Jalen Gaffney update | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jalen Gaffney update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I never really look at ESPN’s recruiting site anymore cuz it has fallen behind, but they have Dawes ranked slightly above Gaffney at 95 compared to 97. Thought that was interesting since the board has a much different narrative.

Reaction Score
Rankings are relevant to a degree, but trust in the coaches to go after the right guys. There are other factors besides rankings. I am not as knowledgeable as many guys on this board, but I have heard in the past that “ politics” plays a role in these rankings. Not sure what to make of that, maybe someone could elaborate.

Reaction Score
I never really look at ESPN’s recruiting site anymore cuz it has fallen behind, but they have Dawes ranked slightly above Gaffney at 95 compared to 97. Thought that was interesting since the board has a much different narrative.

Gaffney played much better, is more athletic, and shoots at a MUCH higher %% than dawes. There is no doubt he is the better player.

Wong > gaffney > dawes.

But wong and gaffney are much closer than dawes.

Reaction Score
Ok - Chief will use his Economics /Finance background to help clarify. The problem with using the poverty rate as a metrics is it doesn’t factor in the local cost of living. As of a few years ago, for a family of 4, it’s the percentage of people making less than $23,000 regardless if they live in NYC, San Francisco or Biloxi, Mississippi. I don’t really need to go any further, I think you understand it’s not a meaningful measurement.
Another flaw with using the poverty rate as a metrics is that it doesn’t include government support programs like food stamps, programs such as SNAP, Rental assistance/Section 8, health programs like Husky and so on.
#ChiefCertified

Wow @Chief00 - For a quick second, I found myself admiring how in depth your knowledge was, and how sensible you made your argument. It was a view into the "real world" of Chief. Then I read further...

provided the data in my earlier posts and World Class analysis. You go based on emotions and limited anecdotes.

Ahh, there's the Chief we all know and love. Either way, I wish you could be as in depth and make as much sense with your reporting of UConn basketball as you do with finance/economics

Love,

#1 Chief Fan (Casual of course)

Reaction Score
Rankings are relevant to a degree, but trust in the coaches to go after the right guys. There are other factors besides rankings. I am not as knowledgeable as many guys on this board, but I have heard in the past that “ politics” plays a role in these rankings. Not sure what to make of that, maybe someone could elaborate.
Gaffney played much better, is more athletic, and shoots at a MUCH higher %% than dawes. There is no doubt he is the better player.

Wong > gaffney > dawes.
Here's a little comparison using their AAU numbers this year. Green represents an advantage over the other player, red means "red flag".

Dawes vs Gaffney.png

C

Chief00

Wow @Chief00 - For a quick second, I found myself admiring how in depth your knowledge was, and how sensible you made your argument. It was a view into the "real world" of Chief. Then I read further...

Ahh, there's the Chief we all know and love. Either way, I wish you could be as in depth and make as much sense with your reporting of UConn basketball as you do with finance/economics

Love,

#1 Chief Fan (Casual of course)

But,
“Line up all the Economists in Washington DC and they form a circle”
Professor Weiner

He was correct that many economic arguments are circular. And where does a circle start or end? What causes a circle?

Enough of deep economic thought, as for my basketball knowledge, don’t always assume the problem is with the teacher. Just kidding.

pj

Reaction Score
But,
Professor Weiner

He was correct that many economic arguments are circular. And where does a circle start or end? What causes a circle?

Enough of deep economic thought, as for my basketball knowledge, don’t always assume the problem is with the teacher. Just kidding.

I believe the joke you are looking for is "If all the economists were lined up (or laid end to end), they would not reach a conclusion."

Reaction Score
Props, man. Think we can get the same with Wong included??
Lol it’s funny you say that because I got rid of the above and as I did I was like “why didn’t I include him?" But I'm bored at work anyways so I just redid it.

Wong vs Dawes vs Gaffney.png

I included some ties with the green, but you'll notice that most of Dawes' advantages over Gaffney were overtaken by Wong. I gave Gaffney the 3P edge over Wong because his percentages are better and he takes twice as many 3PA/G.

Reaction Score
But,
Professor Weiner

Holy moly. Take a lap Chief because you absolutely butchered that quote. Not even close.

pj

Reaction Score
Lol it’s funny you say that because I got rid of the above and as I did I was like “why didn’t I include him?" But I'm bored at work anyways so I just redid it.

View attachment 34212

I included some ties with the green, but you'll notice that most of Dawes' advantages over Gaffney were overtaken by Wong. I gave Gaffney the 3P edge over Wong because his percentages are better and he takes twice as many 3PA/G.

Gaffney looks good in these comparisons. Most of his disadvantages would be remedied by more strength, and that is the easiest thing to fix. I would give Wong the shooting edge based on his FT%, but it is slight, and the difference in assists and A/TO is dramatic. Gaffney might have more upside than Wong based on these stats.

Reaction Score
Gaffney looks good in these comparisons. Most of his disadvantages would be remedied by more strength, and that is the easiest thing to fix. I would give Wong the shooting edge based on his FT%, but it is slight, and the difference in assists and A/TO is dramatic. Gaffney might have more upside than Wong based on these stats.
Was just talking to a buddy about this... My take:

Advantages in my opinion
Wong: Scoring, Defense
Gaffney: 3P Shooting, Passing

Both great talents, but I just think Wong has that "takeover" ability/mentality, whereas Gaffney doesn't, likely because he's always played with Reddish, Antoine, or Lewis so was never "the guy".

pj

Reaction Score
Both great talents, but I just think Wong has that "takeover" ability/mentality, whereas Gaffney doesn't, likely because he's always played with Reddish, Antoine, or Lewis so was never "the guy".

High D1 players usually are "the guy" in high school and have to learn in college to defer and complement. It's not a bad thing to have a pass-first PG who has to learn how to assert himself offensively, because in some ways that's easier to learn than the distribution skills. Of course some guys just have a meek personality and never develop that aggressive mentality on the court. JC was good at instilling a disciplined aggressiveness. Mike Miller, now assistant coach at Memphis, stood out to me as a high school player for making things happen by sheer aggressiveness. Aggression and tempo go a long way on the offensive side.

C

Chief00

6255A484-B11B-48EF-8867-DCA75BD204FD.png

Looks like George Bernard Shaw as quoted by JFK. Not forming a conclusion some how became forming a circle with Professor Weiner. Professor Weiner use to also say - half of a student’s success was just getting it down on paper. In other words, don’t try to waste his time by scheduling office appts to discuss your ideas for your paper. The time would be better spent if you started to write the paper.

Holy moly. Take a lap Chief because you absolutely butchered that quote. Not even close.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score

View attachment 34212

Stats this is great work, would love to see more of this in recruting threads moving forward!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom