Jalen Gaffney update | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jalen Gaffney update

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’m probably the only Husky fan in Oklahoma, but Tulsa is a lot nicer than Hartford. Don’t even think it is close. I lived in CT for most of my life and it pains me to say it.
Tulsa-26147.jpg

hc-top-10-stories-7-20161225

Reaction Score
There’s not a lot of poverty in OK. Most people are doing fairly well. Nice but very affordable homes.
Oklahoma is 36th in poverty rate in the US. The only states with a higher rate (16.6%) are in the deep south or Appalachia.

Good work with the usual Chief-level info vetting here.

C

Chief00

Oklahoma is 36th in poverty rate in the US. The only states with a higher rate (16.6%) are in the deep south or Appalachia.

Good work with the usual Chief-level info vetting here.

Time to educate one-step at a time - define poverty rate? What is your source?

Reaction Score
Clemson isn't a basketball school...but they made it to the Sweet 16 last year, before running into Kansas.

They are not the program to be a perennial tournament team.

1990 as well.

Reaction Score
I have been to OKC but not Tulsa. I do know this when comparing Tulsa to Hartford. Hartford is 90 to 100 minutes from Boston, 2.5 hours to NYC, 1 hour to the Atlantic Ocean and HALF HOUR TO STORRS.

Advantage Hartford.

C

Chief00

Ok - Chief will use his Economics /Finance background to help clarify. The problem with using the poverty rate as a metrics is it doesn’t factor in the local cost of living. As of a few years ago, for a family of 4, it’s the percentage of people making less than $23,000 regardless if they live in NYC, San Francisco or Biloxi, Mississippi. I don’t really need to go any further, I think you understand it’s not a meaningful measurement.
Another flaw with using the poverty rate as a metrics is that it doesn’t include government support programs like food stamps, programs such as SNAP, Rental assistance/Section 8, health programs like Husky and so on.
#ChiefCertified

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

Chief actually likes economics but I know this is a sports board so I will stop after this. To support my point - of 300 cities/metro areas surveyed nationally Norman, OK ranked 21st and 23rd in housing affordability and low cost of living. That puts it in the top 7-8% nationally in terms of affordability - more than offsetting an average income that’s ranked at about 25% lowest of the 50 states or about 38 out of 50.

Norman, Oklahoma, ranks well for first-time homebuyers

Last edited by a moderator:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Clemson isn't a basketball school...but they made it to the Sweet 16 last year, before running into Kansas.

They are not the program to be a perennial tournament team.
But being in the ACC lends them more opportunities to become a better team and program - there is some truth to the fact that a great football program helps the rest of the sports at that school. Brad Brownell is a good coach and is known to make "marginal" players very good.

C

Chief00

WeHa > Tulsa

Chief lived in WeHa in the early 90’s for a few years. I liked it. Since then, they have put in a lot of traffic lights that makes it tougher to get around. However, overall lots of positive changes.

Reaction Score
There’s not a lot of poverty in OK. Most people are doing fairly well. Nice but very affordable homes.

!!!!!!!!!!!! Come on!!!

When I drove into one of its biggest college towns, I literally saw shotgun shacks everywhere. And on the outskirts oil McMansions. Seriously stop with this (yes, I'm talking about Stillwater)!

C

Chief00

!!!!!!!!!!!! Come on!!!

When I drove into one of its biggest college towns, I literally saw shotgun shacks everywhere. And on the outskirts oil McMansions. Seriously stop with this (yes, I'm talking about Stillwater)!

I provided the data in my earlier posts and World Class analysis. You go based on emotions and limited anecdotes.

Reaction Score
I provided the data in my earlier posts and World Class analysis. You go based on emotions and limited anecdotes.

So, you've never actually been to Oklahoma. What is limited about being there?

C

Chief00

So, you've never actually been to Oklahoma. What is limited about being there?

Probably been there 10-15 times on business over several years. I actually liked Tulsa better than OKC. Not a bad drive from North Dallas.

Reaction Score
Probably been there 10-15 times on business over several years. I actually liked Tulsa better than OKC. Not a bad drive from North Dallas.

Do you open your eyes when you're there? Tulsa is not like the rest of the state, which more resembles West Texas. But I saw a ton of poverty there; one of the poorest states in the union. I saw stuff that made my jaws drop. When I talk about shotgun shacks, these were in the center of town, not in some rural outpost. Can't imagine living on iron rich red dirt that doesn't get out of your clothes, and never found charm in "yellow grass."

Reaction Score
I have been to OKC but not Tulsa. I do know this when comparing Tulsa to Hartford. Hartford is 90 to 100 minutes from Boston, 2.5 hours to NYC, 1 hour to the Atlantic Ocean and HALF HOUR TO STORRS.

Advantage Hartford.

So let me get this straight - you've never been to the place you're critiquing - good plan.

So I'll entertain this because it's simply humorous.

Sure geographic advantage for driving, but boy that's a narrow definition. My family for generations is from Hartford, like DAR generations and we've had some successful businesses grow in Hartford, so I have an irrational fondness for it, but the city is not great by any definition when taken on it's own merits - always a tough sell when you say ......well there's nothing to do here, but X is an hour away.

It sounds oddly like the pitch Salisbury tried to recruit me with back in the day and when I said "what the hell is there to do here" the answer was "Ocean City is a half hour away" - "ah, yeah, no thanks"

As I said earlier there's plenty of good restaurants, bars, outdoor activities and playing Southern Hills or the Golf Club of Oklahoma is a treat. A lot of wealth in Tulsa. There are also plenty of real areas. I split time between NYC and Upstate NY, so obviously I prefer the Northeast to the midwest (anywhere), but there are definite advantages to living in the midwest be it Tulsa, OKC, KC, Dallas, Chicago, etc.

I was in Tulsa 2 days a week for 5 years - it's a 30 minute flight from KC so I have some real Tulsa experience for better or worse (edit)

pj

Reaction Score
I open a Jalen Gaffney thread and Chief is linking articles about housing affordability in Norman, OK.

Are we getting Jalen Gaffney?

Hope so ... but twenty minutes.

Reaction Score
#200 player? Wow, that's a pretty low rating. How could that be if we're so hot on him?
He's a 4 star, 247 has him 133rd and ESPN has him sneaking in the top 100. He's way underrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom