James Madison | Page 3 | The Boneyard

James Madison

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
James Madison is barely a mid-major in basketball and they're not even that in football.

Not sure how being located on an interstate will help them unless you're suggesting they install a toll booth to help pay for their athletic department.

Reaction Score
Have been to George Mason? They would have to build structures off campus in order to do anything at all. It's really squashed with old houses around the campus. I almost rented a house down there a few years back.

James Madison however...it is a beautiful campus with plenty of room to grow and it is right on an interstate. IMO its smart to invest in JMU...long history, can recruit players to the area and the campus is pretty darn amazing.

81 is a pretty lame interstate.

Harrisonburg is like a 1 KMart, 1 Outback Steakhouse and 1 Chili’s kind of town. I used to go there once a month because there is a spot outside of town that is pretty awesome for fly fishing,

Harrisonburg is sadder than a Tracy Chapman single. Just let it go.

Take a look at Montana’s stadium, or UNI’s. JMU and those schools have outstanding FCS programs, and that’s great. But they don’t have much room for growth beyond that.

Reaction Score
Interesting overall; but, where is all of the money going to come from? Virginia already has a pair of P5 schools in UVA nad V-Tech along with a public Ivy in good old W&M while it looks like they are investing heavily in both JMU and Old Dominion, plus I know that they have aspirations for George Mason due to its location inside the beltway.

From my knowledge of the situation, JMU has been and continues to be on the radar of VA state government and it is getting a lot of investment; as much as any of the numerous state schools in VA. George Mason is basically a physically-constrained commuter school (not looking down my nose at its growing academic reputation).

That said, I don't think JMU is leaning in on a FB stadium expansion plan any time soon. That would be tied to a FBS conf invite.

Harrisonburg is no major metropolis, but it is driving some surrounding commercial growth. Stating the obvious - it is bigger than Mansfield and smaller than Hartford.

Hopefully, I provided a little more perspective. :)

Reaction Score
JMU is probably better positioned than UConn was pre Big East era. JMU football is already G5 competitive and it has great facilities that are planned for a FBS move and expansion.

UConn grew up with the Big East formation and then the hiring of JC. Accepting the football invite was critical.

JMU has untapped potential.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
JMU is probably better positioned than UConn was pre Big East era. JMU football is already G5 competitive and it has great facilities that are planned for a FBS move and expansion.

UConn grew up with the Big East formation and then the hiring of JC. Accepting the football invite was critical.

JMU has untapped potential.

Can you just go away?

You don't add anything.

Virginia has two large state universities playing FBS football - James Madison doesn't have any potential to grow beyond what it is.

Reaction Score
Can you just go away?

You don't add anything.
finish him.gif

Reaction Score
Can you just go away?

You don't add anything.

Virginia has two large state universities playing FBS football - James Madison doesn't have any potential to grow beyond what it is.
To be accurate, JMU has a larger enrollment than UVA.

Reaction Score
So what?[/QUOTE
Well, your words imply that JMU is small/has no potential, but the reality is that it is now bigger than one of the two other VA P5 schools and is growing faster than UVA . To say JMU doesn't have any potential to grow beyond what it is, seems to show you have some sort of bias against it or ignorance about it. Did you think back in the early 80's that UConn had no potential to become a basketball power and an FBS program that could reach a big bowl game? One can easily argue that JMU is better positioned now than UConn was in 1983.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
My words didn’t imply anything. They were pretty clear.

One can ‘very easy argue’ anything, but the argument is still a pure dog. James Madison has no potential for the very reason why UConn did.

UConn was the state university of Connecticut - as Jim Calhoun used to say, you want to be the university of something.

James Madison is nothing. It’s not the University of the Virginia, it’s not the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.

There’s no oxygen left for James Madison - no one will ever care.

Reaction Score
My words didn’t imply anything. They were pretty clear.

One can ‘very easy argue’ anything, but the argument is still a pure dog. James Madison has no potential for the very reason why UConn did.

UConn was the state university of Connecticut - as Jim Calhoun used to say, you want to be the university of something.

James Madison is nothing. It’s not the University of the Virginia, it’s not the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.

There’s no oxygen left for James Madison - no one will ever care.
Your reply proves my point even more.

Reaction Score
James Madison is the next Duke of football...just wait.

Duke is, right now, up at Northwestern, kicking their butt 21-7....Duke's defense held Northwestern scoreless for the final 54 minutes...JMU could wish worse.

Reaction Score
Duke is, right now, up at Northwestern, kicking their butt 21-7....Duke's defense held Northwestern scoreless for the final 54 minutes...JMU could wish worse.

This is really not the time to look down on other programs, ones that are rated higher than your own. Especially programs like JMU that have the disadvantage in recruiting, number of scholarships, etc.

If the AAC thing doesn’t work out (and it still might) then having JMU as one of your football peers at FBS Indy might be a viable path.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
This is really not the time to look down on other programs, ones that are rated higher than your own. Especially programs like JMU that have the disadvantage in recruiting, number of scholarships, etc.

If the AAC thing doesn’t work out (and it still might) then having JMU as one of your football peers at FBS Indy might be a viable path.
He’s a FSU fan standing for the acc.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
JMU beat Norfolk St. 17-0 yesterday. Game was called early in the second quarter.

Reaction Score
To be accurate, JMU has a larger enrollment than UVA.
And, Georgia State has among the nation's top 10 largest student enrollments. It's still not becoming Bama nor even Clemson or Georgia in football let alone Yale or Harvard academically nor even neighbor Georgia Tech in gridiron or academics.

Reaction Score
And, Georgia State has among the nation's top 10 largest student enrollments. It's still not becoming Bama nor even Clemson or Georgia in football let alone Yale or Harvard academically nor even neighbor Georgia Tech in gridiron or academics.
I wasn't saying size matters in those realms - I was just indicating that JMU is actually bigger than VA's State U. One could make all kinds of size/quality arguments in both directions... For instance, there are 9 non- State U schools in the current FBS top 25.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
JMU beat Robert Morris 73-7 on Thursday night. Almost 700 total yards, jumped out 66-0 before Bobby Mo scored...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom