James Akinjo highlights | Page 2 | The Boneyard

James Akinjo highlights

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Can't wait for him to get on campus and on the court. Lots to be excited about with him...

Reaction Score
Does anyone have a mix tape of him in an empty gym driving past chairs and dunking, preferably in slo-mo? Until I see that, I can’t get excited.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I think everyone "wants" Akinjo to play at UConn next year......the problem is that the UConn MBB has some hurdles to navigate in the coming months that prevents me from having any certainty about the roster composition for 2018-2019.
If everyone wants him to come here, then what's the value in a comment that exclusively focuses on doubt. You, at least, acknowledge both what you want and some concerns you have. And, you lead with the aspiration prior to expressing some realities and the impact they have on you. How is that not both preferable and superior to the solely negative or questioning slant that some offer?
It was nice video. If you'd like him to come to Connecticut, let others know, including friends, family, other recruits, and James himself.
Is there ANY good reason not to?

Reaction Score
He's going to be a really nice college point guard and almost any school would be fortunate to have him on their team.

Reaction Score
We need Akinjo this yr, he hits open shots, does not turn the ball over and plays tenacious defense. He will be great under Ollie, despite what some people here said. The only guard that transfer is Terrance Samuel. Terrance openly regret the decision and wanted to come back this yr. The coaching under Ollie is a lot better then Penn St. I see Akinjo as all-conference by his sophomore yr and all american by his senior yr

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
There was article recently that said he's grown coupe inches since summer and is a legit 6' 1. Pretty sure someone here posted picture standing next to him after game about month ago and confirmed he was at least 6'

There was article recently that said he's grown coupe inches since summer and is a legit 6' 1. Pretty sure someone here posted picture standing next to him after game about month ago and confirmed he was at least 6'

Here it is. I'm 6'4.5, Coach is 6'2" or 6'3" and Akinjo is not too far behind Coach Moore. By the way, Akinjo has his team as the #1 ranked team in the Bay Area last I checked.

171219_075831_7-jpeg.27035

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Hope he is as interested in Defense.

"I take it really personal on defense,” Akinjo said in an interview with The Courant this week. “Defense, you’ve got to play with a lot of pride. It’s good scoring 30, 40 points, but the whole emphasis is about team and I take a lot of pride in my defense.”
"We emphasize defense, we’re pretty much in your face the whole game.”
"I can come in and add my scoring and my defensive ability as well, my toughness and my defense. I feel I can fit in really well.”

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Here it is. I'm 6'4.5, Coach is 6'2" or 6'3" and Akinjo is not too far behind Coach Moore. By the way, Akinjo has his team as the #1 ranked team in the Bay Area last I checked.

171219_075831_7-jpeg.27035

You're right, he's as least 6'. That's good work.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
UCONN, but it's not my call.
Yeah true, but why *lead* with the pessimistic take if it's not what you desire. Who does that benefit and how? If I'd like James Akinjo to come to UConn and you'd like James Akinjo to come to UConn, so why waste bandwidth and energy sorting that out, having people wondering, promoting confusion...all for a 'too clever' Eyore-like comment that detracts from enthusiasm when nothing in the video really warrants it?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Yeah true, but why *lead* with the pessimistic take if it's not what you desire. Who does that benefit and how? If I'd like James Akinjo to come to UConn and you'd like James Akinjo to come to UConn, so why waste bandwidth and energy sorting that out, having people wondering, promoting confusion...all for a 'too clever' Eyore-like comment that detracts from enthusiasm when nothing in the video really warrants it?

It's gallows humor. Nobody's confused by that comment. One of the few ways to deal with the sh$tstorm we don't ever seem to get away from. If a couple of people get a chuckle out of it, then great.

And the fact remains, we don't actually know if he's coming yet. It will likely hinge on who ends up coaching the team next year, whether it's Ollie or someone else. So it's instructive to keep in mind that possibility. From his comments this kid seems to be wedded and connected to Ollie.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
It's gallows humor. Nobody's confused by that comment. One of the few ways to deal with the sh$tstorm we don't ever seem to get away from. If a couple of people get a chuckle out of it, then great.
Nobody who's Boneyard savvy is confused. And some chuckle. But even among Boneyard regulars, some find the taste sour. And outsiders could be confused or just think it's crappy attitude from a fan base more interested in cheap laughs than an impressive prospect. Haters and media amplify the bad mojo, and it's a self-reinforcing negative loop.
You get credit for the first snarky joke. Seems clear at this point that you find the distinction worth it and I don't.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
You get credit for the first snarky joke. Seems clear at this point that you find the distinction worth it and I don't.

Not looking for credit for anything actually. Ultimately the board is for entertainment purposes. And I enjoy humor. That's pretty much it. If people want to treat this deadly seriously, that's their right, but I prefer to take a lighter tack.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
He would start from day one if Gilbert doesn't come back and might start even if he is here. What this team needs, well along with a few other things, like a three-point shooter.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Not looking for credit for anything actually. Ultimately the board is for entertainment purposes. And I enjoy humor. That's pretty much it. If people want to treat this deadly seriously, that's their right, but I prefer to take a lighter tack.

I did not mention this earlier, but upon meeting Coach Moore I mentioned the boneyard. His reply from what I recall was, I stay away from that place. My interpretation of his response, b/c he said nothing else regarding BY, was I stay the hell away from that place. Had to laugh.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I did not mention this earlier, but upon meeting Coach Moore I mentioned the boneyard. His reply from what I recall was, I stay away from that place. My interpretation of his response, b/c he said nothing else regarding BY, was I stay the hell away from that place. Had to laugh.

hahaha Good story...and good call by Coach. Honestly, I should probably stay away too, for my own sanity. But I'm a fan. What're you gonna do?

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I think this kid is going to be a very good college player. I think he has just what we need - good shooter, great ball handler and good distributor. Plus he has a passion for the game and displays it on the court. I hope KO is back next year with his full complement of players and proves all of the naysayers wrong. What we have seen in recent games is promising. We are seeing more team play. We are seeing much better defense and we are seeing player development. Maybe just maybe KO can coach. Maybe what we witnessed was a young team with only two players back from last year that had a lot of learning and growing to do. Maybe the freshmen had to adjust to the college game. But impatient fans grew more impatient with every bad loss and started calling for KO's head. They threw out innuendos with no specifics. They said he couldn't recruit. They said he couldn't develop players. They said he was a terrible game coach. A few called him a bum. There were calls to fire him mid-season and if not, he had to go at the end of the season. To Kevin's credit, he dealt with all the adversity by keeping his focus on the team and controlling what he can control. We're seeing progress. The freshman are contributing. The offense is looking better and the team is competing. There is a long way to go but there is reason for hope. If Adams comes back and AG's second surgery is successful and with Akinjo and Vital, the backcourt could be both strong and deep. The other three recruits look like they could be strong additions as well. For the first time in quite a while we could have a balanced and deep team with a really good backcourt, a decent frontcourt and even some shooters. I realize none of this is a given at this point, but there is reason for hope. I for one, am rooting for KO and hope we continue to see the improvement we have seen recently and that he is our coach next year.
Could not like this post enough!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom