James Madison | Page 4 | The Boneyard

James Madison

Reaction Score
UVA’s total enrollment is 24,360.
JMU’s is 22,667.

I wasn't saying size matters in those realms - I was just indicating that JMU is actually bigger than VA's State U. One could make all kinds of size/quality arguments in both directions... For instance, there are 9 non- State U schools in the current FBS top 25.

Reaction Score
and Notre Dame has an enrollment of 9,000....I don't think enrollment means that much.

Last edited:

TJT

Reaction Score
and Notre Dame has an enrollment of 9,000....I don't think enrollment means that much.

It actually means a lot for a school like JMU that heavily subsidizes its athletics department via fees on students.

Reaction Score
It actually means a lot for a school like JMU that heavily subsidizes its athletics department via fees on students.

True that....BUT...there will be a slight trimming for JMU.

"Old Dominion, Norfolk State and many other state schools will have to depend more on fundraising and ticket sales and less on student fees to fund their athletic budgets under a bill signed into law by Gov. Terry McAuliffe on Sunday night.

The bill, sponsored by Del. Kirk Cox, R-Colonial Heights, sets limits on the percentage of athletic budgets that can be funded through student fees.

The limits on fees vary depending on which level athletic programs compete, and they don't go into effect until July 1, 2016. Universities have five years from that date to meet their goals.

Football Championship Subdivision schools such as Norfolk State and James Madison can fund a maximum of 70 percent of their budgets with student fees, and both NSU and JMU may have to restructure their budgets to meet that standard. According to USA Today, Norfolk State funded 80 percent of its athletic budget and JMU 79 percent through student fees.

VMI ($1,702) and William and Mary ($1,665) charge more in student athletic fees per year than NSU ($1,545), ODU ($1,429) and JMU ($1,331). Virginia Tech ($282) charges the least."

Reaction Score
"The law also requires state schools that want to add a major sport such as football, or seek to play at a higher NCAA level, receive approval from Intercollegiate Athletics Review Commission.

JMU has been contemplating a move into FBS. If the school decides to move up prior to July 1, 2016, it would not need approval from the commission. Any decision made after that date would need commission approval."

Reaction Score
"The law also requires state schools that want to add a major sport such as football, or seek to play at a higher NCAA level, receive approval from Intercollegiate Athletics Review Commission.

JMU has been contemplating a move into FBS. If the school decides to move up prior to July 1, 2016, it would not need approval from the commission. Any decision made after that date would need commission approval."

Reaction Score

Yes...exactly...article was from before that witching hour...and, now, JMU would need the Commission's approval.

Reaction Score
Dead issue for now...

James Madison has FBS look, but staying put at FCS level for...

>>JMU athletic director Jeff Bourne gets a look on his face like he's been asked about FBS a million times. That's because Bourne estimates he's been asked about the Dukes moving to FBS about a million times.

"The response to that hasn't changed," Bourne said. "We will look at options that are beneficial to us and meet the criteria for us to be successful. Right now, I don't see an option like that."<<

>>If the AAC called, "I think we'd probably give them a call back," Bourne said.<<

Reaction Score
Dead issue for now...

James Madison has FBS look, but staying put at FCS level for...

>>JMU athletic director Jeff Bourne gets a look on his face like he's been asked about FBS a million times. That's because Bourne estimates he's been asked about the Dukes moving to FBS about a million times.

"The response to that hasn't changed," Bourne said. "We will look at options that are beneficial to us and meet the criteria for us to be successful. Right now, I don't see an option like that."<<

>>If the AAC called, "I think we'd probably give them a call back," Bourne said.<<
Wow. Translation is Sun Belt or Conference USA are non starters but AAC they'll listen?

Reaction Score
J Christ... if this s even a conversation starter were beyond what we could ever imagine on this board!!

Reaction Score

This overdramatizing of our football is really tiring. We've fallen apart over 2 freaking coaches who still produced some results, only to have the second really screw up recuriting. Thus, the epic beatdown last season.

The players seem excited to prove people wrong.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

This overdramatizing of our football is really tiring. We've fallen apart over 2 freaking coaches who still produced some results, only to have the second really screw up recuriting. Thus, the epic beatdown last season.

The players seem excited to prove people wrong.

I would not sweat the opinion of the guy who writes for a North Dakota blog.

Reaction Score
Posted that for the tweet about JMU. His opinion is secondary. Just posting as I found it.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Nothing really new here — the article mostly rehashes old statements in this new context.

JMU is fun to watch because they have to appear to be committed to the CAA while showing just enough skin to keep C-USA interested.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom