Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Jana tooday:
#PlayersMinPtsFG2Pts3PtsFTOREBDREBREBASTPFTOSTLBLK+/-
8Jana Elalfy36:332811/2445.8%10/1758.8%1/714.3%5/683.3%581311620-1824
One, ONE personal foul in 36 minutes.
Egypt lost to Lithuania 86-64
I don't think that says much since FIBA is a much rougher game than NCAA. They just don't call as much fouls.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I don't think that says much since FIBA is a much rougher game than NCAA. They just don't call as much fouls.
31 fouls called in this game. Just over 1 every 1.25 minutes. Jana played 36 minutes and crashed the boards enough to get 13 rebounds against a superior club. One foul is incredible.
@Carnac gets it!

EDIT: Also she scored 28 points! playing 36 minutes with that much effort she had to create some exhaustion fouls.

Reaction Score
31 fouls called in this game. Just over 1 every 1.25 minutes. Jana played 36 minutes and crashed the boards enough to get 13 rebounds against a superior club. One foul is incredible.
@Carnac gets it!

EDIT: Also she scored 28 points! playing 36 minutes with that much effort she had to create some exhaustion fouls.
I hope you are right..let's see if in the first few games she gets those crazy ticky tack fouls that the internationals don't call....

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
31 fouls called in this game. Just over 1 every 1.25 minutes. Jana played 36 minutes and crashed the boards enough to get 13 rebounds against a superior club. One foul is incredible. Carnac gets it!.

:D

Reaction Score
When you watch a terrible team like Egypt play it is hard to assess a player fairly. On offense the best player is going to have the freedom to do whatever she/he wants to get points. You still have to make shots but you approach the game with the attitude that you are the number 1 option and no miss is going to change that in the coaches mind. Defense is tough when you play with a bunch that doesn't guard anyone. You seem to always be out of position but is that because you don't trust those you play with or just don't know the rotations?

What I have seen of Jana is she has some ability and she knows how to score. When she starts playing with the other UCONN players I will be most interested in how well she adapts to the defense the way UCONN plays. What isn't in question is her drive and ability to work in traffic rebounding and scoring which means she has good, strong hands. I think she might be the best foreign prospect UCONN has had and that is quite the compliment.

Reaction Score
Half time Taipei 47 Egypt 34 China is denying Jana the Ball. She has 9 points
and I believe 5 rebounds. China is killing them at the free throw line, hitting
87.5 % and shooting 14 out of 16! Egypt with 14 turnovers in the first half.!
Time to make some adjustments at Half TIME!! China has two players at
6' 0": #11 and #12, but the appears to be good leapers and ball handlers.
Egypt was ahead at the end of the first quarter 25- 23. then....... China 24 to NINE!!
in quarter # 2. The Chinese Head Coach appears to have scouted Egypt well. Egypt cannot
run their plays easily. Too many fouls for Egypt! GO JANA, ANOTHER COMEBACK like
against the Republic of China??

Reaction Score
When you watch a terrible team like Egypt play it is hard to assess a player fairly. On offense the best player is going to have the freedom to do whatever she/he wants to get points. You still have to make shots but you approach the game with the attitude that you are the number 1 option and no miss is going to change that in the coaches mind. Defense is tough when you play with a bunch that doesn't guard anyone. You seem to always be out of position but is that because you don't trust those you play with or just don't know the rotations?

What I have seen of Jana is she has some ability and she knows how to score. When she starts playing with the other UCONN players I will be most interested in how well she adapts to the defense the way UCONN plays. What isn't in question is her drive and ability to work in traffic rebounding and scoring which means she has good, strong hands. I think she might be the best foreign prospect UCONN has had and that is quite the compliment.
and she is just 17 y/o

Reaction Score
The difference is Stewie hit 95% when the game was on the line.
If “on the line” is akin to a buzzer-beater for the win, Brianna almost certainly never hit one at UConn. On the other hand, if “on the line” references anything from March, then Stewie ranks with the greats.

Reaction Score
nope ... sorry ... not going make this kind of judgement on an incoming freshman. I want to see what she does in a UConn uniform.

These kids are playing at an WNBA pace ... considerably faster than NCAA. And playing with more physicality.
Not sure why the negative response to Dezoworld's comment. Doesn't mean that Jana isn't highly skilled in many areas and a welcome addition to the Huskies, but she is running at half speed throughout the tournament. Factual statement, not an opinion. Dezoworld could have been less tactful.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Good comeback win for Egypt. Jana with a BIG double double. And in keeping with current UConn players she had 7 turnovers again. On the other hand she makes layups. Who does that?
Turnovers are what happens when forwards are handling the ball too much. If Egypt’s guards were better at finding Jana in the paint, Jana would have fewer turnovers

Reaction Score
Not sure why the negative response to Dezoworld's comment. Doesn't mean that Jana isn't highly skilled in many areas and a welcome addition to the Huskies, but she is running at half speed throughout the tournament. Factual statement, not an opinion. Dezoworld could have been less tactful.
not negative just a statement that I prefer to judge Jana based on what she does with UConn. Not sure how I could have been more tactful. I prefer to reserve judgement on her play to actual play at UConn for her UConn coaches.

Jana is a big girl playing a fast and physical game. She is pacing herself well and playing hard. I don't believe Jana is "running at half speed". I suggest the factual statement you reference is in fact an opinion.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
not negative just a statement that I prefer to judge Jana based on what she does with UConn. Not sure how I could have been more tactful. I prefer to reserve judgement on her play to actual play at UConn for her UConn coaches.

Jana is a big girl playing a fast and physical game. She is pacing herself well and playing hard. I don't believe Jana is "running at half speed". I suggest the factual statement you reference is in fact an opinion.
Jana is double- or triple-teamed on every play. A physical defense can wear a post player down and Jana is being asked to carry the load for her team. Plus it seems like she’s playing a lot of games in a short period of time.

When Jana is older and has more strength and endurance, we’ll see a different player. Remember, she won’t be 18 years old until September 5 so she’s still pretty young

Reaction Score
Jana is double- or triple-teamed on every play. A physical defense can wear a post player down and Jana is being asked to carry the load for her team. Plus it seems like she’s playing a lot of games in a short period of time.

When Jana is older and has more strength and endurance, we’ll see a different player. Remember, she won’t be 18 years old until September 5 so she’s still a young player
Yeah, I had looked up her age and saw she's not even 18 yet. I only caught the second half but it was a dominant performance by Jana. She basically got downhill whenever she wanted. She drove left and finished with the left, she drove right and did the same. She drew fouls inside. She missed 5 shots and I bet 3 of them she got the offensive rebound and scored or got fouled. She called for/wanted the ball every time down the court. It kinda felt like she wouldn't let them lose and that if Egypt is taking the next step in their women's program, this was kind of a game they shouldn't lose. To temper expectations, not sure Chinese Taipei u19 is the best of competition.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Here's Jana's line for today. 38 points and took ZERO 3's
#PlayersMinPtsFG2Pts3PtsFTOREBDREBREBASTPFTOSTLBLK+/-
8Jana Elalfy35:193812/1963.2%12/1963.2%0/0-14/1687.5%8101804711542

EDIT:
And she is still the leading individual scorer by 4.2 points per game
#NameGPMPGPPGPTSFGM-FGAFG%3PM-3PA3P%FTM-FTAFT%
1.Jana Elalfy (EGY)‎529.626.01308.6-16.452.41.0-3.231.37.8-8.690.7

Last edited:
Status