Jalen likely returning | The Boneyard

Jalen likely returning

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Will he change his mind if Ollie gets the axe?

Reaction Score
That would be nice. It would at least be good to have one position be solid going into next season. Also he would help as a mentor to Akinjo to an extent. If nothing else, the team needs at least four guards minimum.

Reaction Score
That would be nice. It would at least be good to have one position be solid going into next season. Also he would help as a mentor to Akinjo to an extent. If nothing else, the team needs at least four guards minimum.
I hope your four guards don't include Gilbert as that is what we had going into this year. We need at least 5 especially since we like to run small ball with 3 guards. Can't count on Gilbert with his injury history.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
So early 2018 lineup projection:

PG: Adams-Gilbert/Akinjo
SG: Vital-Gilbert/Akinjo
SF: Polley-Mathews
PF: Wilson-Diarra
C: Carlton-Cobb

After that we have:

Whaley
Williams
Kisunas

Those three can work their way onto the court and into the rotation with strong off-seasons.

How do we feel about that team?

Reaction Score
I hope your four guards don't include Gilbert as that is what we had going into this year. We need at least 5 especially since we like to run small ball with 3 guards. Can't count on Gilbert with his injury history.
Agreed, why I said minimum. Without Adams, we're down to three with Gilbert. No bueno. I suppose you could move Wilson to SG in a pinch.

Reaction Score

After that we have:

Whaley
Williams
Kisunas

Those three can work their way onto the court and into the rotation with strong off-seasons.

On paper that's a squad, but we've also said that 4 years running now and only have 1 NCAA tournament appearance to show for it.

Reaction Score
Agreed, why I said minimum. Without Adams, we're down to three with Gilbert. No bueno. I suppose you could move Wilson to SG in a pinch.
I still think it is needs to be 5 at a minimum or we will run into the same issues again if we need to run small ball. I know Emmit Mathews could play some guard but he looks better suited to play SF. I rather Wilson play up from too.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

After that we have:

Whaley
Williams
Kisunas

While it's a nice thought exercise, until we see what's happening with the coaching and subsequent player movement, it's kinda moot.

I'd switch up your lineups though.

SG: Vital-Mathews-Adams
SF: Polley-Wilson
PF: Diarra-Williams
C: Carlton-Diarra/Williams

Bench:
Cobb
Whaley
Kisunas

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Adams will be the player we thought he could be next year. Test the waters and then put in a summer of work that he failed to do up till now. Good chance we are looking at the All American we all hoped for. Kid loves UConn/KO. It is what it is...

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
On paper that's a squad, but we've also said that 4 years running now and only have 1 1st round NCAA Tournament win to show for it.

If Jalen was a soph this year, and you had that squad in 2 years time, you'd have something. They'll still be pretty green next year.

Reaction Score
While it's a nice thought exercise, until we see what's happening with the coaching and subsequent player movement, it's kinda moot.

I'd switch up your lineups though.

SG: Vital-Mathews-PG
SF: Polley-Wilson
PF: Diarra-Williams
C: Carlton-Diarra/Williams

Bench:
Cobb
Whaley
Kisunas

Need to find someone that can shoot consistently to join that group.

Reaction Score
Akinjo is a PG and will allow Jalen to play off the ball and fill in at PG much the way Ben Gordon was used. If Gilbert stays healthy all the better. It isn't likely that we will sign another guard at this late date.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom