James Bouknight interviews | Page 2 | The Boneyard

James Bouknight interviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This is all so simple. You're 20 years old and someone comes up to you and says "I think you have potential and based on that I want to offer you a job. The pay is between $4 and $6 million for two years work, and if you work out, then there will be significant raises in the future. It doesn't require you to do anything illegal or put you in mortal danger. It requires a lot of domestic travel, but the company will make all the arrangements and pay for everything. Do you want it ?"

The only correct answer is "Yes". Then after accepting you ask then what exactly the job entails. The guy says your job will be to play basketball. At that point you start laughing. And you never stop.

Not so simple.
It's a bird in the hand vs two in the bush game strategy.

There's something to be said to day the immediate money for a year. You receive minimal benefits but incur no costs and have to potential to take the $4-$6 million in to a higher pay scale that pays off before first contract ends.

Put me in the category of he should go based on current trends of getting out of college and in to pro leagues ASAP.

Also put me in category of believing another year of college would do him good and make him a better pro.

Reaction Score
If this was 15-20 or even 10 years ago there would have been a more compelling case for him to stay. But the times have changed in terms of rookie salaries, developmental leagues and how the NBA is drafting. It's the right decision to make for him and his family.

I hope he leaves in good standing and comes back to finish his degree. As long as Emmert is at the helm, he'll find a way to punish our program.

In the future with the pandemic hopefully coming to an end, the alumni can get together in the summer and get some of the younger players a run or two.

Reaction Score
You already broke your promise.

Hard to think of a poster who has consistently dunked on himself as much as Chief over the last few months.
You are not good at reading comprehension, but you talking about dunking does make Chief laugh.

98Uconn

NL1MF
Reaction Score
This isn't rocket science... a bagful of $$$ now and a chance to live your dream while learning on the job at a high level vs staying in school and risking the bagful of $$$ next year (injury etc..).

You take the money and start living the dream.

Reaction Score
If this was 15-20 or even 10 years ago there would have been a more compelling case for him to stay. But the times have changed in terms of rookie salaries, developmental leagues and how the NBA is drafting. It's the right decision to make for him and his family.

I hope he leaves in good standing and comes back to finish his degree. As long as Emmert is at the helm, he'll find a way to punish our program.

In the future with the pandemic hopefully coming to an end, the alumni can get together in the summer and get some of the younger players a run or two.
Just what everyone dreams of - the NBA D league.

Reaction Score
This isn't rocket science... a bagful of $$$ now and a chance to live your dream while learning on the job at a high level vs staying in school and risking the bagful of $$$ next year (injury etc..).

You take the money and start living the dream.
Again, there is injury insurance for first round talent who stay in school.

98Uconn

NL1MF
Reaction Score
...but if it's career ending you live your life with the what if.... I could have gone to the NBA... you take the $$$ and live your dream... it's not that it's an easy decision.. but it makes the most sense

Reaction Score
Didn’t you say the post before this one would be the last one about Bouk?
I think it’s a no brainer for him to go to the NBA- if he ever had another injury plagued season at UConn your probably talking about a late first round or second round pick next year. The buzz is hot on him now- with that said- the worst thing you can do is risk that- we’ve seen it with so many guys....

Reaction Score
In Bouknight’s case the injuries are more symptoms than an underlying cause. It’s really more about commitment to strength and conditioning. The strength coach is trying to make him understand these things can’t be called out the week before a big game but rather it must be part of his long term daily grind that Chief talks about.

Reaction Score
In Bouknight’s case the injuries are more symptoms than an underlying cause. It’s really about strength and conditioning. The strength coach is trying to make him understand these things can’t be called out the week before a big game but rather it must be part of his long term daily grind that Chief talks about.

You said last post maybe 10 posts ago.

Reaction Score
I think it’s a no brainer for him to go to the NBA- if he ever had another injury plagued season at UConn your probably talking about a late first round or second round pick next year. The buzz is hot on him now- with that said- the worst thing you can do is risk that- we’ve seen it with so many guys....
You said last post maybe 10 posts ago.
Sounds like someone who is losing the discussion on merit.

Reaction Score

The D league dreams are from 5 years ago. It's the G league now.

How can we fault the kid? He has been dreaming about this opportunity since he was a kid and he'll be getting paid to do it. He'll get to work on his game in a professional setting and go against players on his skill level or better. Most of us all agree he wasn't a finished product but there was little to be gained from staying in school and working on his game part time as a student athlete.

Reaction Score
Who are you trying to respond to? You quote two different people on this post. An easy mistake for a casual fan to make - Quite frankly, not everyone has the tech skills to post with the best on the yard.

Reaction Score
So at this pint injury insurance is roughly 10K per million in coverage-so If his risk as a lottery pick is 10 million, that is a 100K premium. Let's be real, who is going to pay for that.

Reaction Score
So at this pint injury insurance is roughly 10K per million in coverage-so If his risk as a lottery pick is 10 million, that is a 100K premium. Let's be real, who is going to pay for that.
You get a loan, pay interest on the loan, to pay a premium, to get the injury insurance, so that you can choose to NOT make $15 million and instead play basketball for free for another year with the slight chance of making $18 million but also a pretty good chance of making $12 million.

Reaction Score
You get a loan, pay interest on the loan, to pay a premium, to get the injury insurance, so that you can choose to NOT make $15 million and instead play basketball for free for another year with the slight chance of making $18 million but also a pretty good chance of making $12 million.
Right-some times someone just HAS to be right. And wedisagree, because we are just "casual fans". I have been spending money on Uconn, since before many of these posters were born.

Reaction Score
It doesn’t matter what I think (and I won’t post anymore about that) or what you think.

One thing I know is Bouknight doesn’t want to leave, even as recent as hours after his announcement. Others want him to leave for their own reasons or because they think that’s what’s best for him.

@BigErnMcCracken - So when you put yourself up on a pedestal and pretend you are supporting what he wants for himself, it just shows how detached from reality you are and how you define the popular phrase that Chief coined “Casual Fan”.
So you coined the term-funny the term made it all the way to the Urban Dictionary. Could not see anyreference to you.

Reaction Score
You lost the discussion 2 months ago when you accused Bouknight of sitting out with his own personal agenda. I have no idea why anyone has taken you seriously since
Yes basically challenged his integrity...NOW he is his friend.

Reaction Score

alright guy usually I just _____ around with you because I think you’re entertaining but here it is: you’re full of _____.

I know we have to treat you with kid gloves because you’ll get your feelings hurt and throw a tantrum and take your ball and go home but there it is. Your desperation to be right about everything, or to make people think you have some kind of inside information, is pathetic. You think normal people communicate with people they actually know through an internet message board? You think that doesn’t make you seem ridiculous?

No one has been as consistently wrong (about a variety of things) over the last few months as you have been. On all kinds of topics (beyond basketball) most of which you’ll never acknowledge. As far as I know you have never once been capable of a rational back and forth with someone.

you think it doesn’t sound absurd when you say you “had James’s back” and your evidence is a post where you said “the dude is good”? Get out of here.

he will get access to better nutrition, coaching, and strength and conditioning at the pro level than he would in college. He is going to sign a guaranteed contract. The fact that he said in the immediate aftermath of a bad tournament loss that he didn’t want to leave means nothing. If he didn’t think leaving was the best decision he wouldn’t leave. Period. Caron wept at his press conference. It was still the right decision.

hate to deviate from my “Chief is a clown, treat him as such,” but when your delusions lead you to say you’re winning an argument on the merits when you are 1000% in the wrong and just spouting your usual nonsense I feel compelled to respond. Wish him well and move on (he’s not your friend anyway).

and while we’re at it: you were never prevented from posting about the Ollie situation because you were under a “gag order.” Everyone with a quarter of a brain laughed at that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
he will get access to better nutrition, coaching, and strength and conditioning at the pro level than he would in college.
I present sophomore Jeremy Lamb and rookie season Jeremy Lamb as exhibit A.

1617417408346.jpeg
1617417374569.jpeg

Reaction Score
The G League used to be perg. Now there are players actually developing there & having successful careers making lots of money. While not the dream, it’s not what it was 10 years ago either

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom