2445.8%10/1758.8%1/714.3%5/683.3%581311620-1824
One, ONE personal foul in 36 minutes.
Egypt lost to Lithuania 86-64
That means she can stay on the floor, avoiding foul trouble. I like that!! :cool: I think there will be times when Geno wants and needs her on the floor this year.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
That means she can stay on the floor, avoiding foul trouble. I like that!! :cool: I think there will be times when Geno wants and needs her on the floor this year.
No, it means international refs aren’t as whistle-happy as NCAA refs. If you watch the games, a lot of the ticky-tack stuff that gets called here is ignored by international refs

Carnac

Reaction Score
I meant at times when his options are limited, i.e. his other post players are either nicked up and unavailable for a game or two, or in foul trouble. RIGHT NOW, I'm not even going to try and guess or predict how many minutes Jana will get per game this year. Ice will have a lot to say about that. Amari might have something to say also. We have not seen a healthy Amari yet. She had back surgery this summer. She should begin the season with a clean bill of health and a very strong and urgent resolve to make up for lost time.

Carnac

Reaction Score
No, it means international refs aren’t as whistle-happy as NCAA refs. If you watch the games, a lot of the ticky-tack stuff that gets called here is ignored by international refs
Thanks, Nan. Admittedly, I have not had the time to view any of her games yet this summer. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom