Jalen Duren to Memphis | The Boneyard

Jalen Duren to Memphis

Reaction Score
Tons of pressure on Penny to actually do something this year.

According to Pomeroy, Memphis was the #1 defense last year thanks to their second best perimeter D, and top-11 ranking in both block and steal%.

However, it only takes a few possessions of watching Memphis' offense to realize that Penny has not yet developed (and probably never will develop) offensive systems or sets to succeed in the NCAA. Statistically, they shoot well from deep (36.3%), rebound well (30th in nation), but give up a ton of turnovers (21.7 turnover% rate, 39th highest in nation), shoot 61.7% from the line (8th worst in the nation) and hit only 48.9% of shots from inside the arc (41st percentile).

Duren will certainly help their interior offense, but with a potential starting lineup below, they will not have that secure facilitator tonic that great teams need:

Jalen Duren 6'10 230
DeAndre Williams 6'9 190
Landers Nolley 6'7 230
Earl Timberlake 6'6 215
Lester Quinones 6'5 210

Crazy that Memphis is in the running for Emoni Bates too.

In summary, Memphis was an afterthought for me, but with Duren in the mix, I've got to check out a few of their games just to see if anything can come out of this newest (and last?) hurrah out of Memphis. Xavier has a chance to play Memphis on 11/26 if they matchup in the second game of the NIT season tip off (Xavier/Iowa State and Memphis/Virginia Tech are the two first round matchups).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Because of his age Bates can't go to the NBA for two years. You really think he spends two years in the G League? You think the G League wants to babysit him for 2 years? I think it's more likely he spends one year in college and then the next year in the G League.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Both of those spots make sense, but I still think he just goes to the G-League.

I thought that's what Duren would do but seeing as how FedEx doesn't have to hide payments anymore I can see going to college. In my opinion Penny turns Memphis into Kentucky light with a bunch of one and done, high draft picks who never quite close the deal in the NCAA's. I'm more than pleased that Danny is taking a different approach to rebuilding and sustaining.

Reaction Score
I wasn't aware of that, wow. If he goes to college for one year doesn't that mean he's draft eligible the next year though?

Reaction Score
Tons of pressure on Penny to actually do something this year.

According to Pomeroy, Memphis was the #1 defense last year thanks to their second best perimeter D, and top-11 ranking in both block and steal%.

However, it only takes a few possessions of watching Memphis' offense to realize that Penny has not yet developed (and probably never will develop) offensive systems or sets to succeed in the NCAA. Statistically, they shoot well from deep (36.3%), rebound well (30th in nation), but give up a ton of turnovers (21.7 turnover% rate, 39th highest in nation), shoot 61.7% from the line (8th worst in the nation) and hit only 48.9% of shots from inside the arc (41st percentile).

Duren will certainly help their interior offense, but with a potential starting lineup below, they will not have that secure facilitator tonic that great teams need:

Jalen Duren 6'10 230
DeAndre Williams 6'9 190
Landers Nolley 6'7 230
Earl Timberlake 6'6 215
Lester Quinones 6'5 210

Crazy that Memphis is in the running for Emoni Bates too.

In summary, Memphis was an afterthought for me, but with Duren in the mix, I've got to check out a few of their games just to see if anything can come out of this newest (and last?) hurrah out of Memphis. Xavier has a chance to play Memphis on 11/26 if they matchup in the second game of the NIT season tip off (Xavier/Iowa State and Memphis/Virginia Tech are the two first round matchups).
Hopefully the development for him goes better than Cisse, although he appears much less raw. That's a stacked lineup yet again. Deondre was a nice surprise for them.

Reaction Score
Both of those spots make sense, but I still think he just goes to the G-League.

He could get a huge contract. I bet they're thinking Bates in the G-League for two years would be really great for league branding.

Reaction Score
Bates isn’t as “can’t miss” anymore than he was a year a two ago. I heard rumblings that he hasn’t really gotten all that better since his freshman year. That’s probably being kept in mind as well

Reaction Score
Bates isn’t as “can’t miss” anymore than he was a year a two ago. I heard rumblings that he hasn’t really gotten all that better since his freshman year. That’s probably being kept in mind as well
He's been coached only by his dad for the past 3 years outside of a few AAU games. That and getting hos growth spurt early has really impacted him. Definitely still a top 5 pick kind of player, just not the "best prospect since Lebron" they were hyping up.

Reaction Score
He's been coached only by his dad for the past 3 years outside of a few AAU games. That and getting hos growth spurt early has really impacted him. Definitely still a top 5 pick kind of player, just not the "best prospect since Lebron" they were hyping up.

Reaction Score
I still have zero faith in Penny’s ability to coach at the college level. He has absolutely zero excuses this season.

No question he can recruit with the best of them and bring in amazing young talent. His staff is all retired NBA players/coaches so it’s no shock

I personally think Goodman is out of pocket saying they are arguably top 5 in the country

Reaction Score
They still don't have a point guard.

IMO, they still aren't the best team in the AAC. Still Houston.

They've got a good OOC between Tennessee, Alabama, Virginia Tech, Saint Louis, Xavier/Iowa State, Ole Miss, Western Kentucky and Murray State. If they enter AAC play with three or less losses, I'll be impressed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I still have zero faith in Penny’s ability to coach at the college level. He has absolutely zero excuses this season.

No question he can recruit with the best of them and bring in amazing young talent. His staff is all retired NBA players/coaches so it’s no shock

I personally think Goodman is out of pocket saying they are arguably top 5 in the country
Just like all the media putting Kentucky top 5 every year because of a great recruiting class coming in. Hardly ever works that way.

Reaction Score
It's been rumored for a while now that the coaches want to try Bates at point guard. If they can pull it off that solves one problem. Memphis has six players who need to see starters minutes - and one will still have to swallow his pride and come off the bench ---even with Emoni at point guard. Be interesting to see if Penny can manage that talent.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom