Jalen Carey Article | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jalen Carey Article

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Ok. Guess I'm wrong. Sharing a cesspool with Tulane, Tulsa, UCF, USF, Temple, East Carolina, Et al has zero impact. Everything would be solved by simply winning the league and being declared the tallest midget.

Nobody said that. Conference is one factor, which can be somewhat mitigated by consistently playing at elite levels.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The only way to recruit elite talent outside the P5 is tons of winning. Gonzaga gets kids because they win and are ranked highly every year. If we can start doing that, the conference won't hurt as bad.

Now name a major program within 500 miles of Spokane. It's the Boise State syndrome. Success + isolation. Everyone recruits the northeast.

Problem #1 is that we are not dominating the snitshow of a conference. Kansas dominates the B12, no reason we cant win 1 or 2 vs Cincy and sweep everyone else every year.

Problem #2 is whatever is going on in the locker room, wrong kids, bad coaching, not practicing in Gampel, residuals of APR, conference collapse, IDK it's something.

Problem #3 is schedule which is where the conference comes in. We can't lose Top 100 games in Dec and hope to make it up in Jan/Feb. Last season was done before the conference schedule started and it wasn't because of all the injuries as we had no opportunities left for quality wins.

Problem #4 is we don't seem to be recruiting rebounding forwards, only undersized guards and stretch 4's that want to be 3's.

Reaction Score
If we were winning our conference like we should be instead of finishing middle of the pack, recruiting would be good. Ollie needs to start earning his salary, the rest is just noise.
I agree....if / when we get back to being a perennial top 25 team we'll get the kids.

Reaction Score
Zaga and WSU are bad examples for comparison. Both have elite coaches who have found their niches and have stuck around long enough to keep that plan going. We've gone from an elite conference to a mediocre conference and from an hall of fame coach to an inconsistent young coach, perfect sh#t storm. You can say what you want but every season of mediocrity and lost recruiting classes has the ability to run this program into the abyss like the programs and their fans who've received a life raft predicted when we got the shaft from the ACC.

Reaction Score
I agree....if / when we get back to being a perennial top 25 team we'll get the kids.

If this were true, his first 4 years would have been enough to pull in strong classes.

A good showing when they were banned, a national championship, and a conference championship were enough to keep the recruits coming.

But you are going to fall off in recruiting when you have one bad year.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone realizes how terribly WSU recruits compared to the P5s plus AAC and Big East. I think Marshall has landed one top 150 (not top 100) player ever.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone realizes how terribly WSU recruits compared to the P5s plus AAC and Big East. I think Marshall has landed one top 150 (not top 100) player ever.
well clearly he gets guys that can play. isn't that was recruit is about?

Reaction Score
well clearly he gets guys that can play. isn't that was recruit is about?

Of course. I meant in terms of rankings. I imagine he just has a far better eye than schlubs like Evan Daniels and Eric Bossi. Which isn't shocking since he likely makes 30x more than those guys.

Reaction Score
Don't see much Jalen Carey in this thread. I see AAC.

Lets compare ourselves to the former Atlantic 10 school, Temple. Compared to their A10 numbers, Temple seems to be finding it easier to recruit in the AAC.

As has been said recruiting is an art and probably alot like fishing in that probability is involved. Good work puts the bait in front of fish, but fish don't always bite. If it bites, landing it is not automatic. If landed, it can spoil and not make it to the plate. If it make the plate, it might not taste like you thought it would and it might transfer and make you sick.

I think in recruiting we were about recovered from the sanctions when this terrible season befell us. We'll be back.

2010 UConn 3 ****, 2***, 1 **
Temple 1 **
2011 UConn 1 *****, 2****
Temple 1***
2012 UConn 1****, 1***
Temple 1***, 2 **
2013 UConn 1****, 3***
Temple 2***, 1*
2014 UConn 1****, 1*** 32-8
Temple 1**** 9-22
2015 UConn 2**** 20-15
Temple 3**** 26-11
2016 UConn 4****, 1*** 25-11
Temple 1****, 2*** 21-12
2017 UConn 2**** 16-17
Temple 3****, 1*** 16-16

Reaction Score
If this were true, his first 4 years would have been enough to pull in strong classes.

A good showing when they were banned, a national championship, and a conference championship were enough to keep the recruits coming.

But you are going to fall off in recruiting when you have one bad year.
We weren't a top 25 team his first year and we haven't been a top 25 team since the National Championship.

Reaction Score
We weren't a top 25 team his first year and we haven't been a top 25 team since the National Championship.

You're moving the goalposts now. The previous post was about winning the conference and being ranked. I gave you the years they did either one or the other.

Besides, even when it comes to polls, they were ranked for a few weeks up until the end of the first third of the season, 8 & 9 weeks, in 2015-2016. Also ranked after beating Michigan State and others in the opening of his first year.

Reaction Score
I think the thing people are missing about Gonzaga and WSU are that even if they don't get top recruits they still recruit well. They consistently win which for programs of their caliber is all you can really ask for

Reaction Score
You're moving the goalposts now. The previous post was about winning the conference and being ranked. I gave you the years they did either one or the other.

Besides, even when it comes to polls, they were ranked for a few weeks up until the end of the first third of the season, 8 & 9 weeks, in 2015-2016. Also ranked after beating Michigan State and others in the opening of his first year.
If we were winning our conference like we should be instead of finishing middle of the pack, recruiting would be good. Ollie needs to start earning his salary, the rest is just noise.

I'm not moving any goalposts. This is what was said by me and Hi-Low. We haven't been a top 25 team any of the seasons outside of our National title season. We start winning like we should and more top recruits will want to come here, this is really simple stuff.

Reaction Score
I'm not moving any goalposts. This is what was said by me and Hi-Low. We haven't been a top 25 team any of the seasons outside of our National title season. We start winning like we should and more top recruits will want to come here, this is really simple stuff.

Agree need to start winning again no doubt. I must admit though to me too many here throw out the 15-16 season as underachieving, not me. I had fun as a fan watching that and thought with the talent they had they did well. I mean they weren't great at all but managed to win the AAC tourney and then beat Colorado. KU was too good for them and Miller played his worst game of his last 10-12 games. For me it's not a throw away year as many of you prefer to make it. All comes back to recruiting and winning. Recruit better, smarter players and win more, and things will just snowball the right way. For now they have a ton of work to do, negative recruiting is simple for those out there so they need to grind, work harder than ever and over come. Also time for KO not to be friends with every coach, remembering they are smiling when in his face but banging him when they get the same guy to visit them. As Alice Cooper said, No More Mr Nice Guy...

Reaction Score

It's right in your post!! How can you even deny it?

"If we were winning our conference..."

They won it in 2015-2016!!

Reaction Score
It's right in your post!! How can you even deny it?

"If we were winning our conference..."

They won it in 2015-2016!!
Sweet, we strung a few games together one year in an otherwise disappointing non top 25 season. We start dominating our conference and go back to being a perennial top 25 team and the recruits will come. It's easy to blame the conference but our problems are self-inflicted.

Reaction Score
Sweet, we strung a few games together one year in an otherwise disappointing non top 25 season. We start dominating our conference and go back to being a perennial top 25 team and the recruits will come. It's easy to blame the conference but our problems are self-inflicted.

Just going by what you wrote.

As I said, they already were getting the recruits based on winning the national championship, having a good 2013, and also winning the conference in 2016. By the way, did you mean ranked in the top 25 at the end of the year?

Reaction Score
Just going by what you wrote.

As I said, they already were getting the recruits based on winning the national championship, having a good 2013, and also winning the conference in 2016. By the way, did you mean ranked in the top 25 at the end of the year?
Yes, top 25 at the end of the year. Nobody considers you a top 25 team if you are ranked for a couple of weeks in a 3 year period and never finish the season ranked. If Ollie gets the program back where it should be we will attract better recruits, it's not rocket science.

Reaction Score
Yes, top 25 at the end of the year. Nobody considers you a top 25 team if you are ranked for a couple of weeks in a 3 year period and never finish the season ranked. If Ollie gets the program back where it should be we will attract better recruits, it's not rocket science.

Never finished the season ranked????? They won the national championship!!

Reaction Score
Never finished the season ranked????? They won the national championship!!
Now you're just being difficult for the sake of being difficult. I already said several times they weren't ranked for any of Ollie's seasons besides the national championship season.

Reaction Score
Now you're just being difficult for the sake of being difficult. I already said several times they weren't ranked for any of Ollie's seasons besides the national championship season.
If you haven't noticed that's kind of his thing

Reaction Score
If you haven't noticed that's kind of his thing

Yes, I know it would make people very happy here if I stopped defending Ollie. It would be more harmonious if I piled on like many of you.

The point stands, UConn recruiting was helped by the early Ollie seasons, and the recruiting went well.

What didn't go well was the losing and the transfers this year. That's the only point I made. And, what's more, I have a memory. Until the season went south, almost everyone here was in agreement that recruiting was going well. So now all you guys are participating in some serious revisionism.

Reaction Score
Yes, I know it would make people very happy here if I stopped defending Ollie. It would be more harmonious if I piled on like many of you.

The point stands, UConn recruiting was helped by the early Ollie seasons, and the recruiting went well.

What didn't go well was the losing and the transfers this year. That's the only point I made. And, what's more, I have a memory. Until the season went south, almost everyone here was in agreement that recruiting was going well. So now all you guys are participating in some serious revisionism.
Just chill out man

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom