Jalen the Key | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jalen the Key

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Adams' game is hurt somewhat by the current obsession of hitting the three ball.
What? Dude. He had one attempt in 22 minutes, and he was wide open. His drive game will be neutered if they can slag off him five feet because he gets red lighted from three. Think!!

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
What? Dude. He had one attempt in 22 minutes, and he was wide open. His drive game will be neutered if they can slag off him five feet because he gets red lighted from three. Think!!

Adams can shoot. He proved in HS.

It hasn't translated to college yet... early in the season he struggled finishing on his drives... the length and quickness bothered him... but now the balls that were on the rim are starting to drop.

Reaction Score
We haven't seen the best of Jalen yet. He was an outstanding shooter in HS and after he makes a few he will gain confidence and become an outside threat. There is no question that we are a better team with the ball in Jalen's hands. The best is yet to come.

Reaction Score
Need more of Adams and Gibbs at the same time. They compliment each other perfectly with JA ability to drive and Gibbs playing off the ball/spot up shooting.

Reaction Score
Need more of Adams and Gibbs at the same time. They compliment each other perfectly with JA ability to drive and Gibbs playing off the ball/spot up shooting.

I'll be honest, I'm loving what Omar is bringing out on the court every night lately. Even when his shots aren't all falling like last night, he's playing his ace off every second. Getting huge boards, fighting like a bull for loose balls and steals, I like Gibbs, but I was really a fan of all the Omar we got last night, and the kid deserves the PT if he produces, he's been through a lot here

sdhusky

Reaction Score
I'll be honest, I'm loving what Omar is bringing out on the court every night lately. Even when his shots aren't all falling like last night, he's playing his ace off every second. Getting huge boards, fighting like a bull for loose balls and steals, I like Gibbs, but I was really a fan of all the Omar we got last night, and the kid deserves the PT if he produces, he's been through a lot here

Omar is playing a role similar to Kromah... come off the bunch, expend a ton of energy, make some plays, be a senior leader

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Adams can shoot. He proved in HS.

It hasn't translated to college yet... early in the season he struggled finishing on his drives... the length and quickness bothered him... but now the balls that were on the rim are starting to drop.

Yup. Remember how great we were at hitting 3s in 2014? Well, here's the numbers from Shabazz, DeAndre, and Giffey their freshman years:

Shabazz: 33%
Daniels: 24%
Griffey: 32%

All shot over 40% the year we won it all.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
JA had some really nice penetrating moves - for sure
However, with less than a minute he pulled that dribble while standing still until 10 seconds left on the shot clock crap - cant do that
That's two games in a row- he's played enough ball - KO is on the sidelines imploring him to move and he replicates the Statue of Liberty- mind boggling
DHam's second half was most impressive but the player of the game goes to AB - if he plays like that -WOW
I'm with you! AB was a monster this game and fundamentally sound in all facets of his game.

Jalen is only one of three keys. If AB plays like this, Jalen plays like he's capable, and DHam gets out of whatever funk he's in and plays to his potential, this team can go far. And holy cow Omar. He's been contributing a lot lately. His defense and offense have significantly improved from the beginning of the season. But in this game he was a monster. He gave better minutes than DHam this game although DHam's play late in the game was critical for the win.

I'm not on the anti Gibbs bandwagon. He's had to carry the load while JA needed time to develop, AB was out and DHam has played as badly as he can possibly play.

Reaction Score
the key is for JA to have the ball in hands at the end of games. Not Purvis. NOT Gibbs. Adams is the only guy who actually can get the offense set and beat his guy off the dribble. And can finish in the paint, something Purvis and Gibbs fail at. Basically, if Gibbs/Purvis are not making threes, they carry little value to the team (gibbs FT shooting aside). I sometimes think the best lineup is JA, OC, DH, SG, AB with SG, RP, KF and PN/Tallflow coming off the bench

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hamilton is much effective over the course of the game when someone alleviates him from having responsibility of initiating the offense. I like Hamilton creating from the wing more than I do from the top of the key.

Alleviates him? He should never be doing it, no matter who else is on the court. There is nothing that says "failed offensive possession" like Hamilton with the ball outside the 3 point line in the middle of the court. I want him on the wings, and preferably in closer to the basket. I wish he ran like Rip Hamilton to free himself up.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Yup. Remember how great we were at hitting 3s in 2014? Well, here's the numbers from Shabazz, DeAndre, and Giffey their freshman years:

Shabazz: 33%
Daniels: 24%
Griffey: 32%

All shot over 40% the year we won it all.

Niels Griffey is my favorite

Reaction Score
Hamilton is much effective over the course of the game when someone alleviates him from having responsibility of initiating the offense. I like Hamilton creating from the wing more than I do from the top of the key.

He is effective from the wing I like that too.

You know where else he is good, when Jalen takes the ball to the rim on the right side and kicks it out to him, he can ball fake and pull up for a 12-15 footer!:cool:

Reaction Score
He needs to learn to finish with his left hand on lay-ups on the left side of the rim, but he will grow. His jumper will improve as he matures. He is the only player on our roster with real Point Guard instincts.

They tried to give that game away. But the play of the game was D-Ham's jumper. The one where he got a pass for Jalen after he penetrated. D-HAM caught it on the wing, pumped faked his man, and calmly hit a 12 footer. Did anyone else see that play?

(i thought D'Ham's deep from the top of the key was the big play at the end).

Reaction Score
He does things the other guys just can't do. I mean all the finishes were nice, even a couple that hung on the rim that he missed, but the hard drive and kick out to DHam who ball faked and made a huge 12 footer was a thing of beauty.
I saw that Kevin gave kudos to Hamilton after that play. Just as the ball went in I sat to myself Ok love must of loved that unforced shoot from him.

Reaction Score
We're a pretty good team when we have a guard who can penetrate and make things happen. I was nervous as hell when Ollie took him out around the 3 min mark. Thankfully he got him back in there quickly.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
How about that lineup of JA, OC, DH, SM, and AB? That might turn into my favorite lineup. A lot of length, shooting, rebounding, and still the ability to get in the paint and run.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Niels Griffey is my favorite

I loved the game at Memphis when Bazz and Boatshow kept finding Niels wide open. Their fans would be shaking their head in disgust before he even shot the ball...

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
That play where Adams drove and kicked to Hamilton and he pump-faked and hit a mid-range jumper was awesome. Surprised nobody's brought that up yet.
Reminds me of the Chris Farley Saturday Night Live skits where he interviews famous people like Paul McCartney and says, "Remember when you were in The Beetles? That was awesome."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I try not to look past the current season, but man I'm looking forward to Jalen making the Sophmore jump. We're starting to see flashes of it now.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Adams-Calhoun-Hamilton-Miller-Brimah should be the lineup. Let Adams and Hamilton rest one at a time, but one always needs to be in the game.

Reaction Score
In the final three minutes if we're up I like the ball in Jalens hands. He's shown he can create offense quickly. Gibbs hasn't been able to do that at all which has been a huge problem down the line. If he's not scoring he can create space for a shooter which we need more than a contested 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom