James Akinjo highlights | The Boneyard

James Akinjo highlights

Reaction Score
This is not me trying to compare or hype anyone up, but he reminds me of Chris Paul, the way he plays. Not an explosive athlete or someone who attacks the rim at will, but incredibly smart and a great decision maker, plus as it seems a knockdown shooter. Hopefully it is carries on.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Those highlights were honestly kinda average. Looks to have nice handles, maybe can shoot a little. But he couldn't get passed a lot of those kids after a bunch of dribble moves. Couple nice passes here and there though.

Reaction Score
Those highlights were honestly kinda average. Looks to have nice handles, maybe can shoot a little. But he couldn't get passed a lot of those kids after a bunch of dribble moves. Couple nice passes here and there though.

Next great UConn point guard!

Reaction Score

Not sure what you were watching he easily was able to get past any of them 1 on 1 always getting to his spots unless doubled on top of the zone. Not saying he's unguardable just had an easy time vs this team. Impressive player seems to be under control with good vision.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
This comment is truly sorta unhelpful if you're a fan and want good recruits like this one who demonstrated dribble penetration, court sense, sharp passing, drawing fouls, and making shots all within a single game.
At best, you add nothing positive when commenting like this.

Reaction Score
I like what I saw. Didn't really take any bad shots. Created layups for the big men! Got teammates open shots. Kept the ball moving and got open 3s from others. And was able to get open shots that he created for himself. He loves that behind the back crossover and he is good at it. I don't see what's not to like.

Reaction Score
I think this kid is going to be a very good college player. I think he has just what we need - good shooter, great ball handler and good distributor. Plus he has a passion for the game and displays it on the court. I hope KO is back next year with his full complement of players and proves all of the naysayers wrong. What we have seen in recent games is promising. We are seeing more team play. We are seeing much better defense and we are seeing player development. Maybe just maybe KO can coach. Maybe what we witnessed was a young team with only two players back from last year that had a lot of learning and growing to do. Maybe the freshmen had to adjust to the college game. But impatient fans grew more impatient with every bad loss and started calling for KO's head. They threw out innuendos with no specifics. They said he couldn't recruit. They said he couldn't develop players. They said he was a terrible game coach. A few called him a bum. There were calls to fire him mid-season and if not, he had to go at the end of the season. To Kevin's credit, he dealt with all the adversity by keeping his focus on the team and controlling what he can control. We're seeing progress. The freshman are contributing. The offense is looking better and the team is competing. There is a long way to go but there is reason for hope. If Adams comes back and AG's second surgery is successful and with Akinjo and Vital, the backcourt could be both strong and deep. The other three recruits look like they could be strong additions as well. For the first time in quite a while we could have a balanced and deep team with a really good backcourt, a decent frontcourt and even some shooters. I realize none of this is a given at this point, but there is reason for hope. I for one, am rooting for KO and hope we continue to see the improvement we have seen recently and that he is our coach next year.

Reaction Score
Good highlights. Well rounded point guard game. Does everything you want to see a 1Guard do, and he does it well.
To repeat what a couple of other posters stated, he plays under control and makes good decisions. HUGE!! At the elite high school level the game has slowed down for him, and he makes it look easy.

Reaction Score
Is California 6'1 the same as CT 6'1....

There was article recently that said he's grown coupe inches since summer and is a legit 6' 1. Pretty sure someone here posted picture standing next to him after game about month ago and confirmed he was at least 6'

Reaction Score
Shoots like Taliek Brown.

More like Kemba's college shot, from the top of the forehead. Taliek Brown used to shoot the ball like a catapult, from way behind his head and to the side slightly.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
His form isn’t bad at all ... what video did people just watch?!?!
From the 6 highlight videos I’ve seen, he needs to plant his feet before he shoots and his release is a little mechanical and low.

If it works for him great, just making a point.

pj

Reaction Score

They looked to have a two-distributor type of team similar to what Ollie wants here. He looks like a great fit for Ollie.

Reaction Score
Where would you like him to play next year?
I think everyone "wants" Akinjo to play at UConn next year...........the problem is that the UConn MBB has some hurdles to navigate in the coming months that prevents me from having any certainty about the roster composition for 2018-2019.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
From the 6 highlight videos I’ve seen, he needs to plant his feet before he shoots and his release is a little mechanical and low.

If it works for him great, just making a point.

It’s not perfect, and the release point being a bit low is the one thing I could really point at, but overall I just think his jumper is pretty smooth. Nothing to bring up ... again IMO.

Reaction Score
#4 on the opposing team is really taking the "short shorts" revolution to the next level.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Let me be clear, Akinjo is definitely a player. I’m very excited for his future here. This particular tape didn’t stand out to me, but I’ve seen plenty of others tapes, that make me more excited. He’s capable of being the next great Husky Point Guard.

Reaction Score
Taliek? Knucklehead

Honestly ... his Jump Shot and then some of his other offensive moves remind me of Bobby Hurley - without the flourishes in crossover behind the back. Hope he is as interested in Defense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom