Jana back for the tournament? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Jana back for the tournament?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PvP

Reaction Score
Rodgers had a radical procedure that was designed to speed up recovery with an aim towards the playoffs. It is hardly guaranteed and, given Zack Wilson's inept performance, the chances of the Jets making the playoffs makes his choice of procedure immaterial in my opinion.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Will someone tell me if Jana is as talented as Toomey? She looked really good in the tourney she played in before getting hurt.

Reaction Score
Will someone tell me if Jana is as talented as Toomey? She looked really good in the tourney she played in before getting hurt.

I would guess she is more talented than Toomey. BTW, Toomey has had more knee problems at UNC and is not going to play this season. She had also torn her ACL late in her junior year that caused her to miss a good portion of her senior year in HS.

Reaction Score
Jana has serious game. I have compared her skill set to Stewie. Not saying she’ll be another Stewie. But she can handle the ball, shoot it, rebound and play defense.
I have made the same comparison. Good midrange to perimeter shot, good handles, long arms, and willing to grapple with other bigs in the paint. She's probably not as quick as Stewie and not as good an outside shooter. But she looks to be rather stronger. I am very positive about Jana's prospects.

Watching the summer tournament before her injury, she often had to fight through triple teams in the paint to get the ball in the hoop. Awe inspiring!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Jana has serious game. I have compared her skill set to Stewie. Not saying she’ll be another Stewie. But she can handle the ball, shoot it, rebound and play defense.
I thought she was but, I did not know if I was being biased. Thanks, oldude and stamford husky.

Reaction Score
I have made the same comparison. Good midrange to perimeter shot, good handles, long arms, and willing to grapple with other bigs in the paint. She's probably not as quick as Stewie and not as good an outside shooter. But she looks to be rather stronger. I am very positive about Jana's prospects.

Watching the summer tournament before her injury, she often had to fight through triple teams in the paint to get the ball in the hoop. Awe inspiring!
You could see her skills in many of those games, but it was frustrating for me to watch in terms of estimating how she would do here because of the extremely bad guard play on her team. They frankly didn't have a clue how to get her the ball inside, and sometimes it looked more like a pickup game.

Anyway one thing that stood out for me was when she couldn't get the ball because of doubles, or poor guard play she sometimes had to come out to the perimeter to get the ball, and then create on her own. She showed a very nice handle, good burst for a big and the ability to take it to the hoop, all skills that are pretty rare for someone her size.

I wish I was able to see more of her post up ability, but the opponents double teams and her own guards didn't give us enough of a look to make much judgement there , but I expect that will be good. As far as Stewie comparisons the one area I don't think is comparable is shot blocking. By the eye and statistics test I don't think Jana will be is Stewie's league there, but she can still be pretty good at it.

Reaction Score
You could see her skills in many of those games, but it was frustrating for me to watch in terms of estimating how she would do here because of the extremely bad guard play on her team. They frankly didn't have a clue how to get her the ball inside, and sometimes it looked more like a pickup game.

Anyway one thing that stood out for me was when she couldn't get the ball because of doubles, or poor guard play she sometimes had to come out to the perimeter to get the ball, and then create on her own. She showed a very nice handle, good burst for a big and the ability to take it to the hoop, all skills that are pretty rare for someone her size.

I wish I was able to see more of her post up ability, but the opponents double teams and her own guards didn't give us enough of a look to make much judgement there , but I expect that will be good. As far as Stewie comparisons the one area I don't think is comparable is shot blocking. By the eye and statistics test I don't think Jana will be is Stewie's league there, but she can still be pretty good at it.
Yup. That’s how I saw those summer games too. And you’re right about the shot blocking. This may not be Jana’s strength. Also, Stewie could drive like a guard, weaving her way through the lane. Jana’s drives were more direct like Aaliyah’s.

I also suspect the poor guard play on her high school teams is one of the things that led her to develop such good handles. I watched a few of those games and Jana often had to bring the ball up the floor.

Reaction Score
Thread 'Jana El Alfy at 16 says Hello!' Jana El Alfy at 16 says Hello!

The whole question of whether Geno is referring to Jana or (A)Yanna coming back in time for the tournament, seems to hinge on the pronunciation of Jana's name: whether or not the "J" is silent. It is not silent. The link above, originally posted by SVC Beercats, has a YouTube video in which Jana introduces herself by name, pronouncing the "J."

Therefore, Geno has to be referring to Patterson.

Reaction Score
Much as I’d love to see Jana playing sooner, I don’t think there is any way she’s coming back before the tournament or even before next fall. Nor would it be advisable for lots of reasons even if it could be rushed.

Take your time, Jana! The Huskies will be here for you when you’re ready.

Reaction Score
Patterson is already rehabbing and Jana herself said she is out for the season. In light of those facts who cares what Geno said?

Reaction Score
This whole thread seems more like a math problem than a close listening to pronunciation. After saying the names, he says 'if those four players can anchor'. That would be Edwards, ICE, Amari, Patterson. There isn't reference to a 5th, Jana.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
If ever anyone looks for evidence of inane/obsessive posts on the BY, this post is exhibit one. The only reason this post is alive is because of the insecurities over the front court that some posters exhibit and they are clutching at the straw of a miracle healing for the 6'4" Jana. Here are the details to put this to bed. 1) Yanna is Ayanna's nickname give her by her father and carried into her UConn career. 2) Jana has a season ending injury. 3) Yanna can only sound like Jana by emotional projection.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Why are we still going on this? Jana is not coming back this year, now, say that 5 times and 5 times more. Paige said she rushed herself back two years ago and look what happened last year. We want and need her to be completely healed. It would be unlike UConn to put someone in that position, health comes first and giving her an extra half year to rehab is the right thing to do. There, believe that is the correct scenario. Now, Ayanna is the one we need to dwell on, she is the one that is coming back, the sooner the better. But, as I said with Jana, must be completely ready to go health wise.

Reaction Score
If Jana was a senior and she knew she wasnt coming back next year, I could see her pushing it for March. But as a Freshman?? I dont think so....even though we'll definitely need her skillset in March.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
If Jana was a senior and she knew she wasnt coming back next year, I could see her pushing it for March. But as a Freshman?? I dont think so....even though we'll definitely need her skillset in March.
Why is this thread still alive? People must be seriously bored.

Reaction Score
It is dereliction of duty that this thread hasn’t been locked.

Reaction Score
Every time I come to this thread I wonder, what could they possibly still be talking about? And so I find, conveniently and appropriately, that we all are talking about nothing.

Reaction Score
This team is desperate for rebounding and size. Hopefully she is back sooner rather than later.

Reaction Score

6:15 mark, did he just say it’s possible to get Jana back by the time the tournament rolls around??? Maybe he misspoke?

There is no chance. Not with that injury. although if Aaron Rogers can do it ( remains to be seen ) , maybe she can.

Reaction Score
There is no chance. Not with that injury. although if Aaron Rogers can do it ( remains to be seen ) , maybe she can.
Rodgers and Jana are completely apples to oranges since Rodgers had a totally different kind of surgical procedure, designed to hasten his return.

Orc

Reaction Score
Im hoping she makes a complete recovery by then. Uconn needs a lot of help in the post. Can’t win with small ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom