James Bouknight - Ring Of Honor? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

James Bouknight - Ring Of Honor?

If James Bouknight leaves after this year without a NC, should he be in the Ring of Honor?

• Yes

Votes: 14 6.7%
  • No

Votes: 196 94.2%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Bouknight has been my favorite Husky to watch, ever, and is one of my two favorites of all time along with Ryan Boatright.

That said I don't think he's worthy of the ring of honor simply because he didn't play that many games and hasn't achieved anything of note yet.

Dutch Boyd

A fine place to live
Reaction Score
JFC, can we get Ben Gordon in there first before this silly conversation. Go back and watch all the BET games and tournament games and see how many big shots he hit down the stretch. It's laughable he isn't up there yet!

Reaction Score
Maybe it’s already been said-but as much as I like Bouknight’s game and as talented as he is, he’s not ready to be mentioned in the same sentence as Kemba and Shabazz-YET. He’s never played a full season at UConn and only has 2 post season games under his belt. Last night he tried too hard to be “the man” and I can only imagine what kind of pressure he’s putting on himself to catapult this team to then next level. Let James be James and let’s enjoy watching him for whatever time he has left in Uconn blue.

Reaction Score
Good God. No. No more than Drummond. You don’t get that kind of honor because you come here and are a high NBA draft pick without having contributed something important.

On the other hand, we shouldn’t be beating Bouknight up for last night either. The odds are he wasn’t near 100% physically. And please — he went 7-8 from the line or something like that. People miss free throws. Even great players sometimes miss free throws at awful times. See, e.g., Marshall, Donyell.

Reaction Score
You are right, it doesn't take a single person to deliver the NC. It's a team game but it's a point of discussion. What about the Elite Eight? Caron didn't deliver, Rudy didn't deliver and neither did Ray. They are on the Ring of Honor. There are many on there without rings. It's objective is it not? James has already made a profound impact on the program by taking it from where it was and where it is in just two years.
Caron almost won that game for us. He was a man among boys.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
If he comes back next year and leads us to a Big East regular season and tournament title and at least to the elite 8 then yes.

Reaction Score
No where near this honor.
1) Not enough games played
2) Very inconsistent shooter
3) Seems to fall down a lot

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Is he bringing back a Natty?

Reaction Score
Guys have to rise up and sometimes a little bit of luck helps. Granted Bouknight is not 100% right now and has a shortened two year history, but I say, come on back! Make your mark! Win some titles!!

Ray was a no-doubter. Just to offer balance, from the recent posts regarding UConn vs. Georgetown.

"NEW YORK, March 9 -- Ray Allen hit an off-balance, running jumper with 13.6 seconds to play Saturday night, giving No. 3 Connecticut the championship of the Big East Tournament with an improbable 75-74 win over No. 6 Georgetown. Allen took a pass from Ricky Moore to the right of the free-throw line, went up and initially looked as through he was going to pass. But he turned toward the basket in midair and launched a flat shot that found the mark. It was the only basket of the second half for Allen, who had missed his previous 14 field-goal attempts against a smothering Georgetown defense. He finished with 17 points on 5-for-20 shooting."

Reaction Score
Second team. Probably close to Bouk what have been this year with a full year
Ok, cool, but he won't be an All-American. Rudy was also freshman of the year in the conference, not that is means much, but it is better than not being it.

You can debate whether Rudy belongs and I would say he doesn't, but as of right now he is much more deserving than Bouk.

Reaction Score
You are right, it doesn't take a single person to deliver the NC. It's a team game but it's a point of discussion. What about the Elite Eight? Caron didn't deliver, Rudy didn't deliver and neither did Ray. They are on the Ring of Honor. There are many on there without rings. It's objective is it not? James has already made a profound impact on the program by taking it from where it was and where it is in just two years.
Wow and You people consider Uconn a blue blood? Where is the program now? When he brings them any kind of championship then it’s an accomplishment! Beating the Depauls of the world doesnt impress me! It’s embarassing this conversation is taking place!

Reaction Score
He took us from a very dark place and has some accolades to his name. If he leaves with a NC, he's getting in. If he falls short in the Elite 8 or better, he will have a better chance.

He's not close to 1000 points yet either in between the shutdown and injuries.

Where is his place among the other greats?
Hes a big talent that unfortunately came to Uconn during a very tough time.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Is this for real?
Ben Gordon, T Brown, K Free, J Lamb, Boat not in and Bouk isn't even in the same building as those guys
The kid has potential but hasn't proven much beyond that - I don't understand the "taking UConn out of the Dark Ages" - that honor belongs to the NBE invitation
CV is more deserving based on overall numbers

Reaction Score
Of course. Same class as Alex Oriakhi. There were a few guys who got in when there was too much enthusiasm and the standards weren’t exactly enforced. Rudy Gay is example 1. Bouknight is a good player but wasn’t inspriring early last year and missed 8 games this year. But seriously?

Reaction Score
No. With the way they are playing, it would be hard to put him in without putting Cole in. They are equally valuable at this point. Bouk just isn’t at that level yet.

Reaction Score
No. With the way they are playing, it would be hard to put him in without putting Cole in. They are equally valuable at this point. Bouk just isn’t at that level yet.

Okay, then I think the question has to be asked: RJ Cole for the Huskies of Honor?

Reaction Score
The season is not over so maybe this will become more clear with the games yet to be played since James is leaving after this season. If he stayed for another season he most likely would be a lock. He has brought a lot of fun back to being a Husky fan. His teams have won nothing yet. He struggles in close games to hit shots that win the game. He has holes in his game like when he tries to drive but has the ball too far away from his body and falls down on his can. He needs to hit more pullup midrange shots and he needs to really improve on 3's. If we had a wall for potentially great Huskies he is a lock for that one.

Reaction Score
Just to put it out there, who is more worthy Bouknight or Whaley? Whaley was there for 4 years and worked hard and let himself be coached into becoming a pretty darn good player. I'm not saying I'd put up either. Jerome Dyson still did more in his career than either of them.

The next to go in the rafters should be Vital. He stuck with the program when many bailed and the main part of bridge from the disaster of Ollie's final years and Hurley starting the rebuild. Hated that his career came to such an abrupt end (stupid covid. JA is in the mix for me, too. I bet Calhoun would loved have the late SR up there.

I agree Ben should be up there, but he has other things he needs to overcome which in the grand scheme of things make the ring of honor something that really isn't important for him. I hope he gets right and stays right for a while. It could make joining the ring of honor someday even more special.

Reaction Score
Just to put it out there, who is more worthy Bouknight or Whaley? Whaley was there for 4 years and worked hard and let himself be coached into becoming a pretty darn good player. I'm not saying I'd put up either. Jerome Dyson still did more in his career than either of them.

The next to go in the rafters should be Vital. He stuck with the program when many bailed and the main part of bridge from the disaster of Ollie's final years and Hurley starting the rebuild. Hated that his career came to such an abrupt end (stupid covid. JA is in the mix for me, too. I bet Calhoun would loved have the late SR up there.

I agree Ben should be up there, but he has other things he needs to overcome which in the grand scheme of things make the ring of honor something that really isn't important for him. I hope he gets right and stays right for a while. It could make joining the ring of honor someday even more special.
Yes on Ben. His battle is way more important than award.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This isn't serious, correct? Olander would get one first.
Well oleander got two “rings of honor” if I remember correctly. How many did Jim Boeheim get again?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom