Jalen Carey on campus today (6/27) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jalen Carey on campus today (6/27)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My eyes saw a very valuable Terry Larrier in just a few UConn games. I expect him to be transformative in getting our Team to a higher level. He might be our best player. With a dynamic Jalen Adams as well.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
My eyes saw a very valuable Terry Larrier in just a few UConn games. I expect him to be transformative in getting our Team to a higher level. He might be our best player. With a dynamic Jalen Adams as well.
Let's not count out Gilbert. The kid looked stellar in the few games we saw from him. The speed of the game was not too much for him. His jumper looked decent and he was getting into the lane at will. He, Jalen and Terry will be fun to watch this season. Let just hope we can protect the rim and rebound.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Of anyone on the roster, Terry Larrier has the best chance at being a 1st round draft pick. He's 6'8" with handle, good moves, a sweet-looking jumper and elite athleticism. We'll see how he recovers from the knee injury but it wouldn't shock me if he was our top scorer this year (15+ ppg) and leaves early as a 1st round lock.

Reaction Score
I don't think NBA draft decisions are ever as cut-and-dry as they seem this time of year, and that's especially true, if I had to guess, of Adams and Larrier. Both are older prospects but neither are projected first rounders. Given their age, a world certainly exists where they could have really good years and still fall outside the first round.

A lot can change in a year. Whatever nostalgia a kid like Larrier has for the program and University isn't likely to be nearly as meaningful after two years of sitting as it would in the wake of an NCAA Tournament run. And I realize many kids aren't in the position financially to take that joy ride fifth year in college (I have no idea what Adams' or Larrier's situations are), but if the difference in cash is negotiable (and this is where things get murky regarding boosters and benefits), perhaps they decide to make a run at a title in 2019.

No matter the case, it's always interesting to monitor how many players a program loses early to the draft that aren't first rounders. Under KO, we've already lost two (Daniels and Hamilton), both of whom left an unexpected void in the roster that spurred poor seasons. Those are the ones - the dudes that aren't around long enough to optimize the on court product but also aren't good enough to help recruiting as NBA'ers - that hurt you as a coach. Obviously Daniels doesn't fit that category, and if Adams and/or Larrier leave it won't be because they didn't put in their time, but it's something to watch. The Joel Berry's and Kennedy Meeks' win just as much in college ball as the Tyus Jones' and Jayson Tatum's. These thing can be impossible to project, but they're the type of last hour decisions that can seal a coaches fate in one way or the other (for a counter point, see Shabazz Napier in 2013).

Reaction Score
Larrier and Adams are both gone.
The concern over 2017-18 is way overblown
The real concern is 2018-19
A great PG is a must top,top top priority.

Combo guard and 3 next
We will have a lot of front liners coming back holding them together is key.
but getting a true 5 next to replace the PG is also a priority.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
??? If he comes back and plays well, it's the same world.
Definitely not. The kid hasn't played competitive basketball for more than 3 games in a row since 2015. He was a young, raw prospect with a lot of potential back then. Now he's had a major knee injury, is 2 years older and needs to show development rather than potential. 2 years ago, and even last year, he could have been drafted on potential. By June 2018, after 4 academic years in college, he needs be drafted based on production. Scouts look at a player in Larrier's stage of development way different than a guy like Jonathan Isaac. Different world for Terry than it was last year.

Reaction Score
??? If he comes back and plays well, it's the same world.

He's going to be 22 by the time the season starts, he's coming back from major knee surgery, and at the very least it's likely to take him time to get his bearings after playing only three games in the last 30+ months. Even if he does everything we ask him to and has a great season, it's going to be tough for him to vault into the first round.

Reaction Score
Let's not count out Gilbert. The kid looked stellar in the few games we saw from him. The speed of the game was not too much for him. His jumper looked decent and he was getting into the lane at will. He, Jalen and Terry will be fun to watch this season. Let just hope we can protect the rim and rebound.

Before Gilbert leaves here people will be using his name in the same sentence as Kemba.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
He also got torched on defense, and we have nobody to meet his man at the rim. Plus he still isn't 100% back from his shoulder injury. I wouldn't bet on him being even sophomore Adams as of right now. I wanna hear he's 100% and feeling great before I place any faith in him.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
He also got torched on defense, and we have nobody to meet his man at the rim. Plus he still isn't 100% back from his shoulder injury. I wouldn't bet on him being even sophomore Adams as of right now. I wanna hear he's 100% and feeling great before I place any faith in him.
Well he's TECHNICALLY a freshman. He's played what, 2 games? I also don't like comparing him to Jalen. They're obviously very different players. What I will say is that from what I saw he looked like he was every bit as good or better than Adams was as a freshman. He's explosive and strong. He'll figure it out on D.

Reaction Score

You say you wouldn't bet on him being a sophomore Adams as if him being a sophomore Adams would be something less than great.

Reaction Score
You say you wouldn't bet on him being a sophomore Adams as if him being a sophomore Adams would be something less than great.
The expectation should be him playing at a freshman Adams, Kemba, AJ, Bazz level. We just have to hope the shoulder is 100% and he has no future shoulder problems.

Reaction Score
The expectation should be him playing at a freshman Adams, Kemba, AJ, Bazz level. We just have to hope the shoulder is 100% and he has no future shoulder problems.

I was saying last year at this time that I expected him to be like a freshman Boat (who had a better freshman year than people remember). With the pseudo red-shirt year I could see him being a little bit better than that this season, but yeah, health is obviously paramount.

Reaction Score
I was saying last year at this time that I expected him to be like a freshman Boat (who had a better freshman year than people remember). With the pseudo red-shirt year I could see him being a little bit better than that this season, but yeah, health is obviously paramount.
Your realize he hasn't been playing this whole time, right?

Reaction Score
Your realize he hasn't been playing this whole time, right?

Yeah. I don't think that negates everything you gain from a season of being around a D-1 basketball team. Just having gone through a full off-season of training, a month + of practices, and two games should help prepare him. Not to mention, he shouldn't have to deal with what Boat did in getting yanked around by the NCAA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom