Jalens bad pass cost that game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jalens bad pass cost that game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He was open, but typically soft.

Yep pass was behind him but so was his defender so naturally you stop and catch it knowing your guy can now make a play on it if you don't protect it. Bad pass, bad job. All in all pretty typical of our possessions down the stretch.

Reaction Score
sure, fine if you look backward. But if you look at the pass at the time...up 4 with the ball under 2 minutes should mean make your free throws and go home with a win. That pass changed the game for the worst. Its not all on him, but if he doesn't do that, its a lot more likely a W.

Just saying there were quite a number of 'game costly' errors, some late game some earlier. I just feel freshman get a one year pass especially for one error.

Reaction Score
you can criticize all you want but Miller was fouled on the put back, point blank period. with a make or two we go to OT or win, end of story

Thank you for mentioning this. I know someone will attack you because we can't criticize the refs. Not only was he fouled on that play but on the Cincinnati basket just before that that tied the game, there were at least two moving picks before the basket that weren't called.
I haven't seen it mentioned, but Ollie actually tried to go after the refs after the whistle. The chickens--its ran out the opposite side so they didn't have to talk to him. I still believe we don't get our share of the calls because Ollie is so passive. Cronin as always in the refs ear at every opportunity but I actually thought he was calmer that two years ago when he got tossed.

Reaction Score
Again to me the only bad call was the one on Clark which they have huge nads to make a call on, awful job by those guys. The no call on Shonn was fine, didn't feel there was enough but after watching again I thought even less. I am sure if Shonn had time and knew he could go up strong we would have seen a finish or a foul. If he planted and elevated or ball faked 3 guys all would've hacked him. Not his fault at all it as GREAT effort rebound.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Yea let's zero in on that one bad play when in reality we had, no joke about 10 straight horrid possessions when our defense gave us a chance to extend our 2 point lead....typical

Reaction Score
Yes there were countless small things we could have cleaned up to win this game, but I do agree with the OP that that Jalen turnover was the biggest blunder that "cost" us the game. Now we all know the catch-22 here is a game is made up of a series of plays and decisions, and its impossible to hinge a loss on a single play. BUT, if you HAD to choose a single play that "cost" the game it would have to be that one. Now all of these little mishaps are all in hindsight, if we tweaked a number of things throughout the entire game we would have won by a few points.

So sad to see us lose this one, we had it in the bag. Ollie needs to do a better job with late close game management plain and simple.

Reaction Score
We are going to have to put Jalen at the point. He is always deferring the dribbling to Dham or SG. On that play he was passing it to dham who was covered. He needs to just run the offense and let those guys play off the ball. I can't stand Sterling Gibbs and how many times he decided to not even look at Shon Miller inside and either threw it to Dham or try to dribble past his guy with the shot clock going down. SG can be very frustrating to watch with the ball in his hands. I know Dham isn't much better but at least he provide us with rebounds and assists. I think KO has to back JA to take control of the team and not always defer to the Dham and SG as he is the only person who can penetrate effectively and dish or score. We will have to live with errors. I mean we are basically going to have to win the AAC Tournament to make the big dance. Why not try to get our point guard acclimated to leading the team for that run.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
4 point lead at home with a minute to go and you lose in regulation...this is getting old real fast. Too much shades of last season for my liking

Reaction Score
How about Rodney Purvis not knowing how to make a layup?

If RP could make a layup ... we'd probably be rated Top 25. He needs a psychiatrist.

Reaction Score
and he played well for most of it--to bad:(
Wrong, Jalen was fine. That was a bonehead play but the team had plenty of opportunities to win the game before that. I was screaming at Jalen to take that ball to the hoop before he passed it to the other team. Plus, he's a freshman give him a break. I would continue to let him run the offense and give him the hook if he gets too screwed up. Jalen offers us a dimension we don't have with anyone else it seems and allows Gibbs to play off the ball where he is better. Jalen defers to the other guys including Hamilton because he is the younger player. He is mistake prone because of his lack of experience but I would still rather give him the ball and let him run it unless he is just completely ineffective which has sometimes been the case.

Reaction Score
Wrong, Jalen was fine. That was a bonehead play but the team had plenty of opportunities to win the game before that. I was screaming at Jalen to take that ball to the hoop before he passed it to the other team. Plus, he's a freshman give him a break. I would continue to let him run the offense and give him the hook if he gets too screwed up. Jalen offers us a dimension we don't have with anyone else it seems and allows Gibbs to play off the ball where he is better. Jalen defers to the other guys including Hamilton because he is the younger player. He is mistake prone because of his lack of experience but I would still rather give him the ball and let him run it unless he is just completely ineffective which has sometimes been the case.
The problem on that play was he wasn't trying to run the offense. He was trying to defer to DHAM when he need to be more assertive with it. DHAM shouldn't be getting the ball that far out to start the offense.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
we got 6 stops on defense... then had two shot clock violations and 4 misses at the rim... that's what cost us

Reaction Score
We are going to have to put Jalen at the point. He is always deferring the dribbling to Dham or SG. On that play he was passing it to dham who was covered. He needs to just run the offense and let those guys play off the ball. I can't stand Sterling Gibbs and how many times he decided to not even look at Shon Miller inside and either threw it to Dham or try to dribble past his guy with the shot clock going down. SG can be very frustrating to watch with the ball in his hands. I know Dham isn't much better but at least he provide us with rebounds and assists. I think KO has to back JA to take control of the team and not always defer to the Dham and SG as he is the only person who can penetrate effectively and dish or score. We will have to live with errors. I mean we are basically going to have to win the AAC Tournament to make the big dance. Why not try to get our point guard acclimated to leading the team for that run.
How many times did Gibbs lose the handle while dribbling around? I counted at least 3 or 4. Jalen is the best ball handler on the team. He needs to be out there.

Reaction Score
I've been pee pee slapped because I mention DHAMs inadequacies. Thank you though.

You were? I can't believe anyone would slap your pee pee on any discussion about DHams inadequacies, it's so obvious.

Reaction Score
It's only a joke...

Jerry and I don't see eye to eye on the level of DHAMS contributions. He's entitled to his opinion.

Reaction Score
It's only a joke...

Jerry and I don't see eye to eye on the level of DHAMS contributions. He's entitled to his opinion.

Jerry's a great guy and knows his stuff, I mostly agree too. But while he is entitled to his opinion, it's his opinion that is entitled at times.;)

Reaction Score
None of that happened in crunch time but Jalen's turnover did. Not sure what you don't understand here but I'm done

Not sure what you don't understand. Yes it happened in crunch time but there were many other negative plays which affected the final score. You'd make a great coach.

Reaction Score
Sounds like plenty of blame all around. At this point in the season freshman mistakes should not be happening at this rate for Jalen he should be farther along imo just saying. There is a whole laundry list of reasons why we lost.

Reaction Score
As one poster said this is starting to be like last year. These 1 or 2 pt.loses are brutal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom