Jana - In Madrid - FIBA Games | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Jana - In Madrid - FIBA Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Notice in this video posted by @UConnCat above in the lower left clip Jana rips the ball away from ESPN 10th ranked and Duke commit Toby Fournier. Like taking candy from a baby

Babies should not be eating candy. :D I love it!!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
About her pace and intensity not being up to standard? All on a minuscule sample. that is whey I am talking about as to speculation.

Reaction Score
They are talking about people coming and saying she has a low motor and is a low effort player and will never be great because of said low motor and low effort. Based on one game where she scored 29 points.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Jana is the one I'm really looking forward to this fall. If she gives us half of what has been suggested it is going to be ripping good fun.

Maybe she could crochet a travel
One thing that I think will be a blessing in disguise is the limited (or will it be none) minutes for Paige. When she was at her peak freshman year, in crunch time, the rest of the team seemed to treat the ball like a hot potato (get it out of my hands) and only Paige seemed willing to take a big shot (see the end of the SC game when NO ONE wanted the ball, and Paige had to create something out of nothing with a "10 out of 10 on the scale of difficulty" shot)...

We know Paige can and will be spectacular, but I'm hoping the rest of the team never develops a "stand around and watch Paige go" mentality. With her limited, or out, it just gives the team more chance to rely on each other, not Paige, to do it all, including bail them out in a big moment (yeah I know exhibition games, but the demeanor and genetics of the team are being developed as we speak so...)...
We (UConn fans) have good cause to be extremely cautious and highly wary of our players when they’re playing games. Why? Because we lost Paige and Ice to injury that I understand was suffered without any contact (correct me if I’m wrong) with another player.
She is impressive.
When I see Jana, who was still in high school this time last year, I see “what can be”, not what is, or what should be. Some of the criticism of Jana (to me) is a bit too harsh at this stage in her UConn career. I do respect the takes and concerns of others. Compared to where she’ll be in 4 years, she’s basically raw right now.

I would suggest that we allow Jana the room and time to grow and make the transformation from a good player from another country that did not have the luxury of playing with elite-level teammates in HS or AAU, to make the adjustments mentally and physically she needs to make BEFORE we criticize her and rake her over the coals for the assorted deficiencies we see in her game.

She needs to be coached, and she needs time to grow. The expectations I will have for Jana next November will be a lot greater than those I have for her today. How about we give her a little time to grow, adjust and mature a bit first? I have no doubt she will make us all proud in the very near future.

Reaction Score
Exactly. Stewie always seems relaxed as if if you asked her what she did today she would say “went to the supermarket, walked the dog, scored 25 points, watched a little TV, you know, nothing special”.

I think there is way too much speculation in this thread about Jana based on insufficient evidence. The off season iis way too long. .
But..... seeing is believing.... and I believe that there are many future highlights for Jana in the next 9 months!

Carnac

Reaction Score

This is a reminder that you go wherever you have to go and do (ride a camel) whatever you have to do to recruit that “Jewel” of the Nile. :D Great get CD!! I wonder if Geno would have climbed up on that camel if he have been on that recruiting trip? :eek: That would have been a true Kodak moment.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They are talking about people coming and saying she has a low motor and is a low effort player and will never be great because of said low motor and low effort. Based on one game where she scored 29 pointsr
Jeez, 29 points with a motor in low. What is she going to score with her motor in high?

I remember from the practice video that was posted that Geno said after a Paige to Jana layup that, paraphrasing here, they are going to score a lot of points together-- which implies that they are going t.o spend a lot of time on the court together.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I saw an article maybe 10 days ago, can't find it now, in which Jana's dad said Jana came home and he didn't recognize her on the court. She's been a hard working sponge apparently.
THAT is exactly what I'm talking about. I remember reading that too. HE knows her better than anyone. If he could see the vast growth and development in her game since he last saw her 7 months ago (she arrived in Storrs for the spring semester in January after graduating from HS early), what is she going to be like after a little "seasoning" over the next 13 months (including Fiba play next summer)?

If you don't read or hear anything else about Jana, HIS observation of Jana should be all you need to know for right now. :eek:
Again....that is why my expectations for her will be much greater a year from now than they are today. Most freshmen are not Paige Bueckers or Maya Moore (the only UConn WBB player to score 3000+ career points) who made the transition from HS to "elite" WCBB without missing a beat. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score

If I was CD, that picture would be on a will (in a nice frame) in my office. :) It's a good bet that no one that enters her office and sees that picture has ever been on a camel. :rolleyes: Notice how much taller her father is than she is at 6-4/5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom