Jalen Duren to Memphis | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jalen Duren to Memphis

Reaction Score
I couldn't be a fan of a team that operated this way. UConn is no saint historically or anything, but just blatantly subverting the amateurism rules doesn't do it for me.

I also appreciate that we aren't recruiting these hs prima donna players. Duran seems alright, but I would want no piece of the Bates baggage no matter how talented he is

Reaction Score
I couldn't be a fan of a team that operated this way. UConn is no saint historically or anything, but just blatantly subverting the amateurism rules doesn't do it for me.

I also appreciate that we aren't recruiting these hs prima donna players. Duran seems alright, but I would want no piece of the Bates baggage no matter how talented he is
I'll post this again here since it seems relevant.

When asked if any recruit, parent of a recruit or representative of a recruit had inquired as to how much money they could make at UConn thanks to the recently passed name, image and likeness laws, Hurley began to laugh.

“Yes,” he said in between chuckles. He then took a long pause before re-stating his answer. “Listen ... yes.”

Suffice to say, it has come up. But even as it becomes a more prominent piece of college sports, Hurley said he won’t be altering his recruiting strategy to adhere to it.

“We’re not going to get into the business,” Hurley said. “Everyone has a reputation in recruiting. We’ll never inflate numbers to a potential recruit about what they could potentially do in NIL to try and secure their services, which is something that, you know, potentially you’re going to see. ... We’re going to attract kids here that want to be a part of one of the great brands in all of college basketball. They want to be a part of a program that’s striving for its fifth national championship. They want to be developed by a great group of coaches that want to help them maximize their professional careers.

“And we’ll put them in the best position that we can to take advantage of the NIL here at UConn. I’m not going to get into the business, which you’re obviously going to see from programs, you know, where that goes on. That’s not who I am.”

Reaction Score

How is what Memphis doing "subverting the amateurism rules?" UConn literally can't prohibit their players from profiting from their NIL. The Ivy League allows NIL. So why wouldn't UConn help the players make as much money as they can?

HooperScooper's quote tells me one of two things: i) Hurley is referring to schools promising vasts amount of cash that they won't be able to deliver on similar to promises to start on Day 1 or to be an NBA lottery pick after year 1. He also doesn't want kids that are ONLY interested in maxing out their NIL while at UConn; or ii) He only wants guys that want to play for UConn and not take advantage of NIL opportunities. If it's the latter, he's going to fall behind if he doesn't want players that are interested in NIL. I personally think he was referring to the former and I hope UConn will help its athletes secure opportunities.

Reaction Score
I'll post this again here since it seems relevant.

When asked if any recruit, parent of a recruit or representative of a recruit had inquired as to how much money they could make at UConn thanks to the recently passed name, image and likeness laws, Hurley began to laugh.

“Yes,” he said in between chuckles. He then took a long pause before re-stating his answer. “Listen ... yes.”

Suffice to say, it has come up. But even as it becomes a more prominent piece of college sports, Hurley said he won’t be altering his recruiting strategy to adhere to it.

“We’re not going to get into the business,” Hurley said. “Everyone has a reputation in recruiting. We’ll never inflate numbers to a potential recruit about what they could potentially do in NIL to try and secure their services, which is something that, you know, potentially you’re going to see. ... We’re going to attract kids here that want to be a part of one of the great brands in all of college basketball. They want to be a part of a program that’s striving for its fifth national championship. They want to be developed by a great group of coaches that want to help them maximize their professional careers.

“And we’ll put them in the best position that we can to take advantage of the NIL here at UConn. I’m not going to get into the business, which you’re obviously going to see from programs, you know, where that goes on. That’s not who I am.”
Link to article?

Reaction Score
How is what Memphis doing "subverting the amateurism rules?" UConn literally can't prohibit their players from profiting from their NIL. The Ivy League allows NIL. So why wouldn't UConn help the players make as much money as they can?

HooperScooper's quote tells me one of two things: i) Hurley is referring to schools promising vasts amount of cash that they won't be able to deliver on similar to promises to start on Day 1 or to be an NBA lottery pick after year 1. He also doesn't want kids that are ONLY interested in maxing out their NIL while at UConn; or ii) He only wants guys that want to play for UConn and not take advantage of NIL opportunities. If it's the latter, he's going to fall behind if he doesn't want players that are interested in NIL. I personally think he was referring to the former and I hope UConn will help its athletes secure opportunities.

He will help them make money through NIL. He won’t be be asking The Hartford to pay Donovan Clingan $1,000,000 to come play at UConn.

Reaction Score

I am no expert whatsoever, but what I understand from the information in this thread is that Memphis potentially violated the rules by working with FedEx to offer a deal that is contingent upon a player committing to Memphis. That is apparently not allowed.

Reaction Score

He will help them make money through NIL. He won’t be be asking The Hartford to pay Donovan Clingan $1,000,000 to come play at UConn.
I didn't see that part at first and then couldn't edit (probably good to get rid of the feature that allowed unlimited editing). I agree that he's saying it's not something he'll get involved with. I think the University could. As an alum with a degree from the business school (but not really using it), how cool would it have been to have a program that works on NIL opportunities for the school's athletes. The school/students in the program could get a cut.

@Get a Job, that's interesting about the violation. If that's the case, there will certainly be some games, "I'm not saying that you would get $1mm from FedEx if you came here, but you saw what Emoni Bates got." Or from FedEx, "We'd like to offer you $1mm but it is contingent upon you spending 150 days per year in the city of Memphis. But you can go to any school you'd like. Visible Music College [I looked that one up] should have a strong program next year."

Reaction Score
I didn't see that part at first and then couldn't edit (probably good to get rid of the feature that allowed unlimited editing). I agree that he's saying it's not something he'll get involved with. I think the University could. As an alum with a degree from the business school (but not really using it), how cool would it have been to have a program that works on NIL opportunities for the school's athletes. The school/students in the program could get a cut.

@Get a Job, that's interesting about the violation. If that's the case, there will certainly be some games, "I'm not saying that you would get $1mm from FedEx if you came here, but you saw what Emoni Bates got." Or from FedEx, "We'd like to offer you $1mm but it is contingent upon you spending 150 days per year in the city of Memphis. But you can go to any school you'd like. Visible Music College [I looked that one up] should have a strong program next year."
Don't sleep on VMC!

Reaction Score
Yes the regulations are utterly unenforceable, and the NCAA knows this. The schools know this. The players know this. The NCAA didn't want to get involved with this, but got dragged into it.

You just can't tell a reporter that's what is literally going on. Because outright admitting it is literally the only way you can get busted. But the schools doing it do have an incentive to tell people, so that future recruits hear about it and their sponsors get a free publicity boost. So they probably have to wink and nod.

The NCAA would do better just eliminating any regulation, but this would visibly open the door all the way, and they'd prefer it would just be open while they pretend it's just cracked.

Reaction Score

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I'm sure this won't be a popular opinion, but I think that Hurley quote is terrible, if he's telling the truth. He'll be left in the dust by the people who understand the financial pull is far superior to some rah rah sentimental culture BS every coach pitches in some capacity as well. These aren't just college players anymore, they're a buisness, a buisness that is now not exclusive to the Auburns and LSUs.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
This is a fascinating case between the OTE $’s vs. college corporate sponsors $’s. This is the new recruiting battlefield.

I don't think OTE can compete and don't care how many investors they have. Corporate dollars will outweigh what they are paying and the National TV exposure, March Madness, campus life are lightyears ahead of the schedule and structure OTE is cobbling together. If I were a talented HS kid weighing these options it would be 50/50 college or the G-League for the top spot, then 50/50 OTE or Europe for 3rd and 4th place.

Reaction Score
Larry Brown would coach better than Penny if he were 6 ft under. Great basketball mind will help Penny. His highly talented teams look so bad at times, obviously no rhyme or reason to anything they do. “Here’s the ball” is his best coaching impact and “here’s your bag”. There’s nothing more to see here.

Reaction Score
I don't think OTE can compete and don't care how many investors they have. Corporate dollars will outweigh what they are paying and the National TV exposure, March Madness, campus life are lightyears ahead of the schedule and structure OTE is cobbling together. If I were a talented HS kid weighing these options it would be 50/50 college or the G-League for the top spot, then 50/50 OTE or Europe for 3rd and 4th place.
We know they are paying over $100,000 a year, during the summer circuit it was rumored they were offering certain kids $300k to $600k. Again, I can’t prove it due to their lack of transparency about things that really matter. They have not disclosed any financials and apparently they love using non disclosures while they preach to everyone in their fluff interviews. I hope you are right, but I do see the short term appeal to a 16 year old and perhaps a lower income family.

Reaction Score
Larry Brown would coach better than Penny if he were 6 ft under. Great basketball mind will help Penny. His highly talented teams look so bad at times, obviously no rhyme or reason to anything they do. “Here’s the ball” is his best coaching impact and “here’s your bag”. There’s nothing more to see here.
Great post.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom