Jana - In Madrid - FIBA Games | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Jana - In Madrid - FIBA Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yeah, I had looked up her age and saw she's not even 18 yet. I only caught the second half but it was a dominant performance by Jana. She basically got downhill whenever she wanted. She drove left and finished with the left, she drove right and did the same. She drew fouls inside. She missed 5 shots and I bet 3 of them she got the offensive rebound and scored or got fouled. She called for/wanted the ball every time down the court. It kinda felt like she wouldn't let them lose and that if Egypt is taking the next step in their women's program, this was kind of a game they shouldn't lose. To temper expectations, not sure Chinese Taipei u19 is the best of competition.
I think she worked within the offense well... shared the ball well, set a lot of screens, pick and rolls (though these FIBA players don't seem to hold picks very long), made her layups and she has a very nice outside shot. And she is deadly from the free throw line.

All in all, there is a lot of promise, a lot of talent and drive for the coaches to develop and work their magic.

Reaction Score
FIBA's 7/19/2023 update to top players in tournament. Jana at #10 .... nice evaluation

"The only player other than Buhner not stepping out in the top eight on these last days, just about everything that Elalfy has done in Madrid is praiseworthy. You have to take into account that she has been the subject of intense defensive attention, with regular double teaming, and yet somehow, she is still second in the tournament for efficiency at 21.8 which is mind-blowing.

Her actual production of 23.0 points and 9.8 rebounds is great, but even more so taking into account how smart the forward has been in her play. Best scorer of the competition for the moment."

Reaction Score
Not sure why the negative response to Dezoworld's comment. Doesn't mean that Jana isn't highly skilled in many areas and a welcome addition to the Huskies, but she is running at half speed throughout the tournament. Factual statement, not an opinion. Dezoworld could have been less tactful.
Jana El Afry , vs China this AM, this morning in Madrid Spain, 2023 ==== 38 points!!, 14/ 16 from the foul line!!! and 18 rebounds.
If this is "running at half speed" ..... well ... I'm an empiricist! Well done, Egypt!! Great adjustments at halftime.... another great comeback of the tournament!! NEVER SAY DIE!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
FIBA's 7/19/2023 update to top players in tournament. Jana at #10 .... nice evaluation

"The only player other than Buhner not stepping out in the top eight on these last days, just about everything that Elalfy has done in Madrid is praiseworthy. You have to take into account that she has been the subject of intense defensive attention, with regular double teaming, and yet somehow, she is still second in the tournament for efficiency at 21.8 which is mind-blowing.

Her actual production of 23.0 points and 9.8 rebounds is great, but even more so taking into account how smart the forward has been in her play. Best scorer of the competition for the moment."
Interesting. Fournier is a demon on the boards but her shot-making ability is limited to close to the basket. Jana is the most skilled player in the tournament; she has the ability to score in a variety of ways.

Reaction Score

What is NOT to love about Jana's game?!? ...and to think she will be just turning 18 as the Women's NCAA Basketball season starts [although the UCONN women work year-round on their game, and it will show when it counts...]

Go HUSKIES!!!!!

Reaction Score
You know. She is beginning to remind me more of Delle Donne than Stewie when I watch her. Maybe it's the combination of her movement and scoring with being thicker than Stewie.

I would be interested to see her as the SF in a big line up for a change up few minutes in a UConn game. You could put Edwards and Ice or even a healthy improved Amari in the mix and see what happens.

Reaction Score
Interesting. Fournier is a demon on the boards but her shot-making ability is limited to close to the basket. Jana is the most skilled player in the tournament; she has the ability to score in a variety of ways.
Fournier looks a lot taller than 6'2 to me. She is athletic but I have to agree with her shot needing to develop to be a huge impact at the college level. I will say though she too has stood out in the tournament.

Reaction Score
Clutch too

That is an amazing line for any player. Most teams don't have one player that can go off in a night and score 30 while UCONN has three, maybe four. The best part is she won't have the attention at UCONN that she is getting on that Egypt team this summer by the defenses. I am pleasantly surprised in how well she has played and really led her team.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That is an amazing line for any player. Most teams don't have one player that can go off in a night and score 30 while UCONN has three, maybe four. The best part is she won't have the attention at UCONN that she is getting on that Egypt team this summer by the defenses. I am pleasantly surprised in how well she has played and really led her team.
Somewhere, Geno is grinning from ear to ear over the huge numbers that Jana put up today, just before he tees it up and let’s it fly on the golf course. :)

Reaction Score
I would be interested to see her as the SF in a big line up for a change up few minutes in a UConn game. You could put Edwards and Ice or even a healthy improved Amari in the mix and see what happens.
I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Jana and Amari playing a twin towers set at times this fall. With the attention Jana is bound to receive, Amari would be pretty much free to score -- which she knows how to do.

Also, watching the Taipei game, I am struck by how big and strong Jana is. I mean really strong. Let Andrea work with her in the weight room for a couple months and I think she'll surprise us all with how much stronger she can be than she already is.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I don't get the nitpicking about Jana's game/effort. She's a 17 year old entering her freshman year at UConn and starring on the international stage. I guess some people make comment just so they can seem relevant.
+100 on this. I am shocked that people are having ANYTHING remotely negative to say about her. My goodness - that play where she was running the floor at full speed, grabbed the pass out of the air, did spin move around her defender and laid the ball up - VERY few players her size could make that play now, never mind as a 17 year old just about to turn 18 and enter her freshman season at UCONN. Positively Stewie-like.

Oh, and the clutch FT's to ice the game with 8 seconds left - she made both of them. I'm gonna call it now. By the time she's a junior, she will be an AA, and will be on the short lest for NPOY before all is said and done. This kid is going to be special!

BTW I originally thought Aubrey would be the 5th starter, but I easily could see Jana starting - as a freshman. Her and Ice are going to be a handful for teams to stop.

Reaction Score
I agree. Folks are being picky IMO. She is 17, big, mobile, a scoring machine from anywhere with contact, and can hit free throws under pressure. Come on people. This is a win win. We haven't had a freshman in this type conversation since Stewie (not that I am saying she is as good as a freshman Stewie). Her team may not be good but other teams haven't been able to stop her even when they have the luxury of double and triple teaming her.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

We know that Kitts, Fournier, and Prosper aren’t coming to UConn, but the rest make a nice shopping list for Geno. Let’s get Juste!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

The last I saw, Toby was shooting FTs at under 40%. Is she like Belibi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom