Jana - In Madrid - FIBA Games | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Jana - In Madrid - FIBA Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes, it's all speculation. And criticizing a young'un before she's had a chance to fit herself into the system is a fool's game. But looking for clues and hints of future greatness is what many of us are pretty well equipped to do. Only Geno and CD & Co do it better. And what I see in Jana is a fierce heart. That's the one thing that can't be taught. Either you have some ferocity inside or you don't. She also has some skills and she'll develop more as she goes along. But that heart will serve her and all the Huskies well.

When she drives the length of the floor and the guards are afraid to challenge her, you're seeing good handles, but you're mainly seeing that fierce heart. That's what has opposing guards afraid, not her handles.

Also worth noting on the skills front: I suspect she won't suffer from lay-up-itis, as so many Huskies have over the last couple seasons. She doesn't miss the bunnies... rather like Caroline in this respect.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Even Geno gives freshmen a pass.

My job as a "Fan" is to cheer and hope that these young ladies develop as close to their potential as possible. Leave UConn a lot more prepared for their future whatever they want it to be.

I don't think it's my place to criticize any of these kid's nor do I think anyone on the BY should either.

At the end of the day. I'm never disappointed. I celebrate their accomplishments.

We don't "really" know these kids. I'm actually thankful that the staff and university doing a good job of keeping the kids personal stuff unavailable.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
The first person on that list would be Tina Charles. She did not start to use her full talent until her junior year. Geno was making jokes about how (20 years later when she was married and had children) she would finally understand what he was saying about effort. He also made jokes about Carl Sagan (light from distant galaxies needing centuries to arrive on earth).

Kara Wolters would be another UConn person to add to the list. Stef Dolson might be another.

Actually I recall Geno commenting in an interview that the number of players who arrive at UConn already understanding the level of effort that will be required for them to excel at the D1 college level is quite small. The great majority of UConn players need to be taught that when they come to UConn.
I recall quite vividly Geno's frustration with Tina, who got schooled by opponents' bigs, and his assertion that UConn would be a serious contender for the national championship ONLY if she reached her potential. Basically, he put the fate of the entire team on her shoulders. I think that might have been sometime in her junior year, after what he considered were failure to perform during her prior years

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
There are two primary components to "effort" when it comes to UConn WBB players. For the most part, Geno's mantra that, "WE DON'T TEACH EFFORT HERE." is accurate for the vast majority of players who come to UConn, when it pertains to working hard in practice, running the court and giving 100% physically.

But there is a second type of effort required to play basketball at the highest level that requires intense mental focus on execution at all times. So basically, when a player is on the court, they are not running around furiously like a chicken with their head cut off. On offense, movement has to have a purpose, i.e. setting good screens or making sharp cuts to the basket. On defense, getting into a good defensive stance, calling out screens, switching and so on. Geno wants to see this type of focused effort 100% of the time. Mental mistakes drive him crazy, which is why Geno is demanding when it comes to his players.

One good example comes to mind. From the moment she arrived at Storrs, Aubrey gave 100% effort, physically. But for several years her movement, particularly on offense, lacked a clear purpose. In the last few years, Aubrey has become extremely effective in screening, cutting to the basket and crashing the boards. While she is not a great shooter, the UConn offense is no longer limited to playing 4 on 5 when Aubrey is on the court.

Geno's greatest strength as a coach is to get all of his players who remain in Storrs for 4 years to buy into the 100% mental focus required to win championships. For Jana, KK, Ashlynn, Quadence and other Huskies, that ability to focus is a work in progress that requires their relentless pursuit.
Second paragraph: excellent focus and content!!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Yes, it's all speculation. And criticizing a young'un before she's had a chance to fit herself into the system is a fool's game. But looking for clues and hints of future greatness is what many of us are pretty well equipped to do. Only Geno and CD & Co do it better. And what I see in Jana is a fierce heart. That's the one thing that can't be taught. Either you have some ferocity inside or you don't. She also has some skills and she'll develop more as she goes along. But that heart will serve her and all the Huskies well.

When she drives the length of the floor and the guards are afraid to challenge her, you're seeing good handles, but you're mainly seeing that fierce heart. That's what has opposing guards afraid, not her handles.

Also worth noting on the skills front: I suspect she won't suffer from lay-up-itis, as so many Huskies have over the last couple seasons. She doesn't miss the bunnies... rather like Caroline in this respect.
Very well said Doggy!! :cool:

Reaction Score
Thanks for the posting of the schedule/ Competition System. I believe that the re-seeding
is based on the cumulative point spread for the Group Phase games. EG. USA with a point
spread of + 136 ( # one seed) playing against Argentina with a point spread of - 133 ( number 16 seed).
There is, of course, the comment in this post by " Majic Hands " in the explanation of
the Competitive System where GROUPS A and B and C and D are crossed matched, but
the point spread appears consistent to my reconning of the exact reseed. Note both
Japan and Lithuania are + 42 and THe Czech Republic is at + 43. The Czechs get the # 5 seed by
one point!! It pays to crush an opponent in the Group Phase = better seeding!
FYI ... EGYPT is reseeded at # 14 at - 84 against Lithuania at + 42 ( Lithuania with Juste Jocyte, who
is having a somewhat mundane tournament. I bet that Juste will be different in this game. Juste
missed a turnaround jumper at one second remaining in Lithuania's 2 point loss to undefeated Japan!
GO JANA !!! I believe the Egypt vs Lithuania game is at 6: 15 AM on Wednesday.

Reaction Score
The Egyptian Head Coach put JANA back in late in the fourth quarter against China and she
responded with that drive to the basketball, the foul, and her making two free throws to
put Egypt up by two with less than a minute to play. Egypt ended up winning by 4.
Nice coaching! and wonderful foul shooting under pressure! GO JANA!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Dan is not correct. Egypt is not eliminated. All teams qualify for the round of 16 (Egypt will play Lithuania) and even teams that lose move on to continue playing in the losers bracket.

Lithuania? Is Juste on the team?

Reaction Score
Finally got to watch the Canada-Egypt game. Not really an equal match, though Jana did make Fournier and the Canada bigs look bad on a few plays. She scored 20 pts in 21 minutes. Syla Swords looked pretty good. I was surprised to see Prosper, who looks smaller and slighter than I remember. Fournier had a poor offensive game but pulled down 15 boards.

Jana impressed even in a losing effort.

Reaction Score
Notice in this video posted by @UConnCat above in the lower left clip Jana rips the ball away from ESPN 10th ranked and Duke commit Toby Fournier. Like taking candy from a baby

She's been battling Edwards for 6 months so she's seen tough, plus I think Juhasz may have taught her how to rip balls like that. I doubt Fournier had that level of competition. I still love Fournier but I'm really liking El Alfy's toughness.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the posting of the schedule/ Competition System. I believe that the re-seeding
is based on the cumulative point spread for the Group Phase games. EG. USA with a point
spread of + 136 ( # one seed) playing against Argentina with a point spread of - 133 ( number 16 seed).
There is, of course, the comment in this post by " Majic Hands " in the explanation of
the Competitive System where GROUPS A and B and C and D are crossed matched, but
the point spread appears consistent to my reconning of the exact reseed. Note both
Japan and Lithuania are + 42 and THe Czech Republic is at + 43. The Czechs get the # 5 seed by
one point!! It pays to crush an opponent in the Group Phase = better seeding!
FYI ... EGYPT is reseeded at # 14 at - 84 against Lithuania at + 42 ( Lithuania with Juste Jocyte, who
is having a somewhat mundane tournament. I bet that Juste will be different in this game. Juste
missed a turnaround jumper at one second remaining in Lithuania's 2 point loss to undefeated Japan!
GO JANA !!! I believe the Egypt vs Lithuania game is at 6: 15 AM on Wednesday.
It is actually a pre-arranged bracket based on the groups. In this round, Group A teams play Group B teams and the same with Groups C and D. Part of this is done so that teams do not have have extra short turnarounds. Groups C and D played early on Tuesday so they will play early on Wednesday. The group crossovers happen in the next round. This format often leads to speculation that teams mess around to avoid the US side of the bracket.

Reaction Score
Even Geno gives freshmen a pass.

My job as a "Fan" is to cheer and hope that these young ladies develop as close to their potential as possible. Leave UConn a lot more prepared for their future whatever they want it to be.

I love your point about your job as a fan.

I just hope fans on here don't get too carried away with Jana in which her effort gets over-exaggerated/picked on. The same thing used to happen with Tina Charles her 1st two years. Fans got extremely way too carried away with Geno's comments. For example, Geno used to make the laughable comment that Tina should average a double-double at halftime. Nor did he give her a pass her frosh year. It was a little bit of a pity that fans hung onto all of Geno's words to such an extreme that it seemed that they never could enjoy her. Her frosh year she was Honorable Mention A/A. Her soph year she was 3rd Team A/A.

I hope the same won't happen with Jana. She’s not going to be Usain Bolt in transition. Nor will Jana be “Bill Russell” on Defense.

In addition, there has to be an understanding that Geno could choose to want to see "perfection." Also, he is huge on "Body Language." Thua, his outlook on expecting perfection and body language and other things similar like expecting a player (Tina) to have a halftime-double-double when you have teammates like Maya, Monty, and Kalana among others falls into a coach doing a portion of his job; which is to try to push player's beyond their limits. Tina had limits and Jana will have limits. As a fan I won't expect perfection or care about body language but as a fan I can enoy the player and the game even without the aforementioned attributes. For Geno, because he is the coach, he can feel disappointed if there is no perfection.- I never have to.

Reaction Score
Watching the Lithuania game live, and Jana hit a beautiful three-quarter court shot to end the 2nd quarter. She launched from the 3 point line on the opposite end. Unfortunately I think it was just after time expired. Still :eek:

Reaction Score
It is actually a pre-arranged bracket based on the groups. In this round, Group A teams play Group B teams and the same with Groups C and D. Part of this is done so that teams do not have have extra short turnarounds. Groups C and D played early on Tuesday so they will play early on Wednesday. The group crossovers happen in the next round. This format often leads to speculation that teams mess around to avoid the US side of the bracket.
Thanks for the clarification! Z

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I listed top 12 this time so you could see some familiar names. To me the exciting stats are the FG%, 3PT% and FT%
I think Jana might be a shooter :cool:

PLAYERS STATISTICS​